04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    lokisbong
    Participant

I am also having a lot of problems getting this to look right. I cannot afford Photomatix and I am not getting very good results from Qtpfsgui. I spent like six hours yesterday and they all end up looking like the mermaid I posted here Feb 04, 2010 except with more trees and other green things. this is the best of the three I uploaded I think.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4499462216_dec2e5336f_b.jpg

Curious
    Participant

If you wish to get all weepy at how GOOD HDR can be http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-camera/. This fellow is an acknowledge Master of the Craft and his work really peaked my interest in what can be done with HDR.

liked the “ice hell” one and the donkey but overall i’m not sold on HDR. to me it’s not natural and seems a bit garish. YMMV

that said i hate you for linking to that site. just spent a half hour looking at nikons i can’t afford but droll over.

bought a refurbished L20 the other day and while i like the color saturation the lack of sharpness at distance is a bit annoying. macro is real nice however. i’m guessing it wasn’t designed for serious telephoto work. the “smile” feature gave me a clue 🙂

orionid
    Participant

Is it bad if I just now started playing with the free trial version of photomatix? I’ve played with qtpsgui before with frownable results, and even worse with ps’s built-in hdr.

I really wanted to play this week, too. :/

linguine
    Participant

I am also having a lot of problems getting this to look right. I cannot afford Photomatix and I am not getting very good results from Qtpfsgui. I spent like six hours yesterday and they all end up looking like the mermaid I posted here Feb 04, 2010 except with more trees and other green things. this is the best of the three I uploaded I think.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2689/4499462216_dec2e5336f_b.jpg

Are you using the fatal operator? I like the mantiuk operator myself and can get fairly realistic looking shots that way.

lokisbong
    Participant

I agree that the mantiuk looks more realistic but most of my attempts looked rather washed out after all is said n done. Just not very vibrant or over the top.I cannot seem to find middle ground.

corsec67
    Participant

I used the Fattal operator for one of my images, but turned it way down, Alpha and beta at about .92 for my 3000×2000 image.

My other two entries are done with Mantiuk, and they seem to look like CG renderings.

One thing is that I tend to use a lot of images, going from 1 second to 30 seconds in about 5 or 6 images.

bucky_bacon
    Participant

Thanks to ennuipoet for the assistance…

I’m kinda torn here. I like my pics, but they’re pretty light on the ‘HDR effect.’ Then you can say ‘Well the best ones are more realistic looking’ but then how do you really know that there was any effect applied? I dunno… throw it up there and hope it sticks.

/disregard

olavf
    Participant

Dropping 20 and punting…

ennuipoet
    Participant

Thanks to ennuipoet for the assistance…

I’m kinda torn here. I like my pics, but they’re pretty light on the ‘HDR effect.’ Then you can say ‘Well the best ones are more realistic looking’ but then how do you really know that there was any effect applied? I dunno… throw it up there and hope it sticks.

/disregard

Your welcome (unless you get more votes than me! 😛 ) The thing with HDR is how relative it all is. I was 100% with Curious about the fake/overdone look until I started playing with it. HDR Photography is just a method to capture the full dynamic range of a scene, the “HDR Look” is merely a matter of preference. FWIW, I loved the Skyline and the Signs, and will be voting for both.

Here’s a link to my HDR set on Flickr, for those interested.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/sets/72157622842248524/

justkat
    Participant

kestrana, ornionid... Fanuel Hall? I spelled that wrong, but that’s my guess.

linguine
    Participant
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

I had fun playing with this again, even though I’m not a big fan of HDR myself. But it’s fun to do something different once in awhile. I also tended to prefer the Mantiuk tone mapper in Qtpfsgui. You just really have to play with all the different knobs and sliders, and that can definitely be time consuming. There are certain tone mappers that I just never could get usable results with.

Anyway, good thread so far! Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=5184620

justkat
    Participant

Dropping 20 and punting…

It’s so cute when you try to talk sports. 😉

Kestrana
    Participant

Faneuil Hall, yes?

Edit: *sigh* I’ll have to hurt orionid later

justkat
    Participant

Faneuil Hall, yes

w00t! I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T… 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘04-07-10 – Farktography Classic: HDR 3’ is closed to new replies.