04-06-11 – Artsy-Fartsy

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-06-11 – Artsy-Fartsy

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

Silverstag; that streetlight is the ultimate in exposure perfection. I really like.

Thanks. See, there’s really no barrier to getting a well-exposed, perfectly focused view of a UFO.

olavf
    Participant

*sigh* waffled too long today, and now I need to wait for an email before I decide on my 3rd pic =P

olavf
    Participant

One bee:
    http://www.follandfamily.com/TF/farktography/110406.artsyfartsy/8552-manzar_can_tn.JPG
    Steel can at Manzanar “National Historic Site”, otherwise known as the internment camp we tried to forget

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I have a few more “camera meltdown” images which I prep’d for this contest. If you like sort of randomness, you can see them in this b-sides gallery.

The ones I came close to picking are these.

Red-streaked beach cliffs
    Orange toned beach over lily plant
    Psycadelic houseguest at the beach
    Heavy blue air on coast

I just wish I could turn that “effect” on and off at will. It’s only happened three times since I’ve owned the camera and this was the only batch where a number of images were unusable afterward.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Several bees here.
    Really had a hard time deciding what was “artsy” enough for this one…

ravnostic
    Participant

I jumped into the voting early. Would have been easier if there was a button ‘vote for all but these few’. Excellent shots, all!

ravnostic
    Participant

//there’s just a couple scarlet ‘r’s.

I’m impressed by the more ‘casual’ farktographer submissions. Tod_zilla is going to seize the day, I think–that is one sweet shot. And rsjohnson is coming in well with the Americana image, it’s his boobies. It’s a great example of why sometimes it’s okay to throw the rule-of-thirds out the window.

There’s 20 images that have 10 or more votes and it’s not even 10 hours into voting. *glee!*

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

rav, what’s the story with the double-exposure bee? Looks otherworldly.

Choc-ful-a, the houseguest is far-out, man 8)

Cause, the snowy mountain is spectacular! I too had a hard time deciding this week, b-sides here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/sets/72157626007121333/

I’m hoping to do better than our last arty theme, Artistic Bent, where my “best” was 130th place 😳

ravnostic
    Participant

X^0 (wait–that feels wrong…but is it right?); The B/W concert shot–thinking “All and all it’s just a

nuther brick in the wall”. Wished ya’d used.

Copy the bee image and paste into any given photo manipulation program. Rotate image 180 degrees.

//saving for umop 3p!sdn, maybe.

orionid
    Participant
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks, Zero! I assume you’re talking about the one in the bees, right? It’s looking like I should’ve gone with that one instead of my Coffee Skies A (but I really liked that one).

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I too had a hard time deciding this week, b-sides here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42385982@N06/sets/72157626007121333/

I’m hoping to do better than our last arty theme, Artistic Bent, where my “best” was 130th place 😳

Voters, one big hairball of chaotic unpredictability… I do check the votes every contest I enter, but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t take the results personally anymore.

As for your b-sides, I love, love, love the Rusty Sail photo. But I’m a sucker for images that show signs of age and have a strong pattern/geometric component to the composition. So that one just pushes my “like” buttons by design.

And I think Light Bomb and Green Taps are both really nice too. I could see them working for an “arty” contest, but there’s also something creepy about them too. So I think you could use them in other contests.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Bees: Some I figured, even given the theme, were just too artsy-fartsy for fark voters
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5590990700/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5590974204/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5590973068/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionid/5590968452/

Wow, I like all of them, but the purple fence is so insane it deserves an explicit mention. The photo is composed and shot well, but it’s only just bizarre to think someone painted a fence that color on purpose! My first reaction was that it was some oddball camera you built to mess with colors. 🙂 Also, I’m glad you posted the full res image so I could figure out what that damned yellow poster was.. If I ever find myself in New London looking for a musical venue, I now know to go to the El ‘N’ Gee club.

Also, the weird old, hazy, monochromatic images in the other three above a very nice too, especially with the annotations about how they were created. The work required to prepare to get those photos is just as cool as the photos themselves. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear you got a call from Mythbusters at some point to help test some random “can you make a photograph with FOO” theory.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

ravnostic, still can’t figure out for sure what the secondary image is. I’d guess either the rooftop of another building, or more likely an empty fountain ( those round pipes would be where the water comes out? ).

CauseISaidSo, yes the b-side one, it’s gorgeous.

Choc-ful-a, thanks much for the feedback! I wanted to use Rusty Sail, but swapped it out for the B+W Buster profile–it’ll probably turn up in a future contest. The other two I entered were my “absolutley must go in” for this theme, so of course the dog is doing better 🙄

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Zero, thanks again. And I agree with Choc-Ful-A on your Rusty Sail – it really grabbed me when I first opened it.

orionid, I like your sunflowers. Also like the soda can flamingos and I’m surprised it’s not doing better in this contest. Then again, I’m not sure voters are voting on this one based on theme adherence or applicability. There are a few with decent vote counts that are neat shots but not what I’d call artsy. Not complaining at all, just my opinion.

As to predicting the voters whims, I’m in the same boat as the rest of y’all. I posted my shots in the order I thought they’d place and as of now they’re completely swapped.

I haven’t posted one of these in a while and since rav mentioned vote counts, here’s how vote totals have been running:

Hugging this one pretty close to the average line, which is good since 4 out of the last 5 have been pretty far below average (vote count-wise only, not a commentary on theme quality).

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • The topic ‘04-06-11 – Artsy-Fartsy’ is closed to new replies.