04-16-08 – Glass

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Anything glass. From skyscrapers to something from the kitchen sink.

Thanks to anku66 and U-Man for the theme suggestion!

shep.1972
    Participant

fiberglass in the raw? something made of it? just curious – ‘things made with fiberglass’ would cover a lot of ground and it wouldn’t be visually obvious that it was, indeed, made of glass.

sirosisoflyvre
    Participant

Elsinore – there was a Dale Chihuly exhibit that I was able to get lots of pictures from. I assume that I’d be OK with that, even though it’s his artistic property. Maybe I’m taking this srsly?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah it should be fine. You aren’t publishing the photo (IANAL, but from my reading on the subject, posting small photos on the web doesn’t count as “publishing”). If you want to cover all your bases, you can credit him in your post and if you really want to go the extra mile you can put a disclaimer saying the work is his copyright and remains so, or some such.

sirosisoflyvre
    Participant

Thank you, kind lady, for your sage advice.

If you’ve never seen his works displayed, they’re pretty cool. I saw them at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Beautiful stuff.

Morningbreath
    Participant

Thank you, kind lady, for your sage advice.

If you’ve never seen his works displayed, they’re pretty cool. I saw them at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. Beautiful stuff.

There was a great article on him, with lots of photos in Smithsonian magazine a while back. Absolutely incredible stuff.

soosh
    Participant

I think “things made of fiberglass” is going too far. A picture of a canoe, for instance, in a theme of glass?

Just my opinion.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I think “things made of fiberglass” is going too far. A picture of a canoe, for instance, in a theme of glass?

Just my opinion.

Yeah, sorry I missed your question earlier, shep. 1972, but I’d have to agree with soosh on fiberglass, particularly boats. On the other hand, if someone shot some fiberglass insulation, I could see an argument for it–most people know it’s made of strands of glass. But it was U-Man‘s and anku66‘s theme, so if either of them has an opinion on fiberglass, by all means chime in.

staplermofo
    Participant

How about glass-like plastics, like acrylic, lexan and plexiglas?

edit: This has nothing to do with that sexy acrylic stapler I just ordered.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m going to guess if someone can’t tell it’s plastic/acrylic, it’ll pass, but you’re on your honor since it isn’t really glass. Any thoughts on specifically allowing or excluding that stuff? I don’t care myself, but if we clarify it, we need to do it quickly.

lokisbong
    Participant

this is a fairly tricky theme.it is a real challenge to get my camera to focus on clear glass objects and one of the shots I really want to do is this little glass globe of the Earth.I have tried dark background and tin foil background and I tried under lighting it with a red LED.Do I have the right idea?
    this is another shot I was thinking of.Just the first of the two pics.the second one is for scale.please make with advice.

caradoc
    Participant

this is a fairly tricky theme.it is a real challenge to get my camera to focus on clear glass objects and one of the shots I really want to do is this little glass globe of the Earth.I have tried dark background and tin foil background and I tried under lighting it with a red LED.Do I have the right idea?

Something to try – get a straight pin, and put the point of the pin in contact with the glass at the spot you want to focus on.

Turn off your autofocus, focus on the point of that pin, remove the pin, and shoot. Bob’s your uncle.

U-Man
    Participant

Just my opinion.

Yeah, sorry I missed your question earlier, shep. 1972, but I’d have to agree with soosh on fiberglass, particularly boats. On the other hand, if someone shot some fiberglass insulation, I could see an argument for it–most people know it’s made of strands of glass. But it was U-Man‘s and anku66‘s theme, so if either of them has an opinion on fiberglass, by all means chime in.

Glass, fiberglass, plexiglass – it’s all good as long as it makes me think of glass. However, if you showed me a fiberglass canoe, my brain might have to make to big of a leap to make the connection –> no votes.

My theme (with anku66) and I GOT NUTHIN’. Have an idea or two though……

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Glass, fiberglass, plexiglass – it’s all good as long as it makes me think of glass. However, if you showed me a fiberglass canoe, my brain might have to make to big of a leap to make the connection –> no votes.

Ok plexiglass is good, then is acrylic (plastic, but glass-like in appearance) ok?

U-Man
    Participant

Ok plexiglass is good, then is acrylic (plastic, but glass-like in appearance) ok?

I don’t know……on the fence…..

Does anybody have any input? While I am on the fence, I’m leaning toward acrylic and other plastics being OK as long as they look like glass.

If you’re looking for a definite ruling (and if I have the authority) – Glass-like compounds are OK. I don’t want anybody to play sheriff unnecessarily and I don’t want to exclude any cool pics. Folks should just try to stay with the overall direction of the theme.

Does that help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘04-16-08 – Glass’ is closed to new replies.