This week’s rejects

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery This week’s rejects

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

You’ve got an eye for composition, Uranus. Don’t be too hard on yourself; some of us have been doing this for 35 years or more. It *will* come. It took me a looong time –years– before I felt confident enough to enter a contest.

Curious
    Participant

It took me a looong time -years- before I felt confident enough to enter a contest.

then there are people like myself. i was trying to sell my photos at weekend fairs within a year or two of starting.

the paying public let me know it was too early 🙁 it was fun to do though and i did learn a bit about what folks like.

if i’ve learned anything in doing these contest it’s to shoot what you like, enter it and let the chips fall where they may. some of the ones i’ve liked the best did terribly and the ho-hum stuff got votes.

Uranus
    Participant

thanks guys! cheers me up no end…

QuickSilver
    Participant

too damn many…….and still didn’t pick the right ones to get a respectable number of votes. 😳 just proves that decent kit doesn’t make a decent photographer,i guess.

Don’t forget the tag line for the site. “It’s not photography, it’s Farktography”Your abilities as a photographer will be little measured in contests that have submissions taken with cellphones and votes proffered by the same folks. I like your stuff and have the same hard time with the entries that are out of focus, off theme, 10 seconds of thought put into it and then shot with a cell phone that gets more votes than a shot that I labored over to get the lighting right, the composition right and hours of thought that I might put in to find something to fit the theme.
    Keep the faith and don’t give up.

XenPix
    Participant

I got my first camera when I was 8 years old (and let me assure you that is some time ago now! 😉 ) and I can still take some gawd awful shots. I think it’s just the percentages or ratios that change. 😀

SilverStag
    Participant

I’m not sure the ratios even change that much: we train ourselves to see more and probably we shoot more; so we end up with more keepers that way. I think the quality of our keepers improves with time.

Uranus
    Participant

I think the quality of our keepers improves with time.

as with our girlfriends, so with our pictures?

staplermofo
    Participant

I think the quality of our keepers improves with time.

as with our girlfriends, so with our pictures?

So that’s why I’ve got nothing lately.

Curious
    Participant

then there are people like myself. i was trying to sell my photos at weekend fairs within a year or two of starting.

the paying public let me know it was too early Sad it was fun to do though and i did learn a bit about what folks like.

i was going through some old pictures today and found these 4 x 5 slides of one weekends endevour to sell some prints. http://www.flickr.com/photos/57055068@N00/ the “boards” the prints are displayed on was drywall. nice neutral gray and cheap.

that is an old school bus that i bought and converted. it was fun in it’s own way. and yes this was in the mid ’70s, why do you ask?

XenPix
    Participant

I’ve got rejects coming outta my butt today. It was so hard to pick one. 🙁

They’re on my flickr page ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenpix ) if you want to see them and a preview of the entries I’ll be shoving in this week in the vain hope that someone might take pity on a half blind woman with a camera. 😉

millera9
    Participant

I’ve got rejects coming outta my butt today. It was so hard to pick one. 🙁

They’re on my flickr page ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenpix ) if you want to see them and a preview of the entries I’ll be shoving in this week in the vain hope that someone might take pity on a half blind woman with a camera. 😉

You’re too hard on yourself Xen, I don’t have anything that could compete with most of those (we’ll see what I come up with before the thread goes green tonight…)

XenPix
    Participant

I’m just self deprecating, or something. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘This week’s rejects’ is closed to new replies.