07-30-08 – I Tawt I Taw a Puddytat!

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 07-30-08 – I Tawt I Taw a Puddytat!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    wrayvynn
    Participant

I have a question……I’m new here and can’t seem to find where it tells you how long the voting last until a winner is announced. Anyone?

till sunday i believe

schnee
    Participant

Actually, I was wondering if the Farktographers over time graph could be improved, perhaps by making the boobies and weeners 5 contest moving averages or something…. it’s awfully hard to read as is right now.

I also added a 10 contest MA to the boobies and weeners lines and spread it out a bit.

Let me know what you think.

(btw – this is the go-to report that I use to judge the health of the Farktography Program. It is also the one report that I take the most pride in)

(btbtw – 2nd best contest evar, by prit near every measure)

linguine
    Participant

I think its usually called on early Saturday afternoon.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Ok, this clearly proves that thousands of dollars of camera equipment, not to mention years of experience, mean absolutely nothing in Farktography!!!! My highest total vote getting image is seven years old, and it came from the first set of shots I downloaded from the first camera I ever bought, back in 2001…..

If you don’t take compliments well, then stop reading now… IMO you’re just a talented photographer and that’s going to come out to some degree no matter what tech is in your hands.

If spending money of gear was all it took to win contests I don’t think it would be worth participating. It’s like being a NY Yankee fan or something. KIDDING!

In all seriousness, I think digital images do tend to do better in Farktography contest on average than film. And I suspect better equipment boosts votes a even more (again in general). But I’m very happy when I see a photo that’s creative, well composed but has technical weaknesses get votes. It confirms that at least some of the core values rewarded by the readers are still artists in nature.

Yes, cute kids boost votes too so it’s not just “art”. But at least you can’t by kids at the local Ritz Camera shop to make sure you win a contest. At least not in northern California.

URMiztakin
    Participant

Thanx wrayvynn and linguine!

andyofne
    Participant

Ok, this clearly proves that thousands of dollars of camera equipment, not to mention years of experience, mean absolutely nothing in Farktography!!!! My highest total vote getting image is seven years old, and it came from the first set of shots I downloaded from the first camera I ever bought, back in 2001…..

If you don’t take compliments well, then stop reading now… IMO you’re just a talented photographer and that’s going to come out to some degree no matter what tech is in your hands.

If spending money of gear was all it took to win contests I don’t think it would be worth participating. It’s like being a NY Yankee fan or something. KIDDING!

In all seriousness, I think digital images do tend to do better in Farktography contest on average than film. And I suspect better equipment boosts votes a even more (again in general). But I’m very happy when I see a photo that’s creative, well composed but has technical weaknesses get votes. It confirms that at least some of the core values rewarded by the readers are still artists in nature.

Yes, cute kids boost votes too so it’s not just “art”. But at least you can’t by kids at the local Ritz Camera shop to make sure you win a contest. At least not in northern California.

I have, so far, 28 votes for a picture I look in 1993 with one of those underwater disposable beach cameras. The print from which was scanned in on a cheap flatbed scanner after the picture sat in a box for 15 years.

Go figure.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Are wakitu’s 1st and 3rd entries repeats?

Yep, looks like they are. They were cute, too 🙁 voting is now disabled on them.

As for how long voting lasts, I’m not sure there’s a set time when it closes. We generally call the contest Saturday evening, but voting can continue till whenever Fark closes the thread. I think that can be Sunday, don’t think it runs longer than that as a general rule.

swampa
    Participant

I have noticed that the voting continues until Tuesday evening fark time, but after Saturday there tends to be only one or two more votes total (for example last week, Lovesandwich managed to pick up one vote after it was called to go ahead of U-Man but that happens very rarely)

FutherMucker
    Participant

It’s official…I have a new, favorite Farktography contest theme now…I’m certain I broke my old record of number of votes cast. It was a lot of fun to apply votes to images with great caption potential, as well as great photographs..Heck, I even voted for some just because they were sooo cute, or beautiful…As a cat lover/keeper, I really, REALLY enjoyed this one…Instant Hall of Fame theme !

sleeping
    Participant

For sure, although the equation would be a bit different if we were using, say 11×14 prints instead of 640px wide web images.

In all seriousness, I think digital images do tend to do better in Farktography contest on average than film.

Really? I wouldn’t have thought most people could tell, or that they would care if they did. I shoot plenty of both and haven’t noticed that there’s any advantage one way or the other.

linguine
    Participant

Yep, looks like they are. They were cute, too 🙁 voting is now disabled on them.

Yeah, I really liked that one with the cat in the boat and I think I voted for it both times which is the only reason why I think I noticed it.

lokisbong
    Participant

Actually, I was wondering if the Farktographers over time graph could be improved, perhaps by making the boobies and weeners 5 contest moving averages or something…. it’s awfully hard to read as is right now.

I also added a 10 contest MA to the boobies and weeners lines and spread it out a bit.

Let me know what you think.

(btw – this is the go-to report that I use to judge the health of the Farktography Program. It is also the one report that I take the most pride in)

(btbtw – 2nd best contest evar, by prit near every measure)

I would say the changes are better.
    I’m not doin very much in the way of votes but it sure is cool to see this many entries.my cat Pain is kinda hurt he isn’t getting many votes but he will get over it. 😉

SilverStag
    Participant

From the FSM this week:

These 86 new Farktographers displayed 136 Boobies, which gathered 1224 total votes.

Holy turkey stuffing, Batman!

That’s more entries and votes than some entire contests get, isn’t it?

SilverStag
    Participant

…and schnee- the widening of the graph is a big improvement, although it’s not gonna help when we get 20 more contests on there 🙂

schnee
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • The topic ‘07-30-08 – I Tawt I Taw a Puddytat!’ is closed to new replies.