01-30-08 – One for the Road

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-30-08 – One for the Road

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Roads, highways, streets, alleys, etc. Note: The only acceptable instances of people in your photos would be if they’re small/incidental/unidentifiable. The focus here should be on the roads. (Thanks to corsec67 for suggesting this theme!)

jpatten
    Participant

This one I like.
    With all the Highways and roads around here I know I can find something…. Hmmmm

I know this is sort of giving away ideas, but Would the underside of an overpass be acceptable? Or would do we need to show actual roadbed…
    I think so from the title, but I can think of a few cool shots that would be from that angle.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think the underside of an overpass would be well within the theme.

jpatten
    Participant

very cool. Thanks.
    I am so ready for my new camera to come in

U-Man
    Participant

I spent 45 minutes last night out on the country roads in -15 degree weather because the moon was really big and low and cool. One pic might be worth submitting. That’s photography I guess.

Still learning. And that’s good.

jpatten
    Participant

yeah… i need to get on the ball on this one. i have a few.. but need more

XenPix
    Participant

Are the people too consequential in this one?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

IMO, yes, though it’s a lovely photo.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I am having a hard time with the theme this week too. The people in my photos could be considered more than incidental.

/I actually take road photos every day for work, but absolutely none are in any way artistic, or even for the most part, interesting.

corsec67
    Participant

Yeah, the people in those pictures is just too noticeable.
    I guess my idea was something that people would drive on, or used to drive on. (Old, overgrown roads definitely included there)
    My idea for this theme was a literal interpretation of “street photography”, and then to further differentiate this theme from that category of photography, I added the “no people” restriction.
    Elsinore said that a strict “no people” might be too restrictive, so people that aren’t very noticeable in cars are ok.

Something a bit more like this:
    flickr page

Morningbreath
    Participant

actual that is a service road for a light house, not a sand path. tire tracks are visible in the photo.

corsec67
    Participant

actual that is a service road for a light house, not a sand path. tire tracks are visible in the photo.

Whoops, sorry. You are correct, that would very much qualify as a “road” for this theme.

Morningbreath
    Participant

road (rōd)
    n.
    (Abbr. Rd.) An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
    The surface of a road; a roadbed.

I went with the classic definition of road, I am not going to use anything that does not or did not handle vehicle traffic.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I just didn’t want someone to catch sight of a silhouette of a person in a car and start getting upset about what might actually qualify as a person but is otherwise incidental and not crucial to the overall composition.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll get anything for tomorrow. Tried shooting something today, but it’s raining. Had one other idea, but I don’t know if the weather is going to cooperate, so we’ll see.

soosh
    Participant

Wet highways are some of the most photogenic. There are some movies where the directors have the streets wet for the entire movie even though there’s no rain at any point.

Hope you get some shots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘01-30-08 – One for the Road’ is closed to new replies.