01-30-08 – One for the Road

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 01-30-08 – One for the Road

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Morningbreath
    Participant

I just didn’t want someone to catch sight of a silhouette of a person in a car and start getting upset about what might actually qualify as a person but is otherwise incidental and not crucial to the overall composition.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I’ll get anything for tomorrow. Tried shooting something today, but it’s raining. Had one other idea, but I don’t know if the weather is going to cooperate, so we’ll see.

it started raining on me today, too. I don’t know if I will get my photos done now either. I like the wet road look, I just don’t like the rain on my camera look.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, even with an umbrella I was getting rain on my camera and lens, so it wasn’t working out so well.

Snug Tight
    Participant

We took a road trip to a friends cabin on the Illinois river last Sat. It was one of the few sunny days we’ve had lately. I got a few shots I can use. Saw a lot of deer, turkeys, and eagles.

sleeping
    Participant

These are cheap and handy for rain, etc: http://www.adorama.com/OTRSL.html

Morningbreath
    Participant

aside from getting the lens wet, I don’t like the way rain or snow robs the photos of any clarity. I took this shot of runing deer in a snow storm, it looks like I shot it through a screen door.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

sleeping: Good call. I should get some of those. I actually found a dry patch between storm lines, so we’ll see if they turned out or not. I had time to take them and get them downloaded while I bathed the kids before it was time to head to the basement.

Morningbreath: Good points there, though still pretty nifty that you caught those deer.

sleeping
    Participant

I don’t like the way rain or snow robs the photos of any clarity.

Personally, I don’t find that’s necessarily a bad thing if you can work with it instead of against it.

Morningbreath
    Participant

good point Sleeping

staplermofo
    Participant

I can gripe too!
    I tried to get a shot of some streets downtown when it was snowing. I got attacked twice by rampaging salt trucks, on the same street! They threw rocks at me! Rocks made of salt!

I just got a fancy new tripod, with nice thick metal legs. It’s fancy and black and has a massive ball head that supports just under 40lbs. I was really excited about the upgrade in my image. I was all set to look cool. But, I didn’t bring gloves, so I used a paper napkin touch it. The napkin stuck. I pulled half of it off. I used another napkin, that stuck as well. At no point did it occur to me to wait a second or two between taking the napkin out of the warm, bag (full of steaming hot breakfast sandwiches and condensation) and sticking it on the freezing cold bare metal.
    Not only did all the people on their way to work see me standing out there, like a jackass, with Caffe Baci napkins stuck to my tripod, fidgeting like crack head to keep warm, with my camera pointed at nothing, NOT ONLY THAT, but a real photographer (with gloves!) politely asked me to get out of the way of his shot after scowling at me for a good 5 minutes. I’m sure part of that time was spent looking for toilet paper on my shoes.
    And, on top of all of that, none of my shots turned out.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think you win the “In the Snow, Uphill Both Ways” award, ‘mofo

staplermofo
    Participant

I think you win the “In the Snow, Uphill Both Ways” award, ‘mofo

soosh is the one going uphill both ways in snow.
    I’m more “falling down the already shoveled stairs, 10 feet from a warm car ready to drive me”.

boringolddoug
    Participant

Mofo, you make me laugh. I was griping about NO snow because we were supposed to get a blizzard Monday night and yesterday and I was really hoping for some cool road shots with deep drifts and wheel ruts and stuff. But it fizzled. Cold as … and windy as … , but not much snow and nothing worth shooting.

But at least I was not tangled in napkins.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

road (rōd)
    n.
    (Abbr. Rd.) An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
    The surface of a road; a roadbed.

I went with the classic definition of road, I am not going to use anything that does not or did not handle vehicle traffic.

Thanks for the definition, Morningbreath. I think we might run into problems disqualifying footpaths that would be more for people but otherwise fit the definition of road. I can just see the gnashing of teeth if a small dirt road got disqualified merely because it might not handle vehicle traffic.

corsec67
    Participant

road (rōd)
    n.
    (Abbr. Rd.) An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
    The surface of a road; a roadbed.

I went with the classic definition of road, I am not going to use anything that does not or did not handle vehicle traffic.

Thanks for the definition, Morningbreath. I think we might run into problems disqualifying footpaths that would be more for people but otherwise fit the definition of road. I can just see the gnashing of teeth if a small dirt road got disqualified merely because it might not handle vehicle traffic.

Maybe lets go with that definition of “road”? The description didn’t actually specify that it should be something made for vehicular traffic. I was more interested in “street photography, literally”, where the subject was the road and not people on the street.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Aye y’aye 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘01-30-08 – One for the Road’ is closed to new replies.