08-29-12 – Gone, Daddy, Gone

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 08-29-12 – Gone, Daddy, Gone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Take a photo with vanishing point perspective.

Another quality theme by orionid!

Barracuda
    Participant
    fluffybunny
    Participant

+ IMG_1300.jpg

lokisbong
    Participant

I like 3440 and 1284. Still working on this one myself I think I have two of them not happy with my attempts for three last night. gonna try again later.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Vanishing point should be in the image, yes?

If no, how is any image with any depth at all not a potential entry?

I’m prepping my pix now, and I’m planning on at least 2 having strong straight lines and being firmly within the traditional interpretation. A third may end up being a shot from a river gorge with a semi-obvious point. A separate option has strong lines, but the vanishing point is off the image tot he right.

Barracuda
    Participant

I’d say any image that shows strong “lines” to a vanishing point would be within the bounds of the contest.

This image has a lot of depth, but no recognizable visual vanishing point:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ATX2i-8GrAM/UDFJcq3DkTI/AAAAAAAAJGQ/yGepmCkzu44/s1024/IMG_6418.jpg

As far as the river gorge goes, as long as it has a the feeling of a vanishing point vs just a narrowing of the gorge, you certainly wouldn’t lose my vote even if the point is “semi-obvious”. I am trying to stay away from the typical long straight road shots, which isn’t too difficult as I don’t have many decent shots of that sort.

lokisbong
    Participant

So this is good right? No obvious end to the road but serious vanishing point action.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lokisbongs-pictures/7869809480/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    This is just a b though I have even better.

Yoyo
    Participant

“Are those railroad tracks?!?”

lokisbong
    Participant

Do you mean Barracudas pictures. I believe they are. Not a train I would want to ride on. rather wavy tracks huh?

Barracuda
    Participant

“Are those railroad tracks?!?”

Indeed they are (or were!) Now long out of service, and many Texas summer days have warped the tracks along this stretch.

Yugoboy
    Participant

I have a feeling we’re going to see a butt-load of RR tracks.
    I’ve got 2 as Bs, but opted against for this very reason.

emiliogtz
    Participant

I also have my share of RR tracks and roads, but given that I’ve missed the last two contests, I want to enter this one with new images. Have one or two ideas, maybe one will work out.

lokisbong
    Participant

Man what I would do for some rails that are more than a few feet long with nothin obstructing the view down the tracks. the only tracks around here are not very long and are in one of the two museums and have old mining carts on them. Makes it really hard to get that vanishing point thing to work.

ravnostic
    Participant

There was literally no discussion in the theme suggestion thread, so I offer our favorite reliable source of information, Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_point

Personally, I agree we’re going to have a ton of roads, rails, and tunneled interiors. One of which will be fabulously shot, and then sublimely processed, and it will be the winner.

I’ll just hope I can at least make a good showing, as I’ve done a lot of traveling this past year (though not lately) and a lot of urban photography as well (ditto), and I’m shooting for ‘outside the box but within the realm’. The voters will sort it all out in the end.

bender16v
    Participant

I’m having a little trouble coming up with ideas for this one. I took some last week with this in mind, but upon further review I don’t think that they fit and are basically of a pattern with shallow DoF. I have one idea that might work and I’ll try to set it up today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • The topic ‘08-29-12 – Gone, Daddy, Gone’ is closed to new replies.