02-17-10 – Farktography Classic: Reflections 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-17-10 – Farktography Classic: Reflections 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

I would favor the unrestricted version.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s unrestricted. Should I add a clarifying note?

olavf
    Participant

I don’t know if that’s necessary. I’m being my usual paranoid self, at least :/

U-Man
    Participant

Y’know those pics you have seen of the image in a broken mirror? I have a feeling that the ones where both the mirror and the subject are in focus contain a bit of Photoshoppery.

Example – http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/89606-broken_mirror.jpg

Morningbreath
    Participant

Totally fine with me.

For you HDR n00bs, the easiest program I have found is Photomatix. I certainly haven’t done an exhaustive search, but I like it. It can do artoon-y HDR or pretty realistic. Downside –> it costs $100.

Unless they have revised their software, it used to be that you could use the full program, but it left a watermark that can be removed only with purchase. With some careful editing you can get around the photomatix watermark, and use the software for free. the easiest way is to take the photos with the placement of the watermark in mind, and crop it out. Of course, at some point I think they will realize this, so I would download the software now.

/not that I am recommending this course of action.

olavf
    Participant

Y’know those pics you have seen of the image in a broken mirror? I have a feeling that the ones where both the mirror and the subject are in focus contain a bit of Photoshoppery.

Example – http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/89606-broken_mirror.jpg

Yeah, I did some playing around with mirrors yesterday. Stacked images perhaps?

U-Man
    Participant

Stacked images perhaps?

Yeah. That would probably work. It reminds me of my experience with taking pics of the moon. You can’t get the near foreground and moon in focus at the same time.

How much DoF would I gain by cranking the aperture smaller? I might play with that tonight.

/cue the smarty-pants physicist-photographer in 3…2…1…

olavf
    Participant

True enough. When I was doing the lunacy contest, I found I could get close, but the aperture was so small that I couldn’t get enough light on the foreground (so I can’t be sure of how close I was).

It’s hard enough with the mirror- even if you can get the aperture right, you’re going to get distortion through the glass unless you’re shooting straight on. And then your camera’s in the shot…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm haven’t played with my new toy in this capacity yet, but I wonder if a tilt-shift lens would allow you to manipulate your dof enough to get both subject and mirror in focus. Would probably also depend on how far back your subject was from the mirror. I’ve seen those cracked mirror shots done before but never really stopped to consider the dof question. If it’s seriously impossible or highly unlikely to be pulled off without more than one exposure, that would be good to know for the contest in case a random/casual Farker submits something along those lines…

U-Man
    Participant

Yep. Like that one moon shot we discussed.

olavf
    Participant

I think it really depends. This one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dianathemath/3178197030/

for example most likely isn’t a ‘shop. But it’s also outdoors and on a relatively bright day so, small aperture, etc. You’ll also notice that unlike the shot that U-Man posted they’re so straight on that the camera has to be in the shot. In my experience (anyway) as soon as you start coming in at an angle, you start getting diffraction from the glass which makes things tricky. I haven’t been able to fully compensate for it anyway :/

I won’t say it’s impossible, but I would like to know the tech details if someone knows how to do it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

yeah but a tilt-shift lens can shift the lens itself so it can capture a scene without the camera/lens being in the shot, then it can also tilt the lens and manipulate the dof. Maybe I should play with this later and see if it can be done hmmmm…

olavf
    Participant

Good point. Some of us don’t have your fancy-schmancy lenses though lady 😉

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol true, though it took me a year and winning a photo contest to get this one. I will never have enough photography money. Never. *le sigh*

olavf
    Participant

heh. I know. I started talking about medium-format cameras to Kat yesterday, and she started talking about cars :/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘02-17-10 – Farktography Classic: Reflections 2’ is closed to new replies.