What about two weekly contests?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill What about two weekly contests?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mikemikeb
    Participant

With all the interesting things happening here right now, how about we change some things here in Farktographyworld?

To start, how about two weekly contests? After all, there are so many good ideas in the forums, and we can always use the classics if need be. I suggest contests on Monday and Thursday nights, at 8 PM ET. That way, both contests will start (and be called) on a weekday, and will be spaced so that they’re not too close together.

Also, I suggest the idea given by schnee to automate the calling of the Farktography contest. I’d love to link it to you, but someone deleted that thread…

In addition, I wonder who would manage the site if something unfortunate happened to veruca, as it seems like she makes every single decision around here. (I preliminarily suggest staplermofo.)

As an aside — I just want to also note that if I’m going to contact any Farktographer, it won’t be by email, as I don’t check it back often enough.

veruca
    Participant

With all the interesting things happening here right now, how about we change some things here in Farktographyworld?

To start, how about two weekly contests? After all, there are so many good ideas in the forums, and we can always use the classics if need be. I suggest contests on Monday and Thursday nights, at 8 PM ET. That way, both contests will start (and be called) on a weekday, and will be spaced so that they’re not too close together.

Also, I suggest the idea given by schnee to automate the calling of the Farktography contest. I’d love to link it to you, but someone deleted that thread…

In addition, I wonder who would manage the site if something unfortunate happened to veruca, as it seems like she makes every single decision around here. (I preliminarily suggest staplermofo.)

As an aside — I just want to also note that if I’m going to contact any Farktographer, it won’t be by email, as I don’t check it back often enough.

did i miss the memo proclaiming it bash on veruca day? i don’t make every single decision around here; there’s a lot of decisions made behind the scenes and mine is just another voice in the crowd.

the admins for farktography are me, monkeybort, idle_hands, staplermofo, GalleyWench, and logomancer. if something were to happen to me *glances curiously at mikebmikeb to see if he’s plotting my demise* then most likely idle_hands would take over and distribute the roles as she sees fit.

we’ve had a discussion before about changing the night and it was decided (again, not just by me but by the power of the vote) that it would stay on wednesday nights. you can start a new poll if you like, and also one for multiple contests. that’s what the voting booth is for.

i’m sorry to glean from this that you’re not satisfied in some way with how things are run around here. i’m not sure what i may have done to offend you but my inbox is always open, and you can PM me here at the forums at any time if you want to air a grievance.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I know this has been suggested before, though I can’t find the exact thread. But here’s the one where there was a poll (posted by veruca) so everyone could decide the day of the contest:

http://farktography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

Looks like Wednesday won handily…

My memory of the ‘adding another contest’ thread was that it didn’t get any traction either of the other times it was brought up.

mikemikeb
    Participant

did i miss the memo proclaiming it bash on veruca day? … *glances curiously at mikebmikeb to see if he’s plotting my demise*

No, there was no memo, and please don’t be offended! I don’t wish on you and/or yours any ill and/or harm.

if something were to happen to me then most likely idle_hands would take over and distribute the roles as she sees fit.

Fine enough. I haven’t been calling for any mutinies here, and most of the admins here have done a great job as far as I know.

i don’t make every single decision around here; there’s a lot of decisions made behind the scenes and mine is just another voice in the crowd.

And the selection of the Forks theme was about the best way to point out that thing. I’ve never seen that much openly public forum discussion about approving a theme before. It’s probably private otherwise, which I can understand.

my inbox is always open, and you can PM me here at the forums at any time if you want to air a grievance.

Note taken. However, the private forums to me aren’t the best way to resolve this specific matter as a) the public should understand the mechanics of yesterday’s thread removal; this should not be private; b) I find that confidence is built when matters like these are dealt with and resolved in a fair, open, and public manner.

i’m sorry to glean from this that you’re not satisfied in some way with how things are run around here. i’m not sure what i may have done to offend you but

Any ultimate (and possibly unplaced) beef against you was as a result of the deletion of brian‘s poll yesterday. For the most part, it became a civil discussion of how to make the site better, with one exception: Claims from brian saying how you, among other things, were basically unwilling to exchange messages involved with his development of the Farktography site, in addition to you failing to notify him of your approval of LE’s site idea. If you didn’t find it to be truth (as might be the case), all you had to do was state in the thread where and how he was lying. There’s no need to make it look like it didn’t exist. You don’t need to have anybody (others included, if they deleted that thread) giving off any whiff of an impression that you’re not very openly receptive to criticism against yourself, and/or you’re a fan of damage control.

Point is: Someone deleted the thread. I don’t know if it was you, and it could have been someone else, for all I know, but I can best see you doing it. Of course there may have been something inappropriate between about 3:15 PM ET and when I first later re-checked around 10:00 PM that night (the period of when I didn’t check the thread), and if so, I’m open to a public understanding. Brownie points for also stating who physically deleted the thread, and how many (and preferably who) agreed on doing so.

Personally, I would have preferred if brian and LE could have worked together from day one, and have had the entire community able to check in on the development and provide comments in this forum on how to improve it.

Now to the poll idea:

I know this has been suggested before, though I can’t find the exact thread. But here’s the one where there was a poll (posted by veruca) so everyone could decide the day of the contest:

http://farktography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

Looks like Wednesday won handily…

Interesting. I didn’t know that was there, as I wasn’t into the forum until toward my joindate. I wouldn’t normally believe that people would be receptive to having them on Sunday nights over Mondays. Maybe have the contests Sunday and Wednesday nights then?

you can start a new poll if you like, and also one for multiple contests. that’s what the voting booth is for.

http://forum.farktography.net/viewtopic.php?t=535

done!

Morningbreath
    Participant

I am not thrilled with all the hashing and strife regarding the farktography site that is going on.I am glad that thread was made private. Let the mods and admins sort everything out.

I just want to post my photos.

idle_hands
    Participant

just to clarify mikemikeb, it was a group decsion, by the mods & the technical folks who will be working on the website, to move the thread in question to the “Site Redesign” section of the forum. there will be opportunity for more input as it is still in progress.

i looked after updating the website until health concerns made it clear that i couldn’t give farktography the attention it deserved. i asked veruca if she would be willing to take over. she graciously agreed & and has done a fine job. no one could have predicted this latest upset. for the most part, decisions are made by consensus, after much discussion.

staplermofo
    Participant

I am not thrilled with all the hashing and strife regarding the farktography site that is going on.I am glad that thread was made private. Let the mods and admins sort everything out.

Hey, mods just want to post photos too. Some of us don’t even sort our laundry.

All those harsh rules about banninations and not talking about banninations on Fark make so much more sense now, in a horrible, life-ruining kind of way.
    Don’t worry mikemikeb, everybody that was working on it before is working on it again and all is well enough. Things were ugly and unsubstaniated and nobody should see that. Input is always welcome, so don’t be shy about it, even if it’s something like “staplermofo should stop posting staplers in every farking thread!”. It was the tone and the subsequent regret that got it pulled. It was just pulled too, not deleted.

mikemikeb
    Participant

it was a group decsion, by the mods & the technical folks who will be working on the website, to move the thread in question to the “Site Redesign” section of the forum. there will be opportunity for more input as it is still in progress.

I was just checking the main forum page, and I don’t see this “Site Redesign” section. Where do I comment if need be? Who will be able to give any input? Just admins or something?

monkeybort
    Participant

it was a group decsion, by the mods & the technical folks who will be working on the website, to move the thread in question to the “Site Redesign” section of the forum. there will be opportunity for more input as it is still in progress.

I was just checking the main forum page, and I don’t see this “Site Redesign” section. Where do I comment if need be? Who will be able to give any input? Just admins or something?

it got to be a ‘too many cooks’ situation. brian and LE are going to work together and (i believe, any other mods correct me if i’m wrong) once they have the basic design and skeleton up it will be made public for comments.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, mikemikeb, Lord Ezekiel and Brian have chosen to fall back and begin with the most basic of re-design decisions, that of the technical aspects of which content management platform to choose and wby. A discussion and decision on that doesn’t really need everyone’s input–the tech gurus can best make that decision, not the rest of us who may have no understanding of the nitty gritty technical reasons for what would be the better choice there. They each developed their sites on different CMS systems, so they can’t directly port each other’s elements, but I’m confident their plan is to work up the best of each, though whatever initial site gets stood will almost certainly not be the final version, as I think the goal at this point is just to get going with something and iron out the rest in the rest in the coming days/weeks. I’m confident there will be some input involved again when teh time is appropriate, but at this level of decision making, trying to herd cats around making a CMS platform decision would be counterproductive. I completely agree with you that there are things that would be nice to have input from the community at large on, but there are other things that opening it up for input from everyone will only hamper progress. Group dynamics and all…

Also for what it’s worth, LE actually was the one who suggested moving the thread to the private forum. He specifically wanted to be able to reference to the good feedback in that thread, of which you gave some great constructive criticism, so I’m sure some of that will also drive the direction from the get-go.

This is just my understanding of the situation, and not at all authoritative. I do think this situation will get resolved for the best, but I also think we all need to stand back and just let them get to work…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

d’oh all my long windedness at the same time as monkeybort’s much more succinct response 😉

staplermofo
    Participant

d’oh all my long windedness at the same time as monkeybort’s much more succinct response 😉

That has happened to me for my last 3 posts.

… … …
    It never stops hurting.

schnee
    Participant

Also, I suggest the idea given by schnee to automate the calling of the Farktography contest.

I’m pretty sure that MB‘s desire resonates in all of us.

The more automation we have, the more time we have for other things. The calling of the contest on Thursday nights could be automated somewhat quickly (but I have been spending a bit too much marital capital on the FSM recently) and that would free up veruca (or whomever) from having to manually call it. That calling of the contest could even auto-post to Fark the traditional “congrats and see you all next week” message. Big down side, auto-calling would not leave room for DQs – the FSM is very far from allowing easy overrides in a timely manner, and I’m not gonna sit at home on Thursday night to manually execute some SQL statements. To reiterate, the best place to handle rule violations is at Fark.com. The Photoshoppers do it that way, why can’t Farktography?

More on the automation trail – Auto-Boobies, SelfService-OBO-Overrides and even Auto-OBO-Posting. Wouldn’t those be neat? That last one really required authentication and authorization, so it timeframe is a bit out there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘What about two weekly contests?’ is closed to new replies.