Will you send me some food?

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Pollage Will you send me some food?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Curious
    Participant

Why do you shoot with your glasses on? I’ve got the diopter on mine set to the astigmatism in my left eye (left-eyed weirdos unite!) so that I can shoot without my stupid glasses on. My biggest problem is that my ridiculous nose touches the screen and leaves a nice big smudge!

what he said. all of it.

besides with my glasses on i can’t really see through the viewfinder properly.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

My prescription is heavier than the diopter correction on the viewfinder. On the 30D, the dioptic correction goes from -3 to +1. My prescription is -4.25. I’ve also just always shot with my glasses on (other than when wearing contacts, of course, though that’s rare these days), so I’m pretty used to it. No problems seeing through the viewfinder.

millera9
    Participant

Ah, I see! *pun intended*

Now that you mention it, your stuff usually does have excellent focus, so it obviously doesn’t affect you. I can’t see the exposure info at the bottom of the viewfinder if I shoot with my glasses on.

XenPix
    Participant

Why do you shoot with your glasses on? I’ve got the diopter on mine set to the astigmatism in my left eye (left-eyed weirdos unite!) so that I can shoot without my stupid glasses on. My biggest problem is that my ridiculous nose touches the screen and leaves a nice big smudge!

/Thanks for the explanation of the ‘*’ button btw!

My left eye didn’t work for 18 years (or at least my brain didn’t listen to it), 3D was a very strange experience. Still, 18 years of seeing in 2D tends to help you work out the composition of a photo. 😉

I stick my right eye into the viewfinder (since it works proper) and still get big nose smudges on my screen. I’m waiting for bogey trails on the dang thing when I get a cold. That would be VERY unpleasant.

millera9
    Participant

I’m the same way, but opposite. My brain processes very little of the information from my (shitty) right eye. Sometimes I’ll close my left eye while driving (on straight sections of freeway, when no one’s around) just to see what I can do. I can barely keep track of what’s going on, let alone drive safely. With my right eye closed, it’s like nothing is different. My depth perception is even pretty good with my right eye closed. Weird how your brain adjusts.

monkeybort
    Participant

i shoot with my glasses on, too.

i believe the * button is also the one i use to focus.

/heh, my misleading coffee comment worked! mwahahahahahahaaaa

Analogy
    Participant

pardon? isn’t it the smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field? and the higher the ISO the greater the light gathering?

Meh, yes that’s what I meant. I think I was thinking something like “Open the aperture for more background separation” or something like that and “depth of field” slipped in there somehow.

but if you’re shooting RAW, 100 lets you dig a lot deeper into the shadows for detail.

when i first got into B/W photography i was taught to shoot tri-x at 250 then under develop slightly to get shadow detail w/o getting too much noticeable grain. is this similar? i really don’t understand why letting in less light would produce more detail. with film the actual media (the film coating) is different for different ISOs. or is there something in the software that produces the same results.[/quote]

Shooting at ISO 100 means you’re letting in more light.

You could get away with pull-processing (i.e. shooting 400 ISO film at 250) with film because it’s amazingly tolerant of highlights, but it’s lacking in shadow detail so you’d pull process it to get those shadows back. With digital it’s the opposite, highlights clip a lot faster than film but you’ve got easily a good couple stops of detail in the shadows, especially at a low-noise ISO setting like 100. A lot of times if I’ve got a highlight-heavy scene I’ll intentionally underexpose a couple stops to preserve the highlights and bring the mids and shadows back in post.

I shoot with glasses too. I tried getting one of those eyepiece extenders to help but I didn’t like it, made the viewfinder look too small and added a little bit of barrel distortion to it too. Now I just put up with it.

What I do to avoid smudgies on the LCD is put one of those plastic protecting sheets over it.

“Rear button focusing” is custom function 4 on the 30D. I’ve honestly never had a problem with accidentally taking a shot while holding the shutter down halfway, there’s a definite “click” in the button that requires positive pressure to go further. When I have it set to the high speed drive mode I know I have trouble taking just one shot (I leave it in single shot mostly anyway, even for sports). I know when I tried my friend’s 5D the button felt very mushy and I could definitely see someone taking shots accidentally with that. It’s strange because the 30D and 5D are built on the same basic body design, they even take the same battery grip.

staplermofo
    Participant

Powerstrips do NOTHING!

You’ll get sharper pictures with manual focusing with practice. Until then, the dof guide is your friend.
    A tot stapler on a string swaying in front of a propped up book makes for great focusing practice at huge apertures. You should drag 3 tires behind you and run 5 miles on wet sand before you practice. Or at least try to focus when you’re tired and shakey.

Also, you’re got waaaay more color depth now, fiddle with the levels, you’ll be shocked. You’ll also notice that the range goes down as ISO goes up.

millera9
    Participant

Yeah, even though I only shot jpg’s last weekend, I’m noticing that the colors are much more robust without being oversaturated. I like it.

I might not take your advice on practicing with a stapler, but you can be sure that I’ll practice! 🙂

Curious
    Participant

i shot 77 exposures today testing my 75-300 at full tele. have 23 that i was going to put on flickr for you folks to look at but that will use my 100MB monthly limit and then some. i’ll have to cull them some more.

tomorrow is a work day and thursday i’ve got to take a friend to mc comb so it may be this weekend before they’re up.

millera9 i was inspired by your crane head. had to see what mine could do although the distances are nowhere near as great. mine are almost all at the closest focus distance.

and re color the 7D is much better than the 7i which in turn is better than the point and shoots.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Wow…

So I sent my 30D to Canon for sensor cleaning. We shipped it at close of business last Thursday (May 10), so it went out Friday and arrived in NJ on Monday. Got an email confirming they’d received it, evaluated it, and would be starting on it at no cost to me. Then I got an email this morning saying they’d completed the work and sent it out yesterday. I just checked the tracking on it, and it’s due to be delivered today. One.single.week. They did a great job with the A620 we sent in back in December (and quick then, too–replaced the lens unit during Christmas rush and it only took 10 days from send out to receiving it back), and now I’ll have my 30D for the weekend. Sorry to threadjack, Miller, just gotta say I’m happy with Canon’s service.

And the reason this isn’t a complete and total threadjack (cause it’s sorta related)–do you have your replacement/your camera fixed yet, Miller?

Analogy
    Participant

Hmm, that’s good news for me, I just sent in my 100-400 lens to get it repaired, I’m hoping I won’t be without it for too long.

millera9
    Participant

Indeed, the camera is back! It arrived yesterday and I picked it up last night. Haven’t had a chance to play around with it yet, but they indicated that they’d found and fixed the hot pixel! Woohoo! Calumet also paid the shipping costs for me so this little adventure turned out to have absolutely no cost for me. And they fixed it in a much more timely manner than they said they would. Props to Canon and Calumet all around!

/*Tries to do the bort dance…*
    //*Breaks ankle*

Elsinore
    Keymaster

That’s excellent! Well the camera, not the broken ankle 😉 I just got mine back and it looks like they found something up with my focusing screen and may have replaced it (the message is kind of cryptic, but I think that’s what they’re saying), and they cleaned the viewfinder and sensor as well as updating my firmware which I hadn’t bothered with. My viewfinder was definitely dusty and it’s sparkling clean now. Haven’t taken any pictures to check the sensor, but I’m sure it’s fine. Looks like they snapped off 600 pictures or so in the process of checking it.

Analogy: hope they get your lens back to you quickly, too! Which service center did it go to? I’ve now had great experiences with both the one outside Chicago and the one in NJ.

Analogy
    Participant

There’s one in Chicago? Meh. Canon web site said I could send it to either CA or NJ, and I picked NJ. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to pay for the repair since I’m the second owner of the lens (boooo). We’ll see what Canon says when they receive it. I tried calling the service center and the representative said they couldn’t give any repair estimates over the phone. Booooo. I’m just crossing my fingers for something really simple like a misaligned element they can just pop back into place that will get it out of there for really cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘Will you send me some food?’ is closed to new replies.