New to these here parts

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat Farktography Pub and Grill New to these here parts

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Yugoboy
    Participant

As as Jeep driver myself, the biggest challenge to shooting one is getting someplace cool. But then, once you get there you need to know what to expect and how to make the shot look good. Therefore, forget about cool environment and just work on cool angles and just practice practice practice.
    I’m only getting somewhat better, but I’ve been practicing my ass off. I majored in photography in high school, so I returned to the hobby with a bunch of pre-set skills and ideas, but digital is so much better than film when it comes to practicing, I am kind of looking forward to finishing off my old film at some point.
    Take your camera everywhere with you. Shoot the same thing over and over again under different lighting and weather conditions. Shoot people whether you want to or not. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable pulling out your camera in unusual situations. But shoot shoot shoot.
    I don’t think I’ll ever be able to show off more than 2-3% of what I’ve captured, but that 2-3% is worth showing off (imho, others may disagree).

Your shot above is lovely, and definitely illustrates that you are not a noob.

ravnostic
    Participant

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable pulling out your camera in unusual situations.
    I don’t think I’ll ever be able to show off more than 2-3% of what I’ve captured, but that 2-3% is worth showing off (imho, others may disagree).

This, only for me it’s more like 1%. But that one % I’m REALLY proud of. And it’s worth the other 99% to get it.

chupathingie
    Participant

^what they said.

My problem with the jeep is keeping it out of shots. It gets me to so many places devoid of civilization that I hate to have anything in the shot that’s not landscape. What kind of jeep ya got? 2005 wrangler here, straight 6. Needs lockers and a winch. Done any roadtrips in it? No idea where in the world you are, but there has to be some dirt roads leading off somewhere near by. I go up and down each side of the Rockies each year and try to see some new stuff each year. 3000 miles allows for a lot of scenery change. Don’t hit up new trails solo, because when you get stuck or break something you’re just gonna be 10 miles farther from anybody that can help. Find some trails, though… only way to get better scenery to see and shoot is on feet or through the air.

Heh… can you tell I like getting the jeep off the pavement?

I have a 2013 Unlimited Rubicon right now. Before that I had a 2007 JK and before that a 1997 TJ. Around here in Maryland we don’t have very cool Jeep trails, so I have to make do with anything I can find. Below are two Jeep shots. One is completely un-processed, the other I did in Lightroom.

chupathingie
    Participant

Well, you’re not far from the Appalachians and you’ve got lockers. If you weren’t 1500 miles away I’d invite you on a roadtrip! LOL

http://www.trailsource.com/ohv/index.asp aughtta get you moving with some scenery…

Yugoboy
    Participant

’04 Wrangler.

4WD 6cyl Standard. No modifications.

Awesome for winter commuting and dirt roads. Haven’t had too much opportunity to go real off-roading, but when the sun is out, the temps are up and the top is down, it’s the best damn car out there to drive. I had a convertible LeBaron before this one, and there is NO competition. This thing is 100x more fun.

Not only will I never own another vehicle until I am too broken and decayed to climb in it, but I don’t plan on buying one of the new styles… too wide, and the engine’s all covered in plastic underneath… hard to do any of your own maintenance. When/if this one goes the way of the buffalo, I’ll be buying another out-of-date fun-mobile.

Yoyo
    Participant

Thanks. I really wouldn’t have believed what a difference shooting in RAW and post-processing makes until I got Lightroom. Shooting a lot of landscapes when the sun has started to go down makes it very difficult for me to get a perfect exposure for both the sky and the earth.

Post processing is a crutch. It’s easy to get well exposed land and sky at sunset. You just need a graduated neutral density filter. 😀

bender16v
    Participant

Welcome! As Yoyo said you can use a GND filter or you can try the magic cloth technique. I’ve only tried it a couple of times but it seemed to work pretty well, plus it is free.

The magic cloth technique seems worth a try, but it seems like it’ll take a lot of practice to get it right.

Lately I don’t catch the sunset on the way home, especially since the time change. It will get harder as the day gets longer.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘New to these here parts’ is closed to new replies.