01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    orionid
    Participant

Mopsy,
    On your “manmade lightning” shot, do you happen to know what was generating the spark?

zincprincess
    Participant

Just an observation – it looks like the sparks and arcs are doing better in the voting than the other flashy things. I’m a little disappointed that my pic isn’t doing better, but I’m glad I didn’t post any more pics of flashy things to wreck my average which has been slowly and steadily creeping upward. Voters. I’ll probably never figure them out.

ravnostic
    Participant

Me neither, zincprincess. I thought my lighter flint shot was a sure bet–it’s as sparky as they get. It’s done well, but TBH (and no disrespect), I’m surprised at some of the pictures way ahead of it in votes.

//insert Uranus’s tag line here.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I like heebe_stevo’s sparkler circle photo. It has a feel to it.

Agreed. I just commented in the thread, too, since he probably doesn’t read over here.

I didn’t compete this week, so I don’t have a horse in this race. From a neutral standpoint, I can say that that is my favourite picture this week.
    There were a lot of spectacular pictures, a lot of cool pictures, a few “how did he/she do that?” pictures, but that picture of heebe_stevo’s just has something else about it that makes it stand out. The guy’s expression is part of it, but the intimacy brought about the with the wide angle close up also draws me into the picture.

zincprincess
    Participant

I really liked heebe_stevo‘s picture as well. It has a casual snapshot feel but it’s well composed and the expression on the guy’s face is priceless. The picture really captures to fun evening on the town vibe.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Congrats to Ranger Joe/Cameraflage this week!

U-Man
    Participant

considering the poor condition of the power cord, I’m surprised I didnt generate any sparks simply by plugging it in.

Mr. Mopsy has a few shop things like that. It can be unnerving plugging them in.

U-Man
    Participant

Mopsy,
    On your “manmade lightning” shot, do you happen to know what was generating the spark?

She may have specifics, but I know that my uncle was an EE. He is super, SUPER organized and has an entire barn full of old things. They’re all boxed and labeled. I’m sure he set something up for her and the only “price” she had to pay was an impromptu lecture. 🙂

mopsy
    Participant

orionid, U-Man is right. It was set up by my electrical wizard brother-in-law who is now in Florida for 6 months. I think they were tall terminals with wires and copper tubing coming off of it. You would love going through his barn. He could tell you more things that you can do electrically that you have not even thought of. He also has a collection of WWII military radio communication “stuff.” I’ll e-mail him and ask for an explanation and get back to you.

mopsy
    Participant

orionid, U-Man is right. It was set up by my electrical wizard brother-in-law who is now in Florida for 6 months. I think they were tall terminals with wires and copper tubing coming off of it. You would love going through his barn. He could tell you more things that you can do electrically that you have not even thought of. He also has a collection of WWII military radio communication “stuff.” I’ll e-mail him and ask for an explanation and get back to you.

mopsy
    Participant

Oops, how did that happen?

orionid
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks!

Kestrana
    Participant

Gremlins

U-Man
    Participant

How did what happen?

U-Man
    Participant

How did what happen?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
  • The topic ‘01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things’ is closed to new replies.