02-22-12 – Noir: Embrace Your Dark Side

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 02-22-12 – Noir: Embrace Your Dark Side

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Farktographer
    Participant

I always get so confused by these voters. My shot I had picked as my favourite (Craven) and most likely to get votes is holding a miserable 1 right now. I figured it was a good balance of darkness/fear with the crouching in the corner and the shadow, but meh. Anyone have some potential criticism they could share with me? Because otherwise I have a confused.

ravnostic
    Participant

Farktographer–I’m afraid it’s probably a victim of the 640w pixels. I think cropping in would have helped. One of the things I’m ‘unlearning’ as I branch out into other photographic pursuits and post larger files.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Anyone have some potential criticism they could share with me? Because otherwise I have a confused.

I have only one piece of advice: the more you like something, the less likely it is to receive votes. Thus is the nature of Fark.

Barracuda
    Participant

I think Rav probably hit the nail on the head Farktographer. At 640 it hard to get a grasp on what the image is trying to portray. Neither the shadow or the subject’s body position can really be understood.

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

Anyone have some potential criticism they could share with me? Because otherwise I have a confused.

I have only one piece of advice: the more you like something, the less likely it is to receive votes. Thus is the nature of Fark.

This does appear to be a general truism of Fark. Some of my best placing photos were not my favorites, while my favorites tanked.

I’ve learned to accept it an photograph and submit what I like, if it works out, great, if not, also great.

Barracuda
    Participant

By complete chance I ran across what looks to be a dupe. bastian_74’s entry appears to have been previously used in “Hope” and “Can I Get A Show Of Hands?”. File numbers don’t match, crop is slightly different, but wanted to bring it up.

Farktographer
    Participant

I *have* noticed that taller photos tend to get more votes. Strange psyche, these farkers. Thanks, all.

/eta – for that shot, I actually did try to crop it several times. Nothing felt “right” though for the mood of the shot except as-is. Sacrificed votes for artistic leeway, perhaps? 😛

Elsinore
    Keymaster

By complete chance I ran across what looks to be a dupe. bastian_74’s entry appears to have been previously used in “Hope” and “Can I Get A Show Of Hands?”. File numbers don’t match, crop is slightly different, but wanted to bring it up.

I thought that one looked familiar, but I can’t get a 100% verification that it’s a dupe. The file from this week’s contest has a timestamp of Feb 22, 2012, but no other EXIF data, and the one from “Hope” has no EXIF at all. It’s possible that it’s two consecutive frames. I did stack them in GIMP, it looks like they align pretty closely (though not exactly, owing to a pixel or two crop). If it were just the razor blade, that wouldn’t mean much, but I’d think it would be difficult to get the hand in the exact same place within the bumpy texture of the counter from one frame to the next, and you can line up all those bumps and the reflection with the same reflection. Still, I think I’ll ask in thread before pulling it just in case…

sleeping
    Participant

I *have* noticed that taller photos tend to get more votes. Strange psyche, these farkers.

Actually I think that’s mostly down to simple geometry – a 640x900px image has a lot more impact than a 640×400 one because it’s more than double the area.

Farktographer
    Participant

I *have* noticed that taller photos tend to get more votes. Strange psyche, these farkers.

Actually I think that’s mostly down to simple geometry – a 640x900px image has a lot more impact than a 640×400 one because it’s more than double the area.

I tend to forget that not everyone clicks to see the larger images =P

lokisbong
    Participant

I thought that one looked familiar, but I can’t get a 100% verification that it’s a dupe. The file from this week’s contest has a timestamp of Feb 22, 2012, but no other EXIF data, and the one from “Hope” has no EXIF at all. It’s possible that it’s two consecutive frames. I did stack them in GIMP, it looks like they align pretty closely (though not exactly, owing to a pixel or two crop). If it were just the razor blade, that wouldn’t mean much, but I’d think it would be difficult to get the hand in the exact same place within the bumpy texture of the counter from one frame to the next, and you can line up all those bumps and the reflection with the same reflection. Still, I think I’ll ask in thread before pulling it just in case…

Yeah I would bet my point n shoot they are the same picture with different editing to make them slightly different. the hand is in as near as I can tell exactly the same position.

ennuipoet
    Participant

If I am shooting or picking for Farktography, I do portrait orientation if I possibly can. The pxl limitations really hamper the viewer and few people click through.

That’s just Fark.

Farktographer
    Participant

Yeah I would bet my point n shoot they are the same picture with different editing to make them slightly different. the hand is in as near as I can tell exactly the same position.

Same setup, same hand positioning, same lighting for 3 photos out of only a handful of contests? Okay, I’m voting this one’s a Scarlet R. Seems way too unlikely. Shame – I really liked it for this theme, but didn’t even realize it’s been used (twice!) before.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Oh wow, I missed it was used in a third theme. Definitely has to be a dupe.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Heads’ up Flickr users–Flickr is having a software hiccup according to their FB and blog posting. Not sure if this means pics in the thread will drop or not, but I’ll keep an eye out for things.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 141 total)
  • The topic ‘02-22-12 – Noir: Embrace Your Dark Side’ is closed to new replies.