01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Just a quick question of clarification: I’m assuming lightning is not legal for this contest, right? I’ve got plenty of options otherwise, but I wanted to be sure before I made my final decision.

SilverStag
    Participant

Just a quick question of clarification: I’m assuming lightning is not legal for this contest, right? I’ve got plenty of options otherwise, but I wanted to be sure before I made my final decision.

Why wouldn’t it be?

orionid
    Participant

It’s a large electrical arc, and it comes in flashes. Double.

Uranus
    Participant

just for clarity : can it also be a flame or burning thingy travelling in an arc and releasing a little flare of flame, or does it have to be a classic spark?

ravnostic
    Participant

Lightning is a natural for this, Plasma. Flame arcs are fine, too, Uranus

Uranus
    Participant

cool, thanks.
    I kinda went off topic on this one to break away from the overload of obvious, and reckon the pic will tank in the voting, but I like it…. 😛

ravnostic
    Participant

cool, thanks.
    I kinda went off topic on this one to break away from the overload of obvious, and reckon the pic will tank in the voting, but I like it…. 😛

Just remember you’ll probably be facing caradoc’s amazing lightning pictures, and he’s pretty stiff competition in that arena. 😛

(I have a couple obvious ones, too, but I’m hoping sheer intensity counts for something.)

caradoc
    Participant

Just remember you’ll probably be facing caradoc’s amazing lightning pictures, and he’s pretty stiff competition in that arena.

😉

clouddancer
    Participant

How wide can the picture be? Is there a limit to it? I cropped one of mine and as it sits in Photoshop right now (resizing before uploading), it’s 383 high by 928 wide. Will that be too wide? Should I crop it so it’s less wide (I can do that, I just liked it better this way).

Thanks.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yep, width is limited to 640 and height to 1100 (I think – I’m positive about the width). I don’t think you’ll find anyone here that’s particularly pleased with that limit, but it is what it is.

clouddancer
    Participant

Well that’s a bummer. I guess I’ll go with my third version then. Thanks.

Kestrana
    Participant

You don’t have to crop it differently, you can just resize the entire image so that the width is 640 pixels wide.

Curious
    Participant

You don’t have to crop it differently, you can just resize the entire image so that the width is 640 pixels wide.

and use the “click for bigger” thingy. i don’t use that but let mine stand or fall at 640 wide. more often than not it’s fall though.

nothing in the archives for tonight and no imagination preceding that for a new shot. would rather sit this one out than have another 2 or 3 votes per entry night.

clouddancer
    Participant

Kes, I had considered that, but the height at that point would be kind of pointless, it’d look way too small and wouldn’t convey what I wanted to with it. I essentially cropped the same pictures 3 times, though the first one I might just leave out of consideration because it’s the same as the third really, but the third is better. I haven’t uploaded them to Photobucket yet anyway so it’s not a huge deal.

orionid
    Participant

Kes, I had considered that, but the height at that point would be kind of pointless, it’d look way too small and wouldn’t convey what I wanted to with it. I essentially cropped the same pictures 3 times, though the first one I might just leave out of consideration because it’s the same as the third really, but the third is better. I haven’t uploaded them to Photobucket yet anyway so it’s not a huge deal.

Step 1) Rotate image 90 degrees
    Step 2) Caption thusly: “Photo viewed best with monitor laying on side”
    Step 3) …?
    Step 4) Collect votes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
  • The topic ‘01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things’ is closed to new replies.