01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Things that flare or flash; sparklers, flints, to be sure, but also diamonds, camera flashes, strobes, sunlight glinted off water, etc.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, ravnostic!

olavf
    Participant

Where’s Grinder Girl when I need her?

Curious
    Participant

Where’s Grinder Girl when I need her?

wouldn’t that be a screen shot?

olavf
    Participant

I don’t think you’d want to use an angle grinder on a screen. A steel plate would be much better.

cameraflage
    Participant

*sigh*

It figures that a contest involving flashing would show up right after the judge tells me to get rid of my trenchcoat.

orionid
    Participant

*sigh*

It figures that a contest involving flashing would show up right after the judge tells me to get rid of my trenchcoat.

I scrunched an eyebrow in thought. Then I lol’d.

staplermofo
    Participant

orionid, how do I build one of these in 2 days with a budget of 85? and a Snickers?

*hums theme music to help the creative process*

orionid
    Participant

orionid, how do I build one of these in 2 days with a budget of 85? and a Snickers?

*hums theme music to help the creative process*

Find a friend who has one, give him the Snickers. While he’s enjoying it, jam the 85 cents up his nose and run off with the coil.

lokisbong
    Participant

Lol. Now that made me snicker…geddit?

clouddancer
    Participant

So I have a question for the ones who understand the more technical side of cameras in terms of exposure, sensors, etc.

For Christmas, our friend received an MRE of beef stew but didn’t use the heating thing that comes with it (magnesium, sodium, and something else). I thought it would be pretty to take a picture of, but as those tend to burn quickly and rather brightly, Husband is worried about damage to the sensor. He also mentioned something like that concerning lasers. Is such a thing possible, to damage the sensor on my camera by taking a picture of the sparky, arc-y thing? I thought it’d be pretty and am hoping to avoid archive diving for this one, but I have gotten some neat shots with my P&S, particularly around July 4th, which is when I’m thinking of taking them from. I also have an idea for using the Swedish Firesteel we have (if it’s still any good, it got left outside for a while so it may not be). But I thought the MRE heating element would be cool, but now I’m concerned and don’t want to ruin my (still relatively), new, spiffy camera. Thoughts?

ravnostic
    Participant

See my response to you on facebook, cloud.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twrTuMt7ew) is a video of an MRE heater burning in a campfire. I wouldn’t think that that level of light would damage the sensor any more than a particularly intense sunset.

Burn, baby, burn!

ravnostic
    Participant

<oo>

So…either the theme description is so clear that there’s nothing to ask questions about, or I’ve been boycotted.

(The last time I was boycotted, I was a boy scout wannabe on a camping trip.)

Hope it’s a good sign that there isn’t much discussion here.

For at least one entry, I’ve brought my game, enough to challenge even Orionid.

//of course, saying so dooms me to failure.

But no matter. I’m no longer interested in winning, as per se, as I am keeping up my averages. And that, I think I can do.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s shots!

//edit to fix the ascii eyes. If it fails, such is life.

orionid
    Participant

For at least one entry, I’ve brought my game, enough to challenge even Orionid.

Boobies?

ravnostic
    Participant

Boobies?

Um…presuming that last week’s entry was Kestrana, and ya’ll are getting married, I don’t think boobies are your challenge. And if they weren’t K’s, and yet you live, then more of the same. See my PM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
  • The topic ‘01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things’ is closed to new replies.