09-28-11 – Show of Emotion 2

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-28-11 – Show of Emotion 2

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    U-Man
    Participant

Although, I’ll admit that I recently had big problems with my 7D. I took it fishing one day and it just stopped working. It hasn’t worked since.

U-Man
    Participant

Good catch, CauseISaidSo–got it restored.

U-Man: The image in question is 139k…in theory it shouldn’t be a problem, but there could have been a hiccup. Hopefully that won’t happen again, but keep an eye out just in case.

Thanks CISS and Els’, I almost always have my pics between 130 and 140 kb and have never had that ‘fuzzy limit’ issue. Maybe my host just did a hiccup.

Thanks again. btw, which one was it? Divorce, Milk, Scaredy-frog?

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

It was scaredy-frog, U-Man. And you’re welcome, just glad I caught it before too many votes got cast.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It was the Scardey-frog one. I really suspect was more a brief host hiccup rather than the fuzzy limit thing since it was under the 150-180k I see more often with that.

aspidites
    Participant

That is a loooong story about why I switch from nikon to canon after shooting nikon film bodies for about 20 years.

I read the story with joy in my heart. I’m not joyful because of your bad experience. I’m joyful of the platinum lining of that black cloud. 🙂

Do you have an ‘L’ telephoto for your Canon? Any recommendations?

I carry 3 telephoto’s in my camera bag. The 16 – 35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, and the 70-200 f2.8.

If you are planning to get a new 7D you need to add the 1.6x cropping factor you get from that sensor, which I figure you already know.

Of those lenses I use the 70- 200 the most for wildlife(includes people) and some landscape.
    The 24- 70 is my primary landscape lens/ close in people lens.
    I don’t use the 16-35 that often, but when I need it…..I need it

the other lenses that I normally carry with me.
    65 mm Macro f2.8
    100 mm Macro f2.8
    135 mm f2.0 (portrait lens)
    500 mm f4.0 (Stuff I don’t really want to be to close to)
    2 1.4 teleconverters
    2 teleconverter
    extender rings

I have had the 70-200 the longest and it is the lens I almost always start out with on the camera. The thing is extremely sharp. It is the lens I took the eagle pics with. A friend has the new version and the pictures with that one are sharper than my 500.

ennuipoet
    Participant

I have had the 70-200 the longest and it is the lens I almost always start out with on the camera. The thing is extremely sharp. It is the lens I took the eagle pics with. A friend has the new version and the pictures with that one are sharper than my 500.

I love this lens, I would marry it and have it’s babies if nature and the State of New York would allow it. I carry this and my Sigma 24-70 with me all the time. I would love to trade up to the Canon 24-70L, but I choke on the price.

sleeping
    Participant

I carry 3 telephoto’s in my camera bag.

Technically, there are probably four:
    70-200mm
    500mm
    135mm
    100mm macro
    (plus possibly the 24-70 at the long end)

(The definition of a telephoto is a lens in which the distance from the front element to the imaging plane is shorter than the focal length of the lens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephoto/)

aspidites
    Participant

I carry 3 telephoto’s in my camera bag.

Technically, there are probably four:
    70-200mm
    500mm
    135mm
    100mm macro
    (plus possibly the 24-70 at the long end)

(The definition of a telephoto is a lens in which the distance from the front element to the imaging plane is shorter than the focal length of the lens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephoto/)

Yep that’s right, I’ll blame it on a rough day at work. I read the question as what L zoom lenses that I use.

Gonna have to quit reading fark while I’m debugging code. 😕

aspidites
    Participant

I love this lens, I would marry it and have it’s babies if nature and the State of New York would allow it. I carry this and my Sigma 24-70 with me all the time. I would love to trade up to the Canon 24-70L, but I choke on the price.

I’d love to upgrade to the new version of the 70-200, but can’t justify it right now. Maybe if I get the wedding jobs I’m quoting for this spring.

U-Man
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

/I still don’t know what I will get for a long lens. :/

Kestrana
    Participant

One that’s waterproof…

aspidites
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

/I still don’t know what I will get for a long lens. :/

If I had to choose one long lens it would be the 70-200 f2.8. I would say I use that lens on 80% to 85% of all the pictures I have taken.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

U-Man, I’ve also got the 70-200L f/2.8 IS and the 1.4 teleconverter and can vouch for what everyone’s said. It’s what I used for all of my youth football shots. You lose a stop with the 1.4x TC (2 with the 2x TC), but I never really found that to be a problem and it takes great shots. Of course, you’d have to decide if 280mm is enough zoom for your purposes.

I differ from aspidites in my percentage of use of it, though. I use my 24-70L f/2.8 as my normal walk-around lens and most of my non-football shots are with it.

aspidites
    Participant

U-Man, I’ve also got the 70-200L f/2.8 IS and the 1.4 teleconverter and can vouch for what everyone’s said. It’s what I used for all of my youth football shots. You lose a stop with the 1.4x TC (2 with the 2x TC), but I never really found that to be a problem and it takes great shots. Of course, you’d have to decide if 280mm is enough zoom for your purposes.

I differ from aspidites in my percentage of use of it, though. I use my 24-70L f/2.8 as my normal walk-around lens and most of my non-football shots are with it.

On the 7D the max without the 1.4 would be 320mm f2.8. With the 1.4x it would be 448mm f4. With the 2.0x it would be 640mm f5.6 but I don’t know how well the 7D’s foucus would be with the 2.0x on it. I think that only the pro bodies keep all the focus areas active with the doubler on, with the prosumer bodies only the center focus will work. At least that is how it is on my 5D.

U-Man
    Participant

One that’s waterproof…

Heh. I’m taking it out again tomorrow. With the 13 year old daughter. Wish us luck – for big muskies and dry cameras. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘09-28-11 – Show of Emotion 2’ is closed to new replies.