02-11-09 – Religion and Spirituality II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-11-09 – Religion and Spirituality II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph temples, churches, mosques, icons, statues, etc. Difficulty: No sports teams.

Theme suggestion credit goes to Killerclaw–thanks!

corsec67
    Participant

I am going to try to go to the USAF Academy Chapel in Colorado Springs to get something for this contest.

jpatten
    Participant

I bet there will be some great shots from that.. Its a very unique building

corsec67
    Participant

Yeah, I think all 3 of my entries will be of the Cadet Chapel. That building is incredible, and worth the drive from Denver. Make sure that it is sunny, since there is stained glass in the roof that is definitely going to be one of my entries.

(In IR)

My Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 got a workout there, and that wasn’t quite wide enough. Too bad the best spot to get a picture of that with mountains behind it is in the restricted cadet area.

(Hmm, I have enough pictures of the chapel that I could put this in “Take 3” as well.)

soosh
    Participant

so if you’re agnostic do you just shoot a photo of a gray card?

corsec67
    Participant

so if you’re agnostic do you just shoot a photo of a gray card?

Or a blank piece of paper?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I actually did shoot a blank wall last time around and titled it “This space intentionally left blank”. Decided not to use it, but it’s still on my Flickr.

olavf
    Participant

Hah! well played soosh.

I suspect I’m going to have to try my luck down at the local Catholic cathedral. I was in a church last spring and didn’t burst into flames on the spot so I think I’m safe.

Still debating doing something completely left field though. mayhap a temple to steel, if I can make the images portray what’s in my brain

lokisbong
    Participant

Hah! well played soosh.

I suspect I’m going to have to try my luck down at the local Catholic cathedral. I was in a church last spring and didn’t burst into flames on the spot so I think I’m safe.

Still debating doing something completely left field though. mayhap a temple to steel, if I can make the images portray what’s in my brain

That was my main worry on this one.It’s probably been ten years or more since I stepped in a church. I was hoping some nice nature shots might pass the rules for this contest?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Well, religious symbols can be found on the exterior of Churches, Temples, in gardens, etc. However, the original Religion theme had this description:

Photograph churches, synagogues, mosques and any other places of worship or items and symbols that are important to any religion or your own personal spirituality.

So there is some room for personal interpretation.

FutherMucker
    Participant

This sounds pretty open….Even if you heathens don’t have a God, it seems like it would be OK to worship/photograph a body part of a loved one, yes ??

Also….Has anyone ever prayed to the porcelain God ?

/Not a stranger to the porcelain one !
    //Partial to the divine one.

orionid
    Participant

No, but I call Ralph on the big white phone from time to time…..

/He never answers
    //bastard

Elsinore
    Keymaster

This sounds pretty open….Even if you heathens don’t have a God, it seems like it would be OK to worship/photograph a body part of a loved one, yes ??

The original Religion and Spirituality contest was Zeke’s first contest, and he did very well with a shot of soMEone praying to the porcelain Goddess.

orionid
    Participant

The original Religion and Spirituality contest was Zeke’s first contest, and he did very well with a shot of soMEone praying to the porcelain Goddess.

So, of course I had to go back and look — classy by the way — but I’m glad I did. This is going to be an archive week for me, and one of the shots I was considering was almost identical to mamoru 2006-09-06 08:47:02 PM shot. Like, same subject, same composition, same framing. I’m pretty sure I was standing in the exact same spot. Weird.

shep.1972
    Participant

Would cemeteries be appropriate, as well?

shep.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘02-11-09 – Religion and Spirituality II’ is closed to new replies.