07-25-12 – This Old Car

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-25-12 – This Old Car

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Pictures of and relating to automobiles over 20 years old (pre-1992

The aptly named Yugoboy suggested this theme for your Farktography pleasure!

Barracuda
    Participant

Are reproduction cars aright? ie: Shelby Cobra reproductions, etc.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Look at the registration sticker. Does it state a year before 1992? Then you may use it. If it does not, you may not.

If your state does not have the year of the vehicle on the registration sticker (NY does) then you should use your best judgement.

I hope that helps, Barracuda.

bender16v
    Participant

1992 and “this old car” makes me feel old, that doesn’t seem too long ago. I might try to dig my old project car from the garage that I haven’t touched for years.

orionid
    Participant

Look at the registration sticker. Does it state a year before 1992? Then you may use it. If it does not, you may not.

If your state does not have the year of the vehicle on the registration sticker (NY does) then you should use your best judgement.

I’ve lived in Eight states and driven in over half. NY’s the only one I’ve ever seen [strike]put anywhere near that much info on the[/strike] that even has a registration sticker.

Kit cars and rebuilds are a tough call, honestly. Most of your kit cars do start with a new fiberglass shell, but will use the best-of from each of the different manufacturers. It’s not uncommon to see something registered as a 20XX homemade with a 199X Street Beasts body, a 197X Mustang II front clip, a 198X Dana 60 rear end, and a pre metric (52-86) Chevy small block.

Conversely, I have a friend who built a T-bucket from all original parts when he was in high school. Body is a 1911 Model T, Frame is a 1932 Ford Pickup, Steering/suspension is a 1935 Delivery wagon, and the motor is a 1954 Corvette 327. But because it was all junk yard parts with no pre-existing VIN, he was forced to register it as a 1996 Ford.

I’ll be honest, I have a bunch of car show photos that I couldn’t tell you if it’s kit or original steel. I’ve also seen some that I thought were kits (33 Vicky, *drool*) until I saw the accompanying photo album where the first five pages were step-by-step shots of divers and cranes pulling the steel out of the Hudson River without causing any more damage. I’d say if it’s a true rebuild, it’s kosher, and if it’s a kit of an obvious classic (41 Willys, 34 Ford Coupe, 33 Cabriolet, etc,), then it’s golden. I don’t really think there’s any worry of someone posting shots of their 1998 Toyota Camry kit car, so the flavor is met.

lokisbong
    Participant

1992 and “this old car” makes me feel old, that doesn’t seem too long ago. I might try to dig my old project car from the garage that I haven’t touched for years.

You are not kidding there. I was already married and then divorced in 92 And in all that time since I have only owned three vehicles that were newer that 1992.
    I have a ton of car show pictures from Northern Cali So I can archive dive if I don’t get anything new I like.

Barracuda
    Participant

Fair nuff Yugoboy.

lokisbong
    Participant

Do you mean the tag on the license plate? because I have never seen anything on the plates but the year the tags expire here on the left half of the U.S.. on the plus side I can guarantee all three of my pics will be classics closer to 50+years old taken at car shows.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I know ’92 doesn’t seem overly “old” and I’m assuming most photos will show off what we would actually consider “old” (30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, maybe some 70’s) but I had to decide on a cut-off and went with the definition of “classic” from my one year DJ-ing at college. There was a “Classic” entry we had to fill on our play-lists and it was defined as 20 years or older.

Also, I’m not exactly going to be a pain in the ass about policing “Old”… the voters can make up their own minds. People shouldn’t be posting pics of obviously newer cars, and I don’t think they will.

kashari
    Participant

So there isn’t a restriction on kit cars? I went to a car show, but have no idea about that kind of stuff….they all had wheels & engines tho. 😆

U-Man
    Participant

Sorry if this has been answered. I’m at work, had an idea and want to ask about it before i forget.

What about models of old cars? I think I have a ’57 Chevy model and would like to try photographing it against an ‘infinity wall’ of curved paper.

I’m totally cool if this is restricted to real cars.

emiliogtz
    Participant

Anybody knows if this thing is pre-1992? It had no badges and I barely had time to take its picture as I walked past by it rather quickly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emiliogt/7631541982/

It has that 80’s look and feel but I could be wrong.

I expect the classics to be more than covered this week, so maybe I’ll show some love for the mundane, knowing the voters won’t. =)

U-Man
    Participant

I don’t know. Does this help?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_2_(T3)

Barracuda
    Participant

Ended up throwing a “who’s got an old car and willing to let me take pictures of it” message up on facebook. Oddly enough a cycling friend had just returned from Austin to pick up a new-to-him 85 Camaro. Perhaps not the coolest set of old wheels around, but beggers can’t be choosers, and I did come back with a few decent shots.

U-Man
    Participant

Gaaaa. I just had a chance to shoot a baby blue ’78 Benz convertible fall through. 🙁

Like this one – http://goodmanreed.com/images/sized/images/uploads/1978Mercedes450SL28KMain-763×450.jpg

It would have looked sweet in a corn field or a two-track.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • The topic ‘07-25-12 – This Old Car’ is closed to new replies.