03-21-12 – Curves 2: Recurves

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 03-21-12 – Curves 2: Recurves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pictures of things that show curves.

This theme brought to you by ravnostic!

Daniel
    Participant

fun

Barracuda
    Participant

I really wanted to get out and do some new shots for this, but appears the weather isn’t going to cooperate unless the rain moves out sooner than expected tomorrow. I have a few ideas I can probably get done, else its to the archives for this one.

Barracuda
    Participant

So the weather held off just long enough for me to run by my target location this afternoon. Have a hand full of possibles now which I now get to select from. Wanted to get some feed back on this one:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZVhrVVwkUME/T2fAXl7PGqI/AAAAAAAAFmw/yXV1iEJ2U5M/s800/IMG_1903-2.jpg

Make sure the color levels seemed within acceptable limits. Pumped up the blue a little while bringing the rest of the channels down some to make the structure pop a bit more, but I don’t think it quite approaches questionable levels myself. I also have a B&W variation on this one as well I’ve been working on.

Then there’s a few variations on this idea: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hUqf3SYTgvY/T2fCXvz2uUI/AAAAAAAAFm4/hp_YVGT4qsQ/s800/IMG_1929-1.jpg

Feedback, before or after the contest, is most welcome. 🙂

ravnostic
    Participant

The tone mapping is very natural and seems perfectly acceptable to me. YMMV

Yugoboy
    Participant

Barracuda – those are both very nice, I especially think the park bench works best in B&W.

Now, I could use some help… I’ve got 2 old car pics. I’m using one, but I could use some advice as to which one.

This one: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6093/6852873876_e8f75c74a0_b.jpg I already have the html set up for Wednesday night, but

this one: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/6998997531_8de9182157_b.jpg is pretty nice, too.

Last time I asked for help, y’all steered me right, so please help me out again…

TIA

Barracuda
    Participant

As a photo for this contest, I like the Buick. The head-on shot of the ’57 doesn’t accent the curves of the body near as well as the Buick’s closer angled view.

Yugoboy
    Participant

As a photo for this contest, I like the Buick. The head-on shot of the ’57 doesn’t accent the curves of the body near as well as the Buick’s closer angled view.

Thanx…

BTW, as for “color level within acceptable limits” in your blue curves thingy, I’d say you’re well within parameters… I haven’t been called on it, so I’m guessing I’m still within the envelope, but I’m sure I get very near it at times with some of the significant tweaks I do to my pics. I do try to keep the rule about changes being consistent across the entirety of the picture in mind when I do any tweaking. The only time I differ from that directive (and that’s only rarely) is with burn and dodge… those are tried and true darkroom techniques even Matthew Brady would recognize, although I only use them rarely, and then very judiciously.

Barracuda
    Participant

Good points, I avoid the graduated filters and such in Lightroom, but figure since the HSL sliders effect the entire image, as long as they are within reasonable limits, ie: not completely color popped, I should be safe. I think I reduced the main saturation slider about 20 and upped the blue by about 20-30 to bring the blue back to where it was originally but suppress the rest of the hues a little. The green trees and red bricks of the background were swallowing the “blue curves thing” a little more than I wanted. The lighting was not my friend yesterday, but I was short on time and couldn’t wait around for a break in the cloud cover – which I’m fairly sure would not have come anyways, it started raining around 7pm last night and hasn’t stopped since (currently 9:30a). A quick look out the window here at the office shows what may be a break in the rain/clouds on the horizon though.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

I agree on both questions – ‘Cuda, your entry looks perfectly acceptable and Yugo, I like the B&W Buick better (it’s got more “character”).

ravnostic
    Participant

Jebus, I was just looking for clarification on a point while I sort through the archives (yeah…I know), and I found that I’m the one who prompted this theme’s return.

//I gotta get a secretary…I’m losing it. I’ll settle for a poolboy, though.

lokisbong
    Participant

Hey don’t feel too bad about archive diving Ravnostic. I have two this week from the archives and one I shot last week I think it was for tomorrows theme. Gonna be a bit late entering my pics this week though because I got a call today to be at one of the places I applied for ages ago it seems. They want me there at 1pm ready to work and I know they do 8 hour shifts! woo hoo! So I will be maybe half an hour after it goes green Maybe a bit more.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Conga-rats on the job Loki, hope it pans out.

ravnostic
    Participant

Best wishes, loki!!

Turns out I went no further than earlier this year for this one. All sky-themed, we’ll see how it goes.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Huzzah, lokisbong!!

Barracuda: I don’t have a problem with either of your images. They don’t look cartoonish or unrealistic.

Yugoboy: While I think the red Chevy really pops, I think the closer Buick shot emphasizes the curves more. Also for the record, dodging and burning are ok even digitally (when used judiciously, of course). They used to not be allowed, but a Farktographer brought it up for consideration several years back since it’s a dark room technique almost as old as dark rooms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘03-21-12 – Curves 2: Recurves’ is closed to new replies.