Venus brightest Saturday a.m.; rural fartog-op.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Venus brightest Saturday a.m.; rural fartog-op.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

Venus, when at her brightest, is stunning in pictures, whether telescopic or p/s-ic.

But didja know that she can be bright enough to cast shadows? Saturday Dec. 4 she’ll be at her very brightest– magnitude -4.9 (that’s 25 times as bright as the brightest star) And the moon won’t rise till 2 hours after Venus, which is about the end-time for dark skies anyway (not to mention the phase).

Should you be in a rural or dark area of the world *coughsooshcough*–excuse me–it might be a neat opportunity to capture some 10-60 second exposure of some scene at a high ISO but descent enough aperture to capture a nice scene with Vesuvian shadows.

I’ll have to try Sunday, as I won’t get out of work early enough on Saturday.

chupathingie
    Participant

hmmmm… neat idea…. haven’t tested out the hi ISO on my cam on anything yet. Willing to bet that 25600 is pretty noisy, tho… but I do have an f1.2 lens that would work nicely with that…

soosh
    Participant

I’ll have to look for it. I was out with the dog at 5am the other day and venus was definitely way brighter than I ever remember seeing it, but that night there was a half-moon.

right now, though, our skies are clouded up and we’re having quite a bit of snow. it should pass through and be clear again for a while, though.

ravnostic
    Participant

keep me posted!

Curious
    Participant

while i’m not truly rural it’s pretty dark here. unfortunately for sky viewing there are countless tress that block the horizon so unless whatever i want to see is 45 degrees plus above the horizon it’s hidden.

SilverStag
    Participant

These astronomical photo-ops are a useful weather prediction tool- I can tell, sometimes months ahead of time, what nights will be overcast or rainy.

Curious
    Participant

my luck seems to run the same way. big meteor shower, clear the night before and the night after, cloudy the night of.

orionid
    Participant

ditto. That’s why I haven’t told the weatherman that there’s a lunar eclipse on the solstice. Then again, the feast preparations my pagan friends are making for that just might give it away.

ravnostic
    Participant

These astronomical photo-ops are a useful weather prediction tool- I can tell, sometimes months ahead of time, what nights will be overcast or rainy.

ta funnay!

It’s true, even in sunny Arizona. I had to wait for a cloud break to capture my moon. I had about 10 minutes with it before it got clouded over again. Tomorrow morning’s opportunity looks to be overcast as well, so maybe no Vesuvian shadows for me…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Venus brightest Saturday a.m.; rural fartog-op.’ is closed to new replies.