09-30-09 – Show Your Colors

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 09-30-09 – Show Your Colors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Show us your Best Flag shots. Does not have to be a national flag.

Thanks for the theme suggestion, jpatten!

justkat
    Participant

Okay, I have a weird question,

edited to add/change: weird question answered in the forum.

clouddancer
    Participant

Thinking, thinking, thinking. I know, you can see the gears turning and the smoke coming out, but I could really use some finishing thoughts.

My idea was to use an American flag that was folded up proper (living with a former Army member helps matters). Hubby is also part of the American Legion and some time ago he was tasked with ceremonially burning some flags because they’d reached the end of their service. Some of them were done but not all. So, I still have a faded decent sized, although frayed American flag. Also, in my possession is a copy of “To The Colors” which apparently to be played during the ceremonial burning. Oh yeah, and we have a trumpet (2, actually). My question is this, I have old gravestones next door (some happen to have flags next to them as they were service members), I have the music, and the faded flag (still folded neatly), plus the trumpet. I got this far, I’ve assembled my materials, now I’m just not sure what to do. I’ve thought of arranging it somehow but I’m conflicted as I think that having too many elements would detract from the picture and thus votes. I already have other flag shots to use, but I *really* *REALLY* want to pull this off. Having the music was also about Showing Colors, given the title of the (albeit) short piece plus its relevance to flags (don’t think it extends outside of America, though I could be wrong).

Suggestions? I’ve thought about propping up the flag on a gravestone showing the service and having the music somewhere in there. I’ve also thought about propping the trumpet with the music near or on a flag. I do not, however, in any of this, to be disrespectful to the flag itself, which Hubby will help me figure out. Oh, we also have an American Legion hat with the bugler button it, so that could stand in for something else.

Be honest, have I gone just a little nuts with this? Am I over thinking it? Meh. Work calls, even if it is slow. Thanks for listening/reading.

clouddancer
    Participant

Well so much for what I thought I was going to do by the grave. Turns out that they take the flags out some time in September so they’re no longer there. They’ll probably go back up around Veteran’s Day or something, but that’ll be too late for this. I’ll come up with something else.

U-Man
    Participant
    cameraflage
    Participant

**said with a tough guy voice**

I was going to do this but my shoulder is a bit sore from doing it so much this past weekend. (oh yeah, and I am old and infirm)

I did that from the wing strut of a Cessna, back in the dark ages of College. A bunch of us from the dorm took a quickie one-day skydiving course, which included one static-line jump. I was supposed to swing out of the door and tap the wing strut, but instead I swung out, grabbed hold of it and hung there for a couple of seconds, then let go. The jumpmaster said it wasnt exactly the proper thing to do, but he said it put me in the proper orientation for the ‘chute to deploy.

Oh, did I mention that it was the first time I had ever been in an airplane?

nobigdeal
    Participant

I am not sure if this is pushing the line.
    It’s a sock puppet snowman impaled on a fence post blowing in the wind like a flag.
    Sort of a cryptic warning to Santa and his minions to keep out.

justkat
    Participant

heh, it’s a little twisted, but I’m okay with that. 😉

clouddancer
    Participant

Color?:

Or B&W?:

They are 2 separate pictures and I actually took the B&W one in the B&W setting of the camera.

Thoughts otherwise?

nobigdeal
    Participant

color.

very nice btw

U-Man
    Participant

Color.

clouddancer
    Participant

Thank you. I was contemplating a couple of other elements to the picture, but I think keeping it simple worked best. Besides, after I thought about it, putting the folded flag on a gravestone might be somewhat disrespectful to the flag, so I avoided it.

Color it is.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

NBD: Not sure I’d go with that one..think it’s stretching things a bit much.

clouddancer: Definitely color. Also, I don’t think putting a flag on a gravestone would be disrespectful, especially if the grave were of a soldier.

soosh
    Participant

I’m probably going to suck on this theme. I didn’t prepare, don’t have much in the archives, and am not feeling the circus peanut creativity vibe today.

soosh
    Participant

also didn’t bring my camera to work and dont’ get off until an hour after the contest is posted to TF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘09-30-09 – Show Your Colors’ is closed to new replies.