08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    ennuipoet
    Participant

For those that are looking for a dedicated macro lens but are choking at the cost (I know I was!) Tamron’s 90mm Macro is a nice little lens for a much nicer price

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

I picked mine up on the Fleabay for around three hundred. The AF is slow and clunky, but you don’t need AF for macro anyway. It also makes a nice portrait lens with good bokeh (It’s blurry muthafarka!). The run new around 500 and half that used. Canon, Nikon and (god forbid) Pentax mounts.

EdenLiesObscured
    Participant

for those who don’t have a dedicated macro lens (i don’t either): lens reversal macro.
    google it. there are a number of variations and methods, and results can differ based on lens(es) used. takes some practice.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Scarlet R: Jasihn’s entry was previously used in Black

sleeping
    Participant

For those that are looking for a dedicated macro lens but are choking at the cost (I know I was!) Tamron’s 90mm Macro is a nice little lens for a much nicer price

Seconded. If you don’t mind all manual, the Adaptall 2 version (manual focus) is also excellent and even cheaper, although the most common version only goes to 1/2x magnification unaided.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Scarlet R: Jasihn’s entry was previously used in Black

Got it, thanks. Also just wanted to mention how convenient it is to have the direct links to the repeat entries for double checking–thank you for that!

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

*Doffs hat* Glad to be of service, ma’am. 😉

FYI, I’m hoping to be able to squeeze in a little time between now and vacation to add a Scarlet R page to BiblioStats as I won’t be around to report them then. As I mentioned previously, my schedule’s really tight ‘twixt now and then, so I can’t commit to it, but we’ll see.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

I picked mine up on the Fleabay for around three hundred. The AF is slow and clunky, but you don’t need AF for macro anyway. It also makes a nice portrait lens with good bokeh (It’s blurry muthafarka!). The run new around 500 and half that used. Canon, Nikon and (god forbid) Pentax mounts.

Thirded. I’m very fond of mine.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I used the 12 mm extension tube on my milk drops and on the recent pictures I took at the United States National Botanical Garden in D.C. It’s a lot easier to mount that on the 18-105 than to try and use the MF 200mm without a tripod.

mopsy
    Participant

Well gosh, I wish I had looked at the discussion thread sooner. I went ahead and entered another photo that will probably only get my vote, but oh well. How embarrassing………………the Scarlet R. 😳

Elsinore
    Keymaster

No worries, mopsy, I’ve done it myself.

In other news, our link down voter has struck again..we’re now at 17 votes instead of the 18 we had. Really not sure what kind of point s/he is trying to prove…

swampa
    Participant

That we don’t deserve to have 18 up votes? 😛

/Also a wearer of the scarlet R.

mopsy
    Participant

Elsinore, Swampa, that makes me feel better. I consider myself in good company.

As far as this thumbs up or down goes, can anyone vote more than once. I never voted at all until there was a point made about it recently and now I vote. But if just one person is voting down and can only vote once, is there really a problem? Or can you vote as many times as you want? I guess I don’t totally understand the process.

swampa
    Participant

You only get one vote per account. As Els said earlier, it was more to get noticed when we didn’t have a set posting time. It looks like most people aren’t voting these days though (Highest voted links (not sure if it only works for total farkers)) as we are currently third and five votes would get you in the top 10.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What swampa said. It really doesn’t amount to anything, and the vote total even disappears once the thread is closed. So again, I really don’t know why this person is so hell bent on voting us down. It’s only a single vote that the vote total dips by each week. I guess someone is either waaaaaay bored or has a huge hate-on for Farktography 😛

orionid
    Participant

I guess someone is either waaaaaay bored or has a huge hate-on for Farktography 😛

Maybe it’s the spammer that was using the aprillove20 account?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘08-24-11 – Barren Macro’ is closed to new replies.