Skip to toolbar

03-10-10 – I’m a Geek, and I’m Proud of It

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-10-10 – I’m a Geek, and I’m Proud of It

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Everyone’s a geek in their own right. Take photographs that display the awesome power of your geekiness.

Thanks to clouddancer for the theme suggestion!

mopsy
    Participant

Do you have to be in the pic or just something that portrays your geekiness?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t think you have to be in the picture. Some of the ones I’m considering definitely don’t have me in them.

Curious
    Participant

since we don’t allow stitching who has a fisheye lens i can borrow?

oh and while you are here delivering it can you help clean up/straighten up my office/computer room.

also does one get extra points for having Ubuntu on one of the monitors.

ennuipoet
    Participant

So I’ve had a couple of really good ideas for this week. One of them was the really great low angle shot of some first edition D&D books, with dice scattered across the table, gloomy shadows in the background, perhaps something like a Gothic college hall…however, I needed two things to make that happen, A Tilt-Shift Lens and a Gothic College. I have neither of those two things, though the college hall would be easier and cheaper. The other idea was shooting an actual game of D&D in which I was ALL the players, but that requires Photoshop. Based on how I looked in them, my self portraits are out.

I guess my question is, if I submitted shots I took at last years New York Renaissance Festival, would that qualify in the theme? While I am not IN the Festive I did, after all, GO to a Ren Fair, which is VERY HIGH on the Geek ladder. 😳

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol I’ve got Ren Faire pics I’m considering as well. I definitely think they have enough geekitude to qualify 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

It’s my own theme and I have a question. Go figure.

What I originally wanted to put in were pictures of a hard drive being taken apart (my ultimate geeky thing to do). Only issue was that taking pictures of me doing it, didn’t come out so well. Plan changed photograph someone doing it, but we have no hard drives left to take apart. :(. I am having my Hubby put together, though, a wind chime of the hard drive platters, which started the whole thing anyway. He had a suggestion for putting it together that I can’t quite follow (dense on directions, here) and what I thought would work has thus far failed. It all came from my idea(s), though inspired by him. That still counts, right? Essentially, the picture will be of the hard drive platter chime. I’m quite certain I’ll have to leave some text with the picture on it anyway as it will be shiny, but based on looking no one’s really going to know why its geeky.

Other than that, the best geeky things I could think of were my music stuff and my scrapbooking, but I’m not even sure the latter qualifies as geeky, but probably more of a hobby type thing. Oh right, and I also have a tribble, gray. Not sure what to do with that though just yet. Come to think of it, we do have one of the Star Trek movies (though not any of the others just yet, even though I want them, so I might somehow use that, too.

I could have spent all weekend on this, but instead I just lazed about in the sun while it was out making a blanket and reading, then when we were inside watching my Netflix movies, and continuing said blanket.

LeicaLens
    Participant

Photography is probably my biggest geek thing…Take a picture of myself taking a picture?
    I suppose I could do something with my researxch area of translation studies, but I am having a hard time figuring out how that would translate into an interesting shot (geddit? Translation studies…translate into….ah, nevermind).
    This topic has really stumped me.

corsec67
    Participant

I just pulled a few books from my bookshelf. In my current apartment there is only 1 shelf of books, so not a large selection to choose from, but I was able to make something very, very geeky. (Featuring a FFXIII Elixir)

And then another entry is geeky in how I use the picture, and what is in the picture.

LeicaLens
    Participant

I just pulled a few books from my bookshelf. In my current apartment there is only 1 shelf of books, so not a large selection to choose from, but I was able to make something very, very geeky. (Featuring a FFXIII Elixir)

And then another entry is geeky in how I use the picture, and what is in the picture.

I fear my entries are going to revolve around books.
    And what is that drink like? I keep seeing it in the convenience stores here, but I haven’t got around to trying any yet.

corsec67
    Participant

I fear my entries are going to revolve around books.
    And what is that drink like? I keep seeing it in the convenience stores here, but I haven’t got around to trying any yet.

Hmm, revolving books?

It was kind of a berry soda. I just got the can, I didn’t go for the ?1000 pack with the figurine.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Ugh! Apparently I am much more badass than geek.

I can’t come up with anything other than cameras.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of ideas…the difficulty is going to be making them interesting :/

Curious
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of ideas…the difficulty is going to be making them interesting :/

that was my problem last time. and most likely this time too. it’s difficult to make a triple boot computer tower actually show much geekyness.

and my various and sundry film cameras, while outside the norm, aren’t all that inherently interesting nor geeky. well except to those who may like old time mid and large format cameras.

orionid
    Participant

Heh. I’m inundated with ideas at this point. Some of which cover both geeky and badass. Let’s hope the voters agree.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.