Working at high ISO

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat The Gallery Working at high ISO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

I visited the USAF museum in Dayton, OH last week.

It’s pretty dark inside, as I don’t think there’s room in the budget to really light up those huge spaces.

So I shot all day at ISO 1600. Which, On a D80, is pretty bad.

Photoshop Camera raw, Noise Ninja, and the Despeckle filter did amazing things, though. Still pretty grainy at full size, but usable at web sizes.

There an airplane out there somewhere.

ravnostic
    Participant

No tripods, eh? That stinks. They looked good, though. That wind tunnel thing was really cool–was that made of wood?

SilverStag
    Participant

Yeah, I love how they took time and put the effort and craftsmanship into making it look not only functional, but beautiful as well.

I didn’t ask about tripods, I assumed they’d not be allowed due to potential liability issues.

ravnostic
    Participant

Fine craftsmanship is a lost art. Too bad. It’s beautiful.

SilverStag
    Participant

…..and, I looked at their website. (I didn’t beforehand because I visited on a spur-of-the-moment wild hair).

They *suggest* using a tripod. D’oh! I had one with me, and left it in the truck. Grar.

orionid
    Participant

…..and, I looked at their website. (I didn’t beforehand because I visited on a spur-of-the-moment wild hair).

They *suggest* using a tripod. D’oh! I had one with me, and left it in the truck. Grar.

Facepalm….. I dig the shots, though.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I shoot almost always at ISO1600 on the D7000. For most web sizes it is very good. If I were shooting something that was for print or larger uses I would probably go lower but really ISO 1000 is as good as my 50d was at ISO400.
    Those shots don’t look too bad at all, maybe slightly over noise reduced but nothing to be ashamed of.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I’m in the process of going through my vacation photos (4000 of ’em) and the ones I shot at high ISO (indoors, generally in old Catholic churches) don’t have a great deal of difference in clarity from the 200 ISO ones. I haven’t looked at them in “full size” yet, but at full-screen in Windows Photo Gallery they turned out OK when they turned out.

Doesn’t mean I’m going to go around at 2000 or 3200 ISO, though… that’s just for appropriate situations.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Working at high ISO’ is closed to new replies.