04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    monsieurstabby
    Participant

Any way to do this without photoshop?

I can get my hands on it though if I need to.

lokisbong
    Participant

I used a thing called Qtpfsgui. if I remember right it is free.

linguine
    Participant

I used a thing called Qtpfsgui. if I remember right it is free.

Yeah its free although theyre changing the name over to luminance so don’t be confused that the download has a different name. Download page for anyone that needs it – http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/download.php

ennuipoet
    Participant

Any way to do this without photoshop?

I can get my hands on it though if I need to.

For those without photoshop, most of the HDR programs have a free trial period. Photomatix outputs the work with a watermark that is not terribly distracting. The software isn’t cheap, but the open source versions are really difficult to work with. I tried doing HDR in the GIMP for a while. It hurt. In the end, managed to get my hands on Photomatix, (and yes that is a euphemism) and found life much simpler.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I like this. I even made one so far.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us your High Dynamic Range images, photos that combine two or more exposures or a single exposure processed in a way that maximizes both shadow and highlight detail.

Thanks to linguine for the classic theme suggestion!

**Note: This theme was rescheduled from February to allow for more time to get acquainted with HDR techniques and software. Sorry for any confusion!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Sorry if this is confusing, but in splitting and merging the posts from these two themes, the usual boobies post is down several because it sorts by date, and I can’t seem to do anything about that. Mea culpa!

nobigdeal
    Participant

I have Qtpfsgui but don’t get any good results. I use Photomatix pro. It was well worth the money to me.
    They now have a “light” version but I don’t know what it does.

Crazy HDR

Light HDR

Both done with Photomatix Pro

orionid
    Participant

I have Qtpfsgui but don’t get any good results. I use Photomatix pro. It was well worth the money to me.

I’ve played around with both Qtpfsgui and it’s newer version luminance with mediocre at best, crappy as the norm results. Hmmm….

/Edited for bbcode farkup.

nobigdeal
    Participant

I’ve played around with both Qtpfsgui and it’s newer version luminance with mediocre at best, crappy as the norm results. Hmmm….

/Edited for bbcode farkup.

Digital photo pro magazine has a good article on Photomatix this month.

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/software/image-processing/a-brief-guide-to-hdr-photography.html

clouddancer
    Participant

So to make HDR work do you essentially take a couple of frames of the same sight in order to combine them? I know I’m asking this before I look it up or anything, but just getting a sense of the set up I need to make this happen. Thanks!

nobigdeal
    Participant

So to make HDR work do you essentially take a couple of frames of the same sight in order to combine them? I know I’m asking this before I look it up or anything, but just getting a sense of the set up I need to make this happen. Thanks!

Usually you take 3 shots: one under exposed, one proper exposure, and one over exposed and combine them.

clouddancer
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, NBD. I’m not sure if I have enough shots of the same thing to make it work so that gives me something to make happen and then try out. Thanks!

clouddancer
    Participant

Are there any scenes or particular subjects that lend themselves to HDR? I’m having difficulty coming up with something near by to use, and given that the snow is finally almost all gone it’s now easier to get out to shoot. I’m so uninspired and out of ideas lately, it’s sad. I’m contemplating using some of the fake flowers I have to see if HDR will lend to making them seem more real. Nothing’s sprouting yet, much less blossoming, so I’d have to purchase to use real flowers.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Anything can be used, really, but where it can be particularly effective are scenes with high contrast where there are deep shadows combined with very bright highlight areas. It’s difficult for cameras (especially digital cameras) to expose for a scene like that and not either underexpose or overexpose some part of it, so using HDR you can more effectively capture the tones in that scene.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3’ is closed to new replies.