Unexpected reflections

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Unexpected reflections

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I spent some time last night shooting and upon review this morning, I noted an odd reflection in this series of shots.

[img]
    The Palace Arms at night by Craig in TO, on Flickr

The neon sign is reflected in the diagonal corner, none of the surrounding surfaces were reflective and they are on opposite sides of the building. There is nothing across the street that would cause this either.

How did this happen? Is it something in the camera/lens that does it?

(this was something I spotted when the phone booth contest was proposed and decided to shoot it anyway)

sleeping
    Participant

I believe what you’re seeing is a reflection off the sensor, then back from the rear element of the lens. This is something that tends to happen more with older lenses that predate DSLRs – sensors are more reflective than film, and they weren’t designed to deal with that.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I believe what you’re seeing is a reflection off the sensor, then back from the rear element of the lens. This is something that tends to happen more with older lenses that predate DSLRs – sensors are more reflective than film, and they weren’t designed to deal with that.

Okay, that makes sense I was shooting with my Nikkor 28-70, and it’s an older lens.

Thanks Sleeping!

caradoc
    Participant

It also happens when people keep a UV filter or other piece of unnecessary glass on the front of their lens.

chupathingie
    Participant

Man, if I could block UV without reflections… saw the exact same thing doing a run of astrophotos. It tamed the purple halos, but at a price…

/cool pic. Conspicuously absent payphones, even.

caradoc
    Participant

You shooting film for the astrophotos? Most digital cameras have a built-in UV/IR filter on the sensor… which is why I mentioned “unnecessary.”

chupathingie
    Participant

Good enough UV block for terrestrial, but stars are bright in UV with a black (or considerably darker) background. Even with APO glass you see purple halos around them.

I wonder if a rear filter would be less prone to visible reflections?

caradoc
    Participant

I wonder if a rear filter would be less prone to visible reflections?

Likely.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Unexpected reflections’ is closed to new replies.