08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-24-11 – Barren Macro

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

FYI, I’m hoping to be able to squeeze in a little time between now and vacation to add a Scarlet R page to BiblioStats as I won’t be around to report them then. As I mentioned previously, my schedule’s really tight ‘twixt now and then, so I can’t commit to it, but we’ll see.

Well, it needed to be done before I leave, so I went ahead and bit the bullet. The first post of the New Features & Updates Announcement thread has been updated with the details. So, no more routine reporting of Scarlet R’s here. Els, the new report has links to the entries in the Fark contest pages, so you’re not losing that, you’ll just have to remember to check the active contest page periodically.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I guess someone is either waaaaaay bored or has a huge hate-on for Farktography 😛

Maybe it’s the spammer that was using the aprillove20 account?

Hmm that’s entirely plausible.

Well, it needed to be done before I leave, so I went ahead and bit the bullet. The first post of the New Features & Updates Announcement thread has been updated with the details. So, no more routine reporting of Scarlet R’s here. Els, the new report has links to the entries in the Fark contest pages, so you’re not losing that, you’ll just have to remember to check the active contest page periodically.

Sweet! Thanks much!

Curious
    Participant

Yeah I used the 12 mm extension tube on my milk drops and on the recent pictures I took at the United States National Botanical Garden in D.C. It’s a lot easier to mount that on the 18-105 than to try and use the MF 200mm without a tripod.

i used my 20mm ext tube on my 18-105 with the lens set at 70mm for my shots this week. that didn’t produce 1:1 macro but it sure got me closer than i’d have been otherwise.

lokisbong
    Participant

How do I figure out the ratio on my little Canon a560 point n shoot. The entries this week are all just about 1 inch across by 3/4 of an inch high. I held a jewelers loupe ( cheap three stackable lens dohicky ) up to the lens while the camera was in macro mode to achieve much more magnification than I can get otherwise.

8-25-2011 by lokisbong, on Flickr The dohicky I was talking about.

ravnostic
    Participant

How do I figure out the ratio on my little Canon a560 point n shoot. The entries this week are all just about 1 inch across by 3/4 of an inch high. I held a jewelers loupe ( cheap three stackable lens dohicky ) up to the lens while the camera was in macro mode to achieve much more magnification than I can get otherwise.
    … The dohicky I was talking about.

I would suggest putting the camera in macro mode, and shooting as close as you can, photograph a ruler (I’d use metric) from corner to corner across your frame. You can look up the size of your sensor and use a^2+b^2=c^2 to determine your diagonal width (in mm, pref.) on your sensor.

From there, do the same, only through the loupe dohicky. With this info you can determine the ‘natural’ and ‘enhanced’ ratio of magnification, the % gain, and if you can determine the the shooting distance from subject to sensor, the field of view as well. Any appoximation would be useful. This was how I determined the max. magnification of my DP in the ‘macro’ mode, which is about 2:1 (ie, the diagonal of my sensor picks up a FOW of a subject 1/2 that length.)

(And if I figured any of that wrong, someone please correct me!!)
    🙄

//edit: removed the pic coding in quoted area.

Curious
    Participant

lokisbong your sensor is 5.744 x 4.308 mm. there are 25.4mm to an inch so using either an inch or metric ruler take a picture of it. if you get 5.744mm in your full frame shot you are at 1:1 or true marco. you won’t get that most likely but lets say you get 11.4mm then you are 1:2 or 1/2 life size.

this site explains macro using the diagonal but frankly a simple right to left should work too. it was at their review site i got your sensor sizes.

lokisbong
    Participant

Well thank you both. It seems at best focus I am getting about 24 mm across. so that would be 1/4 life size? thats still a lot better than the 55 mm or so not using the loupe

ravnostic
    Participant

Given Curious‘s sensor dimensions, yep, about.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Huh…down to 16 link votes now…

Kestrana
    Participant

I saw that, voted us up one more 😛

Maybe it’s that bird guy from a couple weeks ago.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

LOL now that would make a lot of sense 😆

U-Man
    Participant

Mopsy – I have worn the Scarlet R as well.
    /now let’s all talk like pirates for a while. Arrrrrr!

Down voter topic – Bird Guy? Who’s that. The same guy as the un-creative bokeh guy?

Kestrana – Good race to the finish line this week. 🙂 I think you’re gonna take 1st though. I’m hoping for a tie.
    /I have been meaning to do that splash sort of shot for a while now and just haven’t. Yours is good. Is the color just food coloring in water or milk?

orionid
    Participant

Kestrana – Good race to the finish line this week. 🙂 I think you’re gonna take 1st though. I’m hoping for a tie.
    /I have been meaning to do that splash sort of shot for a while now and just haven’t. Yours is good. Is the color just food coloring in water or milk?

Yar. Food coloring in milk. So far, it seems water makes better drops into a pool, milk makes better crowns. I’ve also read that heavy cream works even better than milk, but haven’t tried it yet.

U-Man
    Participant

Hmmm. Y’know how you add glycerine for good bubbles? I wonder it it would make better crowns.

Zero_Exponent
    Participant

Congrats on 1st place Kestrana! ravnostic got 1st in total votes with three strong entries, congrats also. I love macro, and was very impressed by the overall quality of the entries. Good contest.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘08-24-11 – Barren Macro’ is closed to new replies.