03-10-10 – I’m a Geek, and I’m Proud of It

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-10-10 – I’m a Geek, and I’m Proud of It

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    LeicaLens
    Participant

I didn’t have time to take pictures of my geek stuff (work was busy), so nothing from me this week.
    I suddenly realised I could take a picture of my manga collection, which is fairly large, but I haven’t unpacked it since moving. A year ago….

cameraflage
    Participant

I hate to call out one shot, especially so early, but the “bad heads” photo and story cracked me up.

Thank you!

Some B-sides and rejects for y’uns…

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/_D2C5185geek_livelongandprosper.jpg

I had intended to make some pointy ears as well, but never got around to it (nor have I gotten around to getting a haircut.)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/geek_m4a2_HR.jpg

USMC M-4A2 diesel 75mm Sherman with deep wading snorkels, in case anybody was wondering.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/cameraflage/Internet%20use/geek_headsX.jpg

More heads.

clouddancer
    Participant

I promise to come back tomorrow and vote, comment in the thread. Our internet died out for like 2 hours (I think they spilled beer on the servers or otherwise blew them up) and I’m crazy behind for work now. I did want to post before I forgot though (get in early to maximize voting potential, right?). It’s going to be a late night for work. Better grab some caffeine to help crank out the lines.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Some B-sides and rejects for y’uns…

The dymo labels on the bins are hilarious!

thepostess
    Participant

Elsinore, I have a broken image, can you please find it in the ether? Please and thank you.

Now, off to work.

clouddancer
    Participant

Can hardly believe I know others who crochet now. I thought I was a lonely-only. I’m not fantastic at it, but blankets are relatively easy to do since its the same stitch over and over for a while. There are a couple of websites that I found where I was able to learn something. I’ll probably invest in a book if/when I want to get more into it. It’s great to do while watching a movie, which I seem to do a lot of these days on the weekend.

QueenBee
    Participant

Can hardly believe I know others who crochet now. I thought I was a lonely-only. I’m not fantastic at it, but blankets are relatively easy to do since its the same stitch over and over for a while. There are a couple of websites that I found where I was able to learn something. I’ll probably invest in a book if/when I want to get more into it. It’s great to do while watching a movie, which I seem to do a lot of these days on the weekend.

Like I told Elsinore, look for a book called stitch n’bitch : The Happy Hooker. Really easy to understand and follow how to do the different stitches and they have some great projects in there as well! There are even stitch n’ bitch groups around where people get together to well..stitch and bitch 🙂

lokisbong
    Participant

My third picture seems to have disappeared.Its only 57 kb so I wonder why it did that? thanks in advance.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

thepostess and lokisbong: Got em. Not sure what happened last night/today, but a number of Flickr photos disappeared.

clouddancer and QueenBee: Yay fellow hookers! I’ve made 2.5 scarves now: one for my son http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/4384868960/ (my son picked out that color!) and my first one for me http://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_elsinore/4384868932/ (I crocheted it long ways so the rows would run down the length of it instead of across…need to block it, though,, since it’s curly). Still working on my daughter’s scarf, and now that it’s pretty much spring, she won’t have much use for it till the fall lol. I reconnected with some college friends on FB who have a monthly stitch n bitch and it’s a lot of fun! I have a pretty wool blend that I was going to turn into a hat/scarf combo, but now I’m thinking maybe I’ll do a blanket instead. I tried out a really cool version of crochet that’s in between crochet and knit called Tunisian crochet. You use a very loooooooooong crochet hook and leave all the loops on the hook until you work across the entire row. It looks really cool, though it’s very curly.

SilverStag
    Participant

Yay fellow hookers!

Out of context quotes are so much fun!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

heh heh you know I worded it that way intentionally 😉

justkat
    Participant

you so funny elsinore.

clouddancer
    Participant

Nice job on the scarves! Of course, I’m still an amateur/newbie so that may not mean much. I thought I was the only one with the curly corners, so that makes me feel better. I had Hubby pick out the yarn for Baby #2’s blanket (browns/greens). I’m on skein 4 now, about 1/3 of the way through. I will post a picture when it’s done, and I’ll be sure to take one of Kiddo #1’s blanket that my great aunt Gladys made for him. My sister is due in September with her first, and I thought I’d make one for her since it seems to be something I’m doing lately. I’m waiting for her to get back with me about her colors/theme. My great aunt made a huge granny square, essentially. I’m doing a double crochet for the rows on the blanket. Somewhere I also started one for Hubby and I, and I have some yarn set aside for it (probably not nearly enough) that I haven’t gotten back to. I’m a couple of skeins into it.

I’ve contemplated making hot pads or something as well, but I’m worried that the heat from some things might melt the yarn, or catch it on fire. Anyone had that happen?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If you go with cotton, you should be fine unless you set it down on a burner, and in that case, nothing would be safe 😉 But cotton won’t melt, you can machine wash and dry it (make it a bit bigger than intended so it has room to shrink), it’s absorbent if you spill something onto it, and it’s very sturdy.

sleeping
    Participant

If you go with cotton, you should be fine unless you set it down on a burner, and in that case, nothing would be safe 😉

I don’t know, maybe you could crochet with steel wire or something….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • The topic ‘03-10-10 – I’m a Geek, and I’m Proud of It’ is closed to new replies.