Wish me luck V3; ISS transiting the ‘Supermoon’ (bah!)

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill Wish me luck V3; ISS transiting the ‘Supermoon’ (bah!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ravnostic
    Participant

First things first: I loathe the ‘Supermoon’ media crap. Like it doesn’t happen every 14 months or so. Get over it.

However, it IS a very bright moon, and it happens that some 40 miles from my home I’ll be in position to capture the ISS transiting it. Its also a very BIG moon; so it will BARELY fit into my telescope/camera FOV (and only if I center it perfectly, so here’s hoping. As I recall, the solar transit lasted 1.5 seconds (I got the last 1/2 of it in 3 frames); this will last 2.2 seconds; maybe I’ll get 4 frames? It will be a little easier to be prepared, though; I’ll see it coming overhead at least until it reaches the earth’s shadow, so my reaction time should be a little faster.

Tricky: need a high enough ISO to shoot 1/3200th to 1/4000th second frames, but low enough to not get a bunch of noise. Hoping the added brightness will be helpful. Wish me luck again!

staplermofo
    Participant

Good luck.
    If you get lucky now, I want the expanded shot info to look like this:
    shutter 1/4000s
    ISO: 3200
    camera: Rebel XSi
    telescope: Celestron NexStar 8SE
    luck: staplermofo’s wish

ravnostic
    Participant

I did get it, but it’s not very sharp (my bad). It’s in this week’s contest anyway.

ravnostic
    Participant

Here’s one from yesterday with the sun; it was just past high-noon (astro-noon, that is), so the ISS was as big as it can be. I’m also not entirely happy with the focus; but it wasn’t the focus, it was the atmosphere in this case.

http://fossilspringsaz.com/pics/2013/jun/26/isssolstice1.jpg

staplermofo
    Participant

Here. I checked the Exif, didn’t see luck attributed to me. That should help you take care of that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Wish me luck V3; ISS transiting the ‘Supermoon’ (bah!)’ is closed to new replies.