08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Okay, I’ve read through this thread and, given, I might have missed it, but – are we allowed to post things where the *subject* isn’t alive, but it’s clear there are alive things around it? Like, say, a ball in the grass, where the ball is clearly what’s focused on, but you can clearly see people and grass around it?

I would say no.

Kestrana
    Participant

I haven’t wanted to say anything but I really think there is too much controversy about what qualifies as barren in this theme.

There are a lot of things that come from living things that are not themselves living. For example: feathers, claws, teeth, fossils, dung, milk. If we start getting too technical, anything made of plastic (oil based item, oil is from dead animals and plants), limestone (animals in ancient seabeds) and wood are ineligible! Even steel uses carbon from burning wood. Yeah, sap is more “plantey” but it is not alive. And neither are feathers, claws, teeth, fossils or milk once they’re separated from their sources.

The composite materials in my pictures are water, sand, miscellaneous rock, ivory, milk and clay. If one of these is not acceptable please let me know right away.

olavf
    Participant

Well, that would answer QueenBee‘s question too.

/none of my shots fit this category but I was waffling on it. I suspect there’ll be a few shots that will show up in thread this week though.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t have an issue with sap, ivory, milk, etc, a long as they’re not photographed on living things (e.g. sap drop photographed on a tree or a ball photographed on grass with people in the background)

Farktographer
    Participant

So, say, sap on a metal disk would be fine but not on the tree. That sounds fair to me.

Uranus
    Participant

why, oh why, did I set myself the challenge of making all my subjects white?
    My cursing has already caused an earthquake on the east coast, and my wailing upon viewing the final results has blown
    a hurricane in that direction….

Elsinore
    Keymaster

So, say, sap on a metal disk would be fine but not on the tree. That sounds fair to me.

Yep

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Contest linky: http://www.fark.com/comments/6507632/

Don’t forget to link vote in case our resident down-voter shows up…

kashari
    Participant

why, oh why, did I set myself the challenge of making all my subjects white?
    My cursing has already caused an earthquake on the east coast, and my wailing upon viewing the final results has blown
    a hurricane in that direction….

😆

lokisbong
    Participant

All three of my shots were taken within the last two hours or so when I had a minor revelation with a cheap jewelers loupe and my point n shoot Canon. I think I am getting about twice as close as I could do not using it. I had nothing even half as interesting in my archives.

ravnostic
    Participant

Hey–I just noticed: Votes will register immediately.

//edit: of course, I can’t see 1/2 the pictures, so I’ll have to go back and get those later.

Curious
    Participant

Elsinore please turn voting on here

thanks, i ask in the fark forum thread (7) also.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Curious: Got it.

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yeah, I just noticed the instant voting thing too. What’s-a-goin’ on? Are the mods asleep, or is this a new feature?

ennuipoet
    Participant

Re early voting: As I understand it the voting is enabled for simplicity sake particularly as some threads go to Total Fark Discussion without being Greened. I believe Mike set it up for the votes to reset when the thread goes live. So, if you voted before the thread goes live at midnight you will need to vote again when it hits the main page.

Also: Some Bee’s on my Flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennuipoet/

I liked the bubbles on the Green Army Man, but decided it lacked the color to give it oomph.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘08-24-11 – Barren Macro’ is closed to new replies.