When do you vote?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Claff
    Participant

Just got home from work and posted my three pics, and I see there’s already 230-something posts ahead of mine. Seeing this and the “I’m impressed” post from pre-11PM last night makes me wonder exactly how up against a wall Fark Freebie folks like me are.

Do you TFers vote before going to bed, possibly before the contest even hits Fark Cheapskate’s front page, and not go back? Do you wait till first thing in the morning and never go back, or do you check in at night and then revisit later when the cheapskates have a chance to participate and see if they contributed anything worth voting for?

staplermofo
    Participant

Just got home from work and posted my three pics, and I see there’s already 230-something posts ahead of mine. Seeing this and the “I’m impressed” post from pre-11PM last night makes me wonder exactly how up against a wall Fark Freebie folks like me are.

Do you TFers vote before going to bed, possibly before the contest even hits Fark Cheapskate’s front page, and not go back? Do you wait till first thing in the morning and never go back, or do you check in at night and then revisit later when the cheapskates have a chance to participate and see if they contributed anything worth voting for?

The wall is pretty huge. I try not to vote until 10AM or so, but the waiters are a minority.

For what it’s worth, here’s a break up of how people have looked at the thread (from my site’s monitor, divide by 3 for page hits, add three hours for fark time)
    Jun/ 7/06 5:00 PM? 6:00 PM 324
    Jun/ 7/06 6:00 PM? 7:00 PM 341
    Jun/ 7/06 7:00 PM? 8:00 PM 270
    Jun/ 7/06 8:00 PM? 9:00 PM 285
    Jun/ 7/06 9:00 PM?10:00 PM 1014
    Jun/ 7/06 10:00 PM?11:00 PM 2820
    Jun/ 7/06 11:00 PM?12:00 AM 1339
    Jun/ 8/06 12:00 AM? 1:00 AM 611

So, while some (most?) of the voting is done before green-lighting, most of the views come after it.
    Then there are the people who vote (or don’t, in that copyright issue debacle) for all the wrong reasons.

So, even if you don’t get #1, rest assured that I’m (and probably quite a few others) a big fan of your stuff.

That said, TF is worth the $5 if you post more than 10x/week.

schnee
    Participant

Personally, I vote once Thursday Morning and then maybe again in the afternoon.

If you look at the FSM‘s “Total Votes Per Theme” report, you can see the beakdown of voting for entries posted before and after the mainpage listing time. It gives you a feel for the how votes skew.

An earlier incarnation of the FSM performed an analysis of the top-three vote getters relative to mainpage listing. Almost all the time, the top-three went to entries posted before the mainpage listing (TF’er entries). Here’s a dated version of that analysis:

[img=http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/657/finishers1lx.th.jpg]

Regression analysis also revealed that there is a definite correlation between earlier posting and votes received. Not a super strong correlation, but it is there.

All that said, I echo staplermofo‘s sentiment: I like your stuff and encourage you to continue. If nothing else, the FSM’s “Spotlight On” feature is participation-based: the more you enter, the more likely you are to get the Spotlight.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I generally don’t vote Wednesday either. The first contest I entered I realized I had to keep going back and voting again and again because new entries were being submitted so quickly. So now I save time and wait until Thursday to vote 😉

Claff
    Participant

Oh it’s not like I’m not going to stop participating, Farktography is next best thing to racing season as far as getting me out with the camera and shooting something other than the average snapshot. I’m way over-camera’d considering my level of (cough) expertise (cough) but seeing what works in Farktography is getting me to close the gap.

Not that I’ve figured out what works in Farktography. My highest vote-getter is a pic that, to me, is pretty iffy in conception and merely adequate in execution. The ones I thought would be a big hit pretty much died on the vine.

On the other hand, that high vote-getter was one of the first posted by a Liter shortly after the contest hit the front page. It got me thinking that, for those of us vain enough to watch the vote counts, perhaps timing trumps photo quality?

monkeybort
    Participant

i generally vote as i go – i’ll keep refreshing on wednesday nights and then do another run through on thursday morning at work.

now that i don’t have intarwebs at home for a while, i’m definitely a thurs. morning gal.

and claff – i feel your pain re: the vagaries of the voting. i still can’t believe the shot that won the b/w contest, and i’m honestly surprised that as many people liked my ‘signs’ entry. it’s one of my favorite shots but it’s a little out there, so the voting was most unexpected. but then i think i enter some really great stuff that everyone will love and i get a resounding ‘meh’ via the votes.

oh well, there’s no counting on public opinion i guess. 😀

/my $.02

schnee
    Participant

i think i enter some really great stuff that everyone will love and i get a resounding ‘meh’ via the votes.

I thought that only happened to me… 😉

staplermofo
    Participant

i think i enter some really great stuff that everyone will love and i get a resounding ‘meh’ via the votes.

Happened to me every time I had the slightest bit of confidence in my post. I guess the flying spaghetti monster can’t have us getting cocky.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I generally vote twice, I vote early, becuase I do not like to wait, and then I vote again toward the end of the contest. If there is a liter’s picture I particularly like, I will also point it out in the thread.

monkeybort
    Participant

oh no………..there is another. *grin*

veruca
    Participant

I usually wait to vote until the next morning after the thread goes front page just because so many people post after I go to bed/get ready for work.

I second the getting a TF account if you can swing it though! I’ve been a TF’ette since about 2 weeks before I found farktography and it’s more than worth the $5 a month if for nothing else than being able to post right way and getting to read all the threads that never hits the main page. *ooh huge run on sentence*

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘When do you vote?’ is closed to new replies.