04-27-11 – Some Hate Broccoli…

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 04-27-11 – Some Hate Broccoli…

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    nobigdeal
    Participant

We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by.

Also, no word from corsec 🙁

He’s posting recent pics so he must be ok. Looks like he’s back in Colorado.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/corsec67

ennuipoet
    Participant

Now see, this is what drives me nuts about myself. I can photograph a stranger on the street and achieve a compelling, visually compelling and remarkable image (at least in my opinion) but I cannot do the same for my friends and famly! The shots I posted this week are…nice…but they don’t grab you, they don’t speak to moment or the person. I really don’t understand why I am perfectly comfortable stalking a strange to get the right shot but I can’t do the same for the people I love. 😡

olavf
    Participant

For me, I think when I photograph friends & family, I hold the photos to an even higher standard than if I were to do studio work for pay (which I don’t). I’ve learned to be more forgiving of minor flaws when I’m taking street photos because it’s less than ideal conditions, generally, and I know I only get one take (if I’m lucky). When it’s friends & family, I think you want everything to be ‘perfect’.

Farktographer
    Participant

For me, I think when I photograph friends & family, I hold the photos to an even higher standard than if I were to do studio work for pay (which I don’t). I’ve learned to be more forgiving of minor flaws when I’m taking street photos because it’s less than ideal conditions, generally, and I know I only get one take (if I’m lucky). When it’s friends & family, I think you want everything to be ‘perfect’.

Ennui, I think olavf hit this one on the head. When it’s a stranger, you don’t know their personality or much about them, so when you capture the moment you can just fit them into your situation as needed. When you have a family member or friend, you want to be able to get an image that you can look at and think, “this is really them. This is how they look, this is how they feel, this is how they act,” and that’s much much harder IMO. I like how your shots came out 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Farktographer, speaking of liking how your shots came out, your Blue-Eyes is adorable.

Farktographer
    Participant

Thanks! :mrgreen: I had to separate my niece from the crowd celebrating her 2nd birthday, then handed her balloons and got a series of similar shots – that one was my favorite of them though.

On an unrelated note, I tend to get iffy around black and white shots, but really liked your Brother-in-law and nephew (his son).

olavf
    Participant

Another thought – when I’m taking pictures of my kids for something specific, like a Farktography contest or whatever, it’s also easier than just getting them to sit down for portraits. Not just because they’re kids – I’ve got them set up for something very particular in my mind, and explain it to them, and coach them towards that. At that point they’re more of a model than a family member so it’s not as ‘personal’ (well, most of the time).

/that said, I’m kinda suprised I got three shots I was happy with last weekend at all

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks as well. I’m with you in that I’m not a big B&W guy, but that one just happened to lend itself well to the treatment. I don’t find the color version nearly as interesting.

Farktographer
    Participant

Eh…second one in this contest. Woodstock_the_Mighty’s 2011-04-28 04:05:50 PM submission is a compilation pic. A shame, b/c it’s pretty interesting idea…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yep, it’s vote disabled now.

U-Man
    Participant

ravnostic: (she’s a nice girl, wouldn’t go flipping off the camera or anything raunchy and disreputable) 😉

My daughter has a message for you. 🙂

LOL, U-man; is that an older one who’s corrupted the younger, or the same one, just a little older but with the same snippy attitude? 😆

Same kid. Same day. Two frames later. I left this one in color and sharpened it. The other went b&w, softer and bumped the contrast.

BTW, I told her to look mad at me. I don’t really accept kids being snippy to me. 🙂

Those first two ‘Regular’ B’s are much more her personality.

SilverStag
    Participant

U-Man, I laughed my ass off at that, because my granddaughter did it to me a couple of weeks ago.

U-Man
    Participant

U-man, I love that pillow toss b.

Thanks. It was in a Chicago hotel. My wife, girls and I meet Mopsy and my siter, her hubby and boys in Chi-town at least once a year. This was Sunday morning, after brunch, before driving our separate ways. I’d love to try 20 or 30 more takes with different flash settings and more coaching about poses. 🙂

U-Man
    Participant

Now see, this is what drives me nuts about myself. I can photograph a stranger on the street and achieve a compelling, visually compelling and remarkable image (at least in my opinion) but I cannot do the same for my friends and famly! The shots I posted this week are…nice…but they don’t grab you, they don’t speak to moment or the person. I really don’t understand why I am perfectly comfortable stalking a strange to get the right shot but I can’t do the same for the people I love. 😡

I agree with the comments immediately following your post. I’d add that, in my experience, I find taking portrait type pics (not 300 mm stalker shots) of strangers…well scarier. It takes a certain something to go up to a stranger and ask to photograph them. Every time that I have done so I am proud of myself. I think I look at those shots with bias. Looking at the pic evokes an emotion in me of “how cool I am because I did that mildly challenging thing”. 🙂

I think that is part of it for me.

Curious
    Participant

i shot some candids at a ren faire by holding the camera at waist level then shooting. that will work if you are at the right distance with a fairly wide lens. didn’t ask anyone for permission. one couple realized what i was doing and made a point of looking toward the camera and smiling. of course there folks in costume expect to get photographed.

folks in public have no expectation of privacy but if i see that someones is turning away i won’t take the shot. otherwise folks on the street are fair game. OTOH i’m not big on people pictures so it doesn’t come up much.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • The topic ‘04-27-11 – Some Hate Broccoli…’ is closed to new replies.