08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    olavf
    Participant

If it’s any consolation, orionid, I haven’t done that one 😛

sleeping
    Participant

I searched flickr for “barren macro” in hopes of inspiration. Fail.

Maybe here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/macro_noflower_noinsect/

ravnostic
    Participant

Orionid, I was in the same boat (after having suggested the theme–*doh!*). I managed to get 3 by the end of last night, though. You’ll find your mojo–of that I have no doubt.

brownbread
    Participant

How about a picture of my face? It’s kinda barren. I’m kidding – I have a bubble ready, and I’m considering a watch.

But initially, just thinking about the word ‘barren’ and the images it conjures, I was considering things that are of no consequence of mankind’s doing, nor animal or any lifeform. So, rocks; water; errr. Mainly rocks and water.

But how cool are macro photos of rocks? Generally, not very. And water? Well.

Interesting theme, looking forward to the results on my Thursday morning.

Curious
    Participant

I searched flickr for “barren macro” in hopes of inspiration. Fail. Thousands of shots that were neither barren nor macro and two ice-covered dead-tree landscapes.

/Still got nuthin with a few mediocre ideas. May run with the light bulb filament if that’s not going to step on anyone’s toes.

i have a couple of variations on this but you are welcome to join in and make it a mini theme. i have a couple of 1911 shots too. 🙂

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

It looks like I’ll be sitting this one out. I’m struggling with work trying to get some things done before vacation in a couple of weeks, so I’ve had very little time to put into selecting from the archives, much less shooting new (as I’ve demonstrated recently – my overall performance in the last contest was my 4th worst ever.) Since we decided that scan’s of 3D objects are kosher (and I don’t have a true macro lens), I thought I might go that route, but I don’t even have time for that.

ennuipoet
    Participant

Well, in the 11th hour I finally have some shots I like. Basically I started throwing stuff in front of the camera hoping that desperation would step in where inspiration failed. It kinda did.

Curious
    Participant

i have another idea but 1) i’m not sure just what i need to pull it off, 2) not sure what to shoot if i can get the setup right.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I have light bulb filament stuff, but wasn’t considering it for this contest.

ravnostic
    Participant

How about a picture of my face? It’s kinda barren. I’m kidding – I have a bubble ready, and I’m considering a watch.

But initially, just thinking about the word ‘barren’ and the images it conjures, I was considering things that are of no consequence of mankind’s doing, nor animal or any lifeform. So, rocks; water; errr. Mainly rocks and water.

But how cool are macro photos of rocks? Generally, not very. And water? Well.

Interesting theme, looking forward to the results on my Thursday morning.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I chose ‘barren’ in relation to ‘non-reproductive’, as in ‘life forms and things that reproduce’. I didn’t mean it as in ‘without consequence of mankinds’ doing’. As such, anything man-made is fair game–so long as it’s not alive (we haven’t gotten that far, have we? After the mammoth & Iceman blunder… 😆 ). I hope you’ll reconsider and join in. There will surely, as always, be creative interpretations and yours among them would be welcomed.

//kinda thought everyone was on board and excited. A little sad that everyone’s experiencing inspirational difficulties–including myself. I managed to find my mojo–hope everyone else does, as I hoped it would be a neat theme for macrophotography. 🙁

ennuipoet
    Participant

I’m sorry you feel that way. I chose ‘barren’ in relation to ‘non-reproductive’, as in ‘life forms and things that reproduce’. I didn’t mean it as in ‘without consequence of mankinds’ doing’. As such, anything man-made is fair game–so long as it’s not alive (we haven’t gotten that far, have we? After the mammoth & Iceman blunder… 😆 ). I hope you’ll reconsider and join in. There will surely, as always, be creative interpretations and yours among them would be welcomed.

//kinda thought everyone was on board and excited. A little sad that everyone’s experiencing inspirational difficulties–including myself. I managed to find my mojo–hope everyone else does, as I hoped it would be a neat theme for macrophotography. 🙁

I really like the theme! I just found my ideas very hard to translate into workable shots. I don’t have a lot of things around the house that make for interesting shots and anything I might find lying about outside of the house is usually to disgusting to pick up! 😀

What I finally did shoot came out really well plus I learned a ton about lighting macro shots and using my off camera gear, so this has been a huge boon!

clouddancer
    Participant

Just an informal poll, how many are planning on doing Lego shots before I get too settled into one of the ones I have? I don’t want there to be too many…

zincprincess
    Participant

Reminder to self & others: DUST your object before spending 2 hrs working up some back spasms for a bunch of CRAPPY pics. 🙄

This. And be sure to get the cat hair off your black fabric backdrop BEFORE shooting 50 pictures that all contain cat hair.

oddmind
    Participant

I searched flickr for “barren macro” in hopes of inspiration. Fail. Thousands of shots that were neither barren nor macro and two ice-covered dead-tree landscapes.

/Still got nuthin with a few mediocre ideas. May run with the light bulb filament if that’s not going to step on anyone’s toes.

i have a couple of variations on this but you are welcome to join in and make it a mini theme. i have a couple of 1911 shots too. 🙂

Mr. Oddmind teaches Forensic Science/Police Science in high school, and he just moments ago brought me the materials I asked for. I hope to get at least one that might qualify for the mini-theme.

mopsy
    Participant

rav, I think you will be pleasantly surprise by how great the photos for this theme will turn out. I felt the same way you do, when I suggested the theme color popping naturally. No one sounded like they were even going to participate and then it was a great turn out. It always is. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘08-24-11 – Barren Macro’ is closed to new replies.