09-10-08 – Orange

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-10-08 – Orange

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    redwoodcruzr
    Participant

Well folks, it seems my Fark-fu has been erratic at best. Since I actually have a number of different possibilities for this weeks theme, I thought I’d offer them up to the Fark masters for a critique. Be brutally honest.

Thx.
    Red

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jbenigno/Farktography/OrangePipesmall.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jbenigno/Farktography/HaulOPunkinssmall.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jbenigno/Farktography/FireintheSkysmall.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jbenigno/Farktography/TigerSharksmall.jpg
    http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jbenigno/Farktography/Anemonesmall.jpg

I like the pipe (color jumps out at you)& the boat (great mood)for what my opinion is worth.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m torn on the boat pic. I also like the mood it communicates, but I’m just not sure its Farky enough.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Well folks, it seems my Fark-fu has been erratic at best. Since I actually have a number of different possibilities for this weeks theme, I thought I’d offer them up to the Fark masters for a critique. Be brutally honest.

Thx.
    Red

If you want votes you probably should ignore my comments, since I have a poor track record picking my own pictures! But having said that, I think the orange in the pipe photo jumps off the screen nicely. My guess is that the kids/pumpkin pic would get votes even though the orange isn’t as dominant as the others you posted. I like the boat in the harbor personally (but I’m biased since my dad is a commercial fisherman) but I think it would have to be cropped to make the orange a bigger percentage of the image to grab voters. I really like the anemone but don’t think voters have a good record when it comes to sealife(?). And images of sunsets seem to do poorly in general, even though the colors are pretty nice.

schnee
    Participant

I thought I’d offer them up to the Fark masters for a critique.

I’m not a master, but graphic artistically, blue+orange is a go-to color combination. The pipes image has this, but compositionally, it seems too symmetric or something.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Three different versions of the same picture.

Looking for input.

I like the first one best.

I like the first one best too, but I the less abstract ones might get more votes.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

I have a couple of others I haven’t uploaded yet, but these are the most interesting I think

Pictures of photographic equipment are always fun, but the earbud is the bomb…

schnee
    Participant

My guess is that the kids/pumpkin pic would get votes even though the orange isn’t as dominant as the others you posted.

But what about a kid who IS a pumpkin?

Which one is the kid?

jpatten
    Participant

I wish I had a picture of John McCain at the Republican Convention. He looked like a carrot person.

LOL!!!

Reminds me of a girl I know who went on a “carrot” diet and turned bright orange.

Wish I had a picture too!

When my daughter (in the picture ) was around 2 all she would drink is V8 splash… She turned Orangish

jpatten
    Participant

I have a couple of others I haven’t uploaded yet, but these are the most interesting I think

Pictures of photographic equipment are always fun, but the earbud is the bomb…

Its my wife’s cell phone

soosh
    Participant

I sometimes wonder about what percentage of ‘orange’ in the shot will make it qualify:

I think there’s enough here, even though there’s more blue:

This is sort of “variations on orange”:

And I’m waffling on whether there is enough orange here:

Your calls?

Absolutely enough orange in all of them. And I’m a sucker for early Ford V8s, though I’d wager that one doesn’t still have a flathead in it.

SilverStag
    Participant

And I’m a sucker for early Ford V8s, though I’d wager that one doesn’t still have a flathead in it.

Actually, I think it did. I’ll have to look for a different angle.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

OK, I can’t help pitching a question out this week too. I’m on the fence about two Koi shots, one of which is abstract and sloppy and another which is clean and high contrast.

I was also all set to post one spiky orange fruit but have a co-worker that likes a a different shot of the same plant.

Feedback is welcome, no need to censor.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

But what about a kid who IS a pumpkin?

Which one is the kid?

I think you should post that to the Wikipedia entry for “cute as a bug” cause that’s what it is, uh-huh…

niagh
    Participant

OK, I can’t help pitching a question out this week too. I’m on the fence about two Koi shots, one of which is abstract and sloppy and another which is clean and high contrast.

I was also all set to post one spiky orange fruit but have a co-worker that likes a a different shot of the same plant.

Feedback is welcome, no need to censor.

For the fish, I like the clear and high contrast one because you can see the variety of colours of the fish and the movement of the water. I have no preference for the fruit.

A question of my own:

When I was in the Netherlands I came across a fountain that had the water coloured orange (presumably for Euro 08 ). I am unsure how to crop it to get the best effect. The photo was taken with the primary subject as the person standing next to the fountain (who doesn’t want to appear). I’m tempted to concentrate just on the orange jets, but the building in the background is pretty cool (though not orange).

maximum portion of photo without the person
    possible crop 1
    possible crop 2

I shudder to think how much orange colouring was needed to get a colour that vibrant. 🙂

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

A question of my own:

When I was in the Netherlands I came across a fountain that had the water coloured orange (presumably for Euro 08 ). I am unsure how to crop it to get the best effect. The photo was taken with the primary subject as the person standing next to the fountain (who doesn’t want to appear). I’m tempted to concentrate just on the orange jets, but the building in the background is pretty cool (though not orange).

maximum portion of photo without the person
    possible crop 1
    possible crop 2

I shudder to think how much orange colouring was needed to get a colour that vibrant. 🙂

I like the building too, but I think the doorway distracts the focus from the pattern of the windows and the sprays of water. So, how about a top crop that’s just above the middle pane of the upper windows, cuts off the door, and a bottom crop that’s halfway down the front face of the circular wall of the fountain? The result would show the water sprays and four rows of windows on the building, with the top row of windows only showing the bottom half (with the shutters). Just a thought. 🙂

jpatten
    Participant

well as I was looking I came across another possibility.. I haven’t had this many choices in a LONG time..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)
  • The topic ‘09-10-08 – Orange’ is closed to new replies.