04-16-08 – Glass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Side note –

I just had one of the drives in my RAID 0 fail. Got some replacement drives and am going through the process of rebuilding. I lost everything on the C drive.

I’m relating this because, while it is a bit of a pain to rebuild, I had almost everything backed up. I lost my original series of fire pics and one series of the kids playing in the rain. But that is about it. For you newbies out there, and perhaps some others, think about this. Plan on your computer crashing. It is not a question of “if”; it is a question of “when”. Get an external drive and at least copy your documents (music and photos). You can always reload your programs and drivers. I’m a bit compulsive and have an internal storage drive as well as external drives. I had to go through data recovery 7-8 years ago and it was scary. All of those irreplaceable baby/toddler pics were almost GONE.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

If you’re looking for a definite ruling (and if I have the authority) – Glass-like compounds are OK. I don’t want anybody to play sheriff unnecessarily and I don’t want to exclude any cool pics. Folks should just try to stay with the overall direction of the theme.

Does that help?

I think so. Kind of along the lines of “if it looks like glass, it gets the benefit of the doubt, but if it doesn’t look like glass, it’s off-topic”* ?

*fiberglass being a separate issue and already covered, of course.

U-Man
    Participant

I think so. Kind of along the lines of “if it looks like glass, it gets the benefit of the doubt, but if it doesn’t look like glass, it’s off-topic”* ?

Yeah. What she said.

lokisbong
    Participant

I just looked at the folder with all my glass shots and I have to pick three out of 198.a lot of them are sub par so that helps narrow it down.

sirosisoflyvre
    Participant

U-Man – my prevailing thought is true glass. We could have a contest for plastic(s).

That’s one thing that I like about the farktography stuff is that it’s usually pretty straightforward on contest rules. I’m concerned that when this goes live, if there are interpretations of not-glass, it could turn into a trainwreck.

Of course, it’s not my contest, it’s yours. Have at it, good ladies and sirs.

I’ll actually be entering this one.

U-Man
    Participant

U-Man – my prevailing thought is true glass. We could have a contest for plastic(s).

That’s one thing that I like about the farktography stuff is that it’s usually pretty straightforward on contest rules. I’m concerned that when this goes live, if there are interpretations of not-glass, it could turn into a trainwreck.

Of course, it’s not my contest, it’s yours. Have at it, good ladies and sirs.

I’ll actually be entering this one.

I hear you. When making the call about ‘true glass’, I strongly considered excluding all non-glass stuff. However, I left it more open to encourage creativity. I just want to see a bunch of cool pics. 8)

I have a feeling that almost all of the entries will conform to the general idea of the theme. I hope so anyway. Plus, it is too damn late in the game to be changing the difficulty significantly.

By the way, I don’t consider this as my contest. I just threw out the idea a while back. I’ll gladly let Lady E play sheriff. If needed, I can be the deputy.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

So I stayed up way late into the morning taking photos, uploading from my camera, selecting finalists, cropping/resizing, etc… then juggled meetings today to upload the images to my hosting site, solicit feedback from my supporters at work, and just barely got everything ready to post by 5:40pm PT, yay!

Then I realized today is Tuesday and well, hmmm…

staplermofo
    Participant

I’ll gladly let Lady E play sheriff. If needed, I can be the deputy.

You’re just trying to avoid being shot by Bob Marley.

U-Man
    Participant

I am all sick and tired and cranky this morning but that made me smile.

I’ll probably have that song in my head all day.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Dammit. Now I’m going to be shot through the heart, and you’re to blame.

/ok, that song isn’t nearly as cool as “I Shot the Sheriff”
    //not sure how she feels about being a “sheriff”

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Dammit. Now I’m going to be shot through the heart, and you’re to blame.

/ok, that song isn’t nearly as cool as “I Shot the Sheriff”
    //not sure how she feels about being a “sheriff”

I’m not sure it’s the bullet you need to worry about, it’s the low spark of high-heeled boys that will lay you to rest.

/Trying to give you a range of choices for “stuck in your head” songs

staplermofo
    Participant

I know it’s super late, but could I get some opinions if this is glassy enough?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It is certainly very glasslike in appearance, though I know in my head (or reasonably suspect) it’s acrylic. Pretty wild to see the inner workings of a stapler…

staplermofo
    Participant

Rats, I knew I should have taken that glass-blowing-then-forming-into-a-stapler class.

soosh
    Participant

I thought I wasn’t going to have anything for this contest, then I remembered hey, broken glass is glass, too!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘04-16-08 – Glass’ is closed to new replies.