08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Plamadude30k
    Participant

Yeah, Rav, I’m totally excited for this one. I’ve got two solid entries I’m happy with, and I’m going to go find a third right now.

ravnostic
    Participant

Gosh, I sure hope so–but I shouldn’t doubt this group–yout’s knows how to bring game, even if at the last minute. Ya’ll are a constant source of amazement, inspiration and (when you out-do me, when I ‘thought’ I’d have a winner) frustration. 🙂

I really like my choices this week…but historically, I don’t fair well on themes I suggest, so ya’ll are expected to blow me away, and I look forward to seeing some most incredibly-amazing shots of ‘not bugs, not plants’. Bring it!!

yay!

Plamadude30k
    Participant

Actually, I just realized that one of my entries (my favorite, tbh) may be against the rules. It’s a shot of a computer screen at 1:1 macro, which shows the pixels (I know from having seen some in my time), but you can also make out some of the content. Can I get a ruling from the farktography pantheon? Yea or nay?

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I really, really like this theme but real life is not cooperating with my photographic interests lately. So I’ll be lurking and voting unless a last minute archive-dive turns up something (again). Good luck all!

orionid
    Participant

Actually, I just realized that one of my entries (my favorite, tbh) may be against the rules. It’s a shot of a computer screen at 1:1 macro, which shows the pixels (I know from having seen some in my time), but you can also make out some of the content. Can I get a ruling from the farktography pantheon? Yea or nay?

DAMNIT, JIM!

Seriously, though. I think as long as the photo is clearly of the pixels and not just a screenshot, it’s okay. People have used monitors to provide psychedelic, fractal, or white backgrounds in the past so it should be fine.

Also, I haven’t processed yet, but my pixels shot is a little more macro (10:1? 20:1? Haven’t done the math yet) so they’ll be different enough if I choose to use mine.

brownbread
    Participant

How about a picture of my face? It’s kinda barren. I’m kidding – I have a bubble ready, and I’m considering a watch.

But initially, just thinking about the word ‘barren’ and the images it conjures, I was considering things that are of no consequence of mankind’s doing, nor animal or any lifeform. So, rocks; water; errr. Mainly rocks and water.

But how cool are macro photos of rocks? Generally, not very. And water? Well.

Interesting theme, looking forward to the results on my Thursday morning.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I chose ‘barren’ in relation to ‘non-reproductive’, as in ‘life forms and things that reproduce’. I didn’t mean it as in ‘without consequence of mankinds’ doing’. As such, anything man-made is fair game–so long as it’s not alive (we haven’t gotten that far, have we? After the mammoth & Iceman blunder… 😆 ). I hope you’ll reconsider and join in. There will surely, as always, be creative interpretations and yours among them would be welcomed.

//kinda thought everyone was on board and excited. A little sad that everyone’s experiencing inspirational difficulties–including myself. I managed to find my mojo–hope everyone else does, as I hoped it would be a neat theme for macrophotography. 🙁

Ah what I meant was that my initial [mis]interpretation presented me with difficulty and confusion – no ideas whatsoever. I’m glad it’s not what I thought! I have a pleasing bubble picture lined up… and a watch which is alright. Looking forward to 1am!

chupathingie
    Participant

OK, so scratch the watch and the computer screen pixels…. I’m gonna have to get busy today, I think. Talk about last-minute prep!

Pope_Larry_II
    Participant

I think I have mine ready…I based my shoots on a running sement in Owl magazine (I think it was called that, it was a kids science magazine). It was about close up shots of everyday things. All I need to do is pick the 3 I want to use.

olavf
    Participant

I’ve got two, and a few ideas on a third, but I was too tired last night to shoot more. Hopefully I’ll get the third in by midnight…

Elsinore
    Keymaster

DAMNIT, JIM!

Seriously, though. I think as long as the photo is clearly of the pixels and not just a screenshot, it’s okay.

What orionid said^^

QueenBee
    Participant

OK I need a ruling (altho I’ve got backups I kind of just really like the shot)

what about a picture of sap? The tree is obviously in the background but it’s not the focus

http://i55.tinypic.com/4gg46g.jpg

I also have a pic of a golf ball and club while the ball is near the hole, there are blurry feet in the background..OK or no?

olavf
    Participant

I’m going to have to go with ‘no’ on the sap. I consider it pretty much analagous to ‘blood’ and therefore livong. One could possibly make an argument for amber, sans bugs, but not fresh sap.

The other one doesn’t sound terribly ‘macro’ to me :/

QueenBee
    Participant

I’m going to have to go with ‘no’ on the sap. I consider it pretty much analagous to ‘blood’ and therefore livong. One could possibly make an argument for amber, sans bugs, but not fresh sap.

The other one doesn’t sound terribly ‘macro’ to me :/

OK. I was wondering that about the sap as well.

not enough? My macro is just a p&s setting remember! 😛

http://i54.tinypic.com/2lmb6o3.jpg

Farktographer
    Participant

Okay, I’ve read through this thread and, given, I might have missed it, but – are we allowed to post things where the *subject* isn’t alive, but it’s clear there are alive things around it? Like, say, a ball in the grass, where the ball is clearly what’s focused on, but you can clearly see people and grass around it?

Farktographer
    Participant

Just an informal poll, how many are planning on doing Lego shots before I get too settled into one of the ones I have? I don’t want there to be too many…

Haven’t selected my 3 yet, but a Lego shot might show up in there.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘08-24-11 – Barren Macro’ is closed to new replies.