Wonderful?

Forums Forums News Articles and Info Wonderful?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Zero_Exponent
    Participant

I was checking my stats on Flickr just now, when I noticed a referral from the domain of “photopoly.net”. I followed the link, and here’s what I found: http://www.photopoly.net/30-wonderful-examples-of-scanography/
    … apparently, the author thinks I’m wonderful 🙄
    On the one hand, I’m a little flattered. On the other, I’m not especially proud of that photo, nor am I terribly impressed with some of the photos that made the list. I mean, I’ve done a handful of scanography images and … well, that was one of them.
    What I am wondering is, how pissed should I be that this site is using my photo without my knowledge? I’m pretty sure that what they’ve done here is illegal. My photos are all set at “all rights reserved”, which I thought meant they have to ask before using my photo for commercial gain, even if I’m credited.
    Your thoughts please, farktographers? Off to go read some legalese on Flickr, BBL.

Farktographer
    Participant

Eh…if it was me, personally, I wouldn’t care. If you’d rather he not use your photo though, shoot him an e-mail and ask him to take it down.

sleeping
    Participant

Also, you can make it more difficult for people to do that by disabling sharing on your Flickr account (your account > privacy and permissions). That way people can only easily get a link to your flickr photo page, not the embed codes and stuff.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Meh, it’s just a blog. I wouldn’t get to upset especially when he is praising your work. It could be worse, he could be making fun of your photo like mine!
    http://ihateyourhdr.tumblr.com/page/8 (Mustang Ragtop)

I laughed at this BTW.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Meh, it’s just a blog. I wouldn’t get to upset especially when he is praising your work. It could be worse, he could be making fun of your photo like mine!
    http://ihateyourhdr.tumblr.com/page/8 (Mustang Ragtop)

I laughed at this BTW.

😮 You’re right, that is worse. What a douche. I notice the first photo mentioned on that page has 17 500 views and 300 something favorites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kros/3213219623/in/photostream/
    (the one right beside it of the double decker bus is pretty sweet too IMO)

I think I’ll write the author, and tell them to take it down like Farktographer said, because it rubs me the wrong way that I wasn’t asked; and also take sleeping‘s suggestion so it hopefully doesn’t happen again. Thanks guys.

olavf
    Participant

I’d probably ask them to take it down on principle. Mostly because I hate hate hate people’s disregard for copyrights these days.

Well, unless I was getting a lot of hits back to my site. Then I might send a stern warning 😛

ennuipoet
    Participant

I set up a Google Alert for my Flickr photostream to see where my shots end up, partially out of ego partially out of fear. Since you set your photos to all rights reserved an email to the blog should have them taken down. If that fails contact the hosting provider and start a DMCA complaint. I doubt it will go that far.

NoBigDeal: I’m glad you can laugh at it, because if I’d been “featured” there, I don’t think I would so philosophic. These little snark blogs featuring examples of things some impacted colon doesn’t like are the most degenerate form of narcissism on the web. Even the popped collar frat boys flexing their orange stained biceps are less self involved than some self appointed critic with marginal talent and zero self expression resposting another work to demonstrate their utter lack of creativity.

Yeah, that sort of stuff hits a nerve.

orionid
    Participant

I’d probably ask them to take it down on principle. Mostly because I hate hate hate people’s disregard for copyrights these days.

Well, unless I was getting a lot of hits back to my site. Then I might send a stern warning 😛

This.

Although, I can laugh like NBD, I do share some of Ennuipoet‘s sentiment about the self-appointed critics.

Also, How did you set up the google alert? I’d be interested in doing the same, for the same pair of reasons as well as just curiosity.

SilverStag
    Participant

This.

Although, I can laugh like NBD, I do share some of Ennuipoet‘s sentiment about the self-appointed critics.

Also, How did you set up the google alert? I’d be interested in doing the same, for the same pair of reasons as well as just curiosity.

http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en

It will send an alert to your gmail account

nobigdeal
    Participant

I set up a Google Alert for my Flickr photostream to see where my shots end up, partially out of ego partially out of fear. Since you set your photos to all rights reserved an email to the blog should have them taken down. If that fails contact the hosting provider and start a DMCA complaint. I doubt it will go that far.

NoBigDeal: I’m glad you can laugh at it, because if I’d been “featured” there, I don’t think I would so philosophic. These little snark blogs featuring examples of things some impacted colon doesn’t like are the most degenerate form of narcissism on the web. Even the popped collar frat boys flexing their orange stained biceps are less self involved than some self appointed critic with marginal talent and zero self expression resposting another work to demonstrate their utter lack of creativity.

Yeah, that sort of stuff hits a nerve.

Yea I don’t really give a shit about critics, and whether or not you take some piddly little blogger seriously or not, by definition he’s still a critic. That is why I didn’t swap it out to a pic of Goatse or something. If it was being used commercially that would be a different story.

olavf
    Participant

For your own site, go to google.com/webmasters and set up an account there. You’ll theoretically get linkbacks, search queries, the ability to upload a sitemap to google, and also edit your robots.txt file to keep google from crawling areas you don’t want them to.

Curious
    Participant

these google alerts things all mean looking at your gmail. i haven’t looked at my gmail in months. set it up because i need a gmail account to register for a website years ago. website turned out to be crappy and i have yahoo for a throw away email. the new fark comments notification thing is interesting on occasion.

chupathingie
    Participant

You can also use http://www.tineye.com to crawl for your images, there’s even a firefox plugin that adds it to rght-click context.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Wonderful?’ is closed to new replies.