10-03-07 – Tourist in Your Own Town

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-03-07 – Tourist in Your Own Town

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph the cool things in your town that tourists should go to see, and for some odd reason residents pass by or ignore.

Claff
    Participant

ah the joys of living in featureless Waldorf, Maryland….

FutherMucker
    Participant

Difficulty: No self portrait, or I post my jib. 😆

Uranus
    Participant

woot! never thought this would catch on!

kmmontandon
    Participant

How far afield from “home town” can we go?

Those of us in small towns may have to settle for some feature a few miles away.

Curious
    Participant

kmmontandon i have no idea how small your town really is but mine is 30,000 and too big. at least as i interpret the theme. i’m hoping for lots of interesting out of the way places/attractions.

this is not however a ruling by the “committee on theme rules”, just my personal opinion.

Uranus
    Participant

when i thought this up it was with the express intention that we actually go out in our own town, possibly with guide book in hand, and be surprised at what we’ve overlooked all these years…so how far afield? : the city limits!

(of course there’s nothing saying that if you now live in LA or NY, but your “home town” is ,say, Bismarck, North Dakota, that a trip home to mom is excluded…..)

Snug Tight
    Participant

The town I live in is about 1200 people. We are refered to as a “bedroom community” meaning there isn’t anything here. Everything (shopping, entertainment, going out to eat, working,) is done in Springfield about 15 miles away. Just thowing that into the conversation.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Honestly, I don’t see why it would matter (or be enforceable) that it’s specifically the town in which you live and/or grew up in or that the town is of a sufficiently small or large size. I grew up in one town near where I live currently, but the place where I live now has nothing–I don’t even live in the town proper, but if I were to go there, I could walk the “downtown” stretch in 5 minutes; it’s just a stretch of road with a slower speed limit and some shops. I’m more inclined to go back to where I grew up and grab shots of something, but I’ve also considered going to one of the other towns near here (there are several that pretty much run right into each other). I would think that as long as you’re capturing something that tends to be ignored by locals, that should fulfill the spirit of the theme, no? Thoughts?

staplermofo
    Participant

There will be a fark party in Chicago the weekend before the contest. This fark party will have an open bar ($40 for 4 hours, most everything but shots).

Chicago has everything. You can even punch Kitwilly and/or jorie and/or those guys that run into threads shouting “wooooooo” and or “LOL______” in the stomach! And you can do it the same day you kick a Picasso (it’s legal!), piss on Wrigley Field (I’m a southsider!), try to pry the spaceship off of Soldiers Field (where the alien mind rays that convinced the team that Grossman deserves a 1,000th chance came from), heckle Buddy Guy at his own club (with a Chicagoan in the audience, how rare!), and try to set the Water Tower on fire (mofo won’t burn!).

I’ll even show you around and give you some parentheses (you’ll need ’em if you want to blend in).

BECAUSE CHICAGO IS AWESOME! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! LOLCIVICPRIDE!

(Swingline/ACCO headquarters are just Northwest of here, but I’ve been told not to go back there.)

Klahanie
    Participant

There will be a fark party in Chicago the weekend before the contest. heckle Buddy Guy at his own club …)

I would if I could! Damn right I’ve got the blues. 🙁

staplermofo
    Participant

I would if I could! Damn right I’ve got the blues. 🙁

You could make it! Alaska is right by America.

Klahanie
    Participant

😆

linguine
    Participant

So have we decided if you have to take pictures of your own town or the area reasonably near your own town?

Curious
    Participant

So have we decided if you have to take pictures of your own town or the area reasonably near your own town?

see Elsinore on the 9th at 11:46AM. it’s on the honor system and should be an out of the way place/thing if i read it right. that should help the participation if nothing else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The topic ‘10-03-07 – Tourist in Your Own Town’ is closed to new replies.