New to these here parts

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill New to these here parts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Posting to introduce myself.

Not really amish, but that shouldn’t surprise anyone, as I’m on the intertubes and using a digital camera.

I’ve had an SLR of some sort for about 11 years, but haven’t been taking pictures much in the past 5 years or so. The girlfriend got me a 1-day photography class in January and it has kind of become my drug of choice at the moment. I’m shooting with a 6 year old Nikon D40x. Since January then I’ve bought a prime lens, and a Manfrotto tripod, and got another zoom lens as a birthday gift; I’ve also installed Lightroom and Photoshop.

orionid
    Participant

Welcome to the addiction. I’ve been sober, ummmm, eight hours now.

Barracuda
    Participant

Welcome, prime lenses rock, but can eat a hole in your wallet real quick.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Welcome! Looking forwards to seeing your work, in spite of the fact that you shoot Nikon.

/I keed, some of my friends have the same problem.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Welcome aboard! Enjoying seeing some fresh mea…er…new faces on the threads!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

If you’re going to be addicted to something, photography is a good choice. I think heroin might be cheaper, though. 😉 Anyway, welcome! What sorts of photos do you find interest you the most? I’m more of a landscape/still life kinda guy myself and not much into portraiture.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Welcome to the addiction. I’ve been sober, ummmm, eight hours now.

Been about 25 minutes for me. Stopped to get some sunrise and silhouette pics on my way to work.

And Wilkommen to our Amish friend

😈

nobigdeal
    Participant

Welcome!! Have a cookie!

chupathingie
    Participant

Pull up a stool. You did bring beer, didn’t you?

lokisbong
    Participant

Hello and welcome! In case no one has said it yet if ya have any questions at all ask away! Most of the rest of these geniuses should be able to help. I would also be interested in finding out what you like to shoot the most. I tend to prefer outdoorsy stuff like landscapes and wildlife and old abandoned vehicles and buildings. And car shows when I can get to them!

ravnostic
    Participant

Welcome! Pay no attention to the one’s behind the bushes; they’re photographing bugs. They’ll move when they find one under better lighting.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

If you’re going to be addicted to something, photography is a good choice. I think heroin might be cheaper, though. 😉 Anyway, welcome! What sorts of photos do you find interest you the most? I’m more of a landscape/still life kinda guy myself and not much into portraiture.

Hello and welcome! In case no one has said it yet if ya have any questions at all ask away! Most of the rest of these geniuses should be able to help. I would also be interested in finding out what you like to shoot the most. I tend to prefer outdoorsy stuff like landscapes and wildlife and old abandoned vehicles and buildings. And car shows when I can get to them!

Right now I’m digging landscape/nature shots, but I also like taking pictures of my rifles. The only portraiture I do at the moment is taking pictures of the dog. I’m trying to get some cool pictures of my jeep, but haven’t really been anywhere terribly cool with it since I started taking pictures again.

The biggest thing for me at the moment is just taking pictures, and finding the time to do so. I’m usually either at work until late and once I get home, by the time cooking, cleaning, etc is done nighttime has fallen. So I’ve been forcing myself to stop at places on my drive home to take pictures where I can pull over safely and pull out the tripod and camera.

Pull up a stool. You did bring beer, didn’t you?

I always bring beer 😀 I’ve got about 44 bottles of heffeweizen I brewed last year left in the kitchen along with all sorts of odds and ends.

Welcome! Pay no attention to the one’s behind the bushes; they’re photographing bugs. They’ll move when they find one under better lighting.

So I should stop flashing them? Also, should I stop using my flash to take their picture?

Below is a picture I took about a week ago that I really like:

ravnostic
    Participant

Lightroom and Photoshop are apparently your friends. You’ve processed this very nicely.

Thanks. I really wouldn’t have believed what a difference shooting in RAW and post-processing makes until I got Lightroom. Shooting a lot of landscapes when the sun has started to go down makes it very difficult for me to get a perfect exposure for both the sky and the earth. I haven’t messed around too much in Photoshop, just making some HDR shots. The picture above is all done in Lightroom.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Thanks. I really wouldn’t have believed what a difference shooting in RAW and post-processing makes until I got Lightroom. Shooting a lot of landscapes when the sun has started to go down makes it very difficult for me to get a perfect exposure for both the sky and the earth. I haven’t messed around too much in Photoshop, just making some HDR shots. The picture above is all done in Lightroom.

Can’t agree more,.. always, ALWAYS shoot RAW.

Nice landscape example too.

I think all of us here have a similar conflict with real life, it tends to get in the way of making photographs. Hang tough, keep tripping that shutter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘New to these here parts’ is closed to new replies.