01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm found the image on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trentchau/3351990125/in/set-72157625605396400/

It’s beautiful, stunning and definitely shopped, I can tell by some of the pixels and from seeing a few in my time… 🙂

lulz 😆

And take heart, clouddancer: Fark voters are schizophrenic, and there are lots of weeks where awesome images don’t get awesome votes. My shot of the tiny guys on the roof is tanking, and I thought it was pretty cool to see how big those fireworks were compared to. Apparently it’s much cooler in my head 😆

U-Man
    Participant

Plamadude and orionid, thanks for the comments. I feel (a little) guilty for using that one. I mean, it falls within the rules but… I coulda, shoulda used a different one. At least I had the decency to avoid the ‘MoonsparklesTM.

This week was a Tuesday night archive dive. Which reminds me, next Christmas holiday season, we should pick some broad archive dive friendly themes. I think the ‘Dreams’ theme fell short of its potential due to crazy schedules.

My $0.02.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I agree.

U-Man
    Participant

CauseISaidSo – those are farking HUGE fireworks (and beautiful pics of them). Want.

Ranger – I can’t figure out those fireworks either. Were they going up. Or is the white ball at the top of each the ‘boom’ and then colors fell? Naaa, why would they shoot down and not out?

I like heebe_stevo’s sparkler circle photo. It has a feel to it.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks, U-Man! It’s supposedly the largest show in the state. They gather donations from property & business owners along the creek there and then blow it all up every year. I think the budget is generally in the $110K range. My inlaws have a condo there so I just setup on shore and click click click. The hardest part is rationing my Makers & coke so it lasts through the show. 🙂

After the fireworks comes the secondary show – all those boats have to turn around and head back out into the main part of the lake. It’s a line of traffic that lasts for literally 2-3 hours.

Oh, and if you’re interested, I’ve got one more shot from there online that I used for All Night Long. That’s actually my favorite of all. If silverstag‘s Blue & Gold theme goes live, I’m going to kick myself for already using it.

orionid
    Participant

Plamadude and orionid, thanks for the comments. I feel (a little) guilty for using that one. I mean, it falls within the rules but… I coulda, shoulda used a different one. At least I had the decency to avoid the ‘MoonsparklesTM.

This week was a Tuesday night archive dive. Which reminds me, next Christmas holiday season, we should pick some broad archive dive friendly themes. I think the ‘Dreams’ theme fell short of its potential due to crazy schedules.

Dude, don’t feel bad, it’s a totally awesome shot and well within the rules/theme.

And I think I also agree about holiday dive-friendlies. Except the seasons greetings, because that just promotes the spirit.

justkat
    Participant

You should have posted a warning – may cause acid flashbacks 😯
    I’m guessing steel mixing bowl filled with water for the reflection?

Actually it was an iridescent christmas ornament. 😉

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

orionid, can you describe the setup for your Attitudes shot? How’d you trigger at just the right time?

orionid
    Participant

I taped the row of matches to a jewelry box, then set the camera as follows:

10 second delay
    ISO 200
    1 second exposure, f/whatever (I don’t remember, don’t feel like checking the exif)
    hotshoe flash synched to shutter open, in softbox, set to 1/16 power

Composed image, turned off all the lights in the house, pressed button, put my hand with lighter in just the right spot during the 10-second delay.
    when the shutter opened, the flash fired, exposing the matches, lighter, and my hand. While the shutter was still open, I flicked the flintwheel, exposing the sparks. You can actually see a little bit of ghosting where the sparks also exposed my thumb in the “down” position. Then the shutter closed.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

OK, after viewing original size I can see that the sparks are a separate event from the rest of the lighting, but you can’t really tell that at smaller sizes. Good job getting those two exposures closely aligned.

cameraflage
    Participant

Ranger – I can’t figure out those fireworks either. Were they going up. Or is the white ball at the top of each the ‘boom’ and then colors fell? Naaa, why would they shoot down and not out?

This was shot towards the end of the show and I was playing around with moving the camera during the exposure. The original image is horizontal, so I apparently was moving the camera from side to side (I honestly dont remember what I did – each burst was different.)

I’m really surprised it’s doing so well…it was a last minute replacement for a night shot of a 37mm anti-tank gun firing. Theres a nice flash, but there are heads in the way that I couldnt crop out, so unless you’re into anti-tank armaments, it’s not all that great of a photo.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/jeep/_D2C881937mm.jpg

My grinding wheel sparks shot was meant to be my primary shot. I froze my ass off shooting that decrepit old grinder out in the garage – considering the poor condition of the power cord, I’m surprised I didnt generate any sparks simply by plugging it in.

ravnostic
    Participant

It seems it’s always the afterthought entries that do well, doesn’t it?

caradoc
    Participant

FSM doesn’t seem to be picking up the OBO entries. I’ll ping Schnee.

Kestrana
    Participant

It doesn’t do it automatically, someone has to move over the votes once voting closes.

orionid
    Participant

I like heebe_stevo’s sparkler circle photo. It has a feel to it.

Agreed. I just commented in the thread, too, since he probably doesn’t read over here.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 124 total)
  • The topic ‘01-05-11 – Sparks, Arcs, and Other Flashy Things’ is closed to new replies.