Well Played Nikonians…I’ll See You All IN HELL!!

Forums Forums Get Technical Hardware Well Played Nikonians…I’ll See You All IN HELL!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant
    Farktographer
    Participant

I’ll bring my Nikon. We can shoot fire and brimstone together and compare images 😉

Curious
    Participant

“Nikon’s little entry-level DSLR, the D5100, comes in just above the vaunted (but outgoing) Canon 5D Mark II …..”

makes me feel better about getting one. i couldn’t afford the D7000 and my D3000 while still fairly new lacks the D5100s features.

by just trading up within nikon i can use the 18-105 and the 55-300 lenses plus the ext tubes i already have. all i had to buy besides the body was an extra battery.

Yugoboy
    Participant

“Nikon’s little entry-level DSLR, the D5100, comes in just above the vaunted (but outgoing) Canon 5D Mark II …..”

makes me feel better about getting one. i couldn’t afford the D7000 and my D3000 while still fairly new lacks the D5100s features.

Fun toy, no?

My neighbor has the 3000, and he’s a bit jealous of mine. However, it seems I’m using mine more than he’s using his.

The flip out screen is really handy. It’s a good thing my wife bought mine for my birthday, because I’m too cheap to have paid extra for that, but I use mine constantly. Keeps me from having to lay on the ground, allows me to shoot over people’s heads, and other cool stuff. I know I’m not using nearly enough of the features, but I’m having a blast.

I hope you do too.

Curious
    Participant

I know I’m not using nearly enough of the features, but I’m having a blast.

I hope you do too.

please excuse the slow response. yes, i am having fun with mine, fold out screen and all. have shot a bit of video just to see what it looks like and it’s pretty darned good.

i got mine because 1) i hadn’t bought a new gadget in a while 2) it has more MP and is therefore better 3) the swing out screen 4) my existing lenses fit 5) i should be able to sell the D3000 kit w/o taking a big loss.

i’m still not sold on the autofocus of either the D3000 or D5100 at a 100 yards or more. i want razor sharp photos of birds in flight by just aiming in their area and pressing the shutter. and DAMMIT it’s not happening. just because the bird is only <5% of the image area there is no reason for it not to be critically sharp and look great when blown up 400%.

right?

sleeping
    Participant

Does the 5100 have a focus priority setting for continuous AF? Release priority can cause that problem when you’re tracking moving objects.

Curious
    Participant

i get what i deem to be less than critically sharp photos of birds on fence posts too. having been taught to check sharpness with a grain magnifier i’m picky. i need to go out some day with the new camera to the coast where there is an abundance of seagulls and shoot them. flying, walking, standing, at 25 yards 50, 100, 500 — ok that may be too far away. and the coast with open sunlight should produce high enough shutter speeds that i can rule out hand shake. or i could use a tripod since, you know, i keep one in the car.

one of fthe problems with manual focus on my lenses is that they were designed for use by folks who never manually focus. the focusing rings are pathetic.

i have read about lenses that front or back focus and will do some more tests for that too. i like the camera and the lenses and am ok with the photos — usually.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

one of fthe problems with manual focus on my lenses is that they were designed for use by folks who never manually focus. the focusing rings are pathetic.

I had a similar problem with a lens and I found it so infuriating I put it in a draw and never use it. I don’t use autofocus so I’ll never buy a lens that doesn’t work well when manually focusing. The one I hate came with the camera.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Well Played Nikonians…I’ll See You All IN HELL!!’ is closed to new replies.