10-10-07 – Farktography Classic: Bridges II

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-10-07 – Farktography Classic: Bridges II

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

but the reality is that neither were likely to explain the tie in and a verbose caption, while not against the rules, is not as effective as a visual.

You’ve said before yourself that a photo should be able to stand alone without a caption/explanation, so why would adding a second photo be any more acceptable? And as you say, the rules don’t say anything about captions, but they do say one entry per post. Are voters really voting for your second shot or the first one or the combination of the two?

I think sleeping‘s suggestion of linking to a non-voting/explanatory shot would be preferable.

schnee
    Participant

I think Curious‘ approach would work if the theme was Before and After or something like that – some sort of multi-image theme that clarifies the “how many images per entry” rule. And I get the joke regarding the “Two” – Bridge 1.0 and Bridge 2.0, which is clever (and, given the wording in the caption, I expected to see the top image be an entry in the first Bridges theme, which would have been pretty clever, too, but the FSM doesn’t show that). I don’t think that the entry-under-discussion is within the rules, but I’m not pushing for strict moderation or anything like that…

Artistically, my feeling is that an image should stand on its own – no textual or visual caption – which is why I rarely caption (but next week, well, the caption is too good to not use it I feel so dirty already). The entry-under-discussion (which I assume is the 2nd image) could have stood on its own, but alas, it does not have that chance.

From an FSM POV, the FSM will (IIRC) extract the first img link in an entry, so in this case, the broken bridge will be preserved (ignore the current FSM fails at making the thumbnails).

Curious
    Participant

sleeping i didn’t link it for the same reason it wasn’t posted separately. i doubted folks would see it or get the connection. i tend to think the average voter has ADD which may well say more about me than them.

Elsinore and schnee re the “photo stands alone” part. well i’m either hoist by my own petard or the explanation re why the reference photo fails to make sense to you. and perhaps others. a case of YMMV or perhaps MMMV 🙂

schnee wrote I expected to see the top image be an entry in the first Bridges theme, which would have been pretty clever, too, but the FSM doesn’t show that).
    didn’t have an entry in “bridges” the contest but did have a previous bridge photo of that bridge from “the path less taken”. and i deliberately didn’t use it because i thought the FSM-R thing would throw the whole entry out.

The entry-under-discussion (which I assume is the 2nd image) could have stood on its own, but alas, it does not have that chance.
    thanks, you have more faith in it than i did. and i wanted to do a before and after given the theme title.

if the FSM is only going to pick up the first image then the whole point of doing this with voting is moot. i didn’t want the first image voted on.

Elsinore can you disable voting at this point? i’d like to leave it up just so folks who might be interested can see what’s happening there.

Uranus
    Participant

in the broadest sense your bridge fits “revisited”, Curious, and i was under the impression that the images were only to be submitted separately for voting purposes, anyway….apparently i read that wrong as well (i post separately because I’m a vote whore, and a failed one at that 😉 )

perhaps we should leave the voting for this one, and adjust rule 5 in future contests to specify that separate posts are mandatory?

Curious
    Participant

in the broadest sense your bridge fits “revisited”, Curious thanks Uranus, although as an advocate of strict interpretation of “the rules” and/or “the theme” i guess i can’t be upset to see my loose interpretation challenged. 🙂

digidorm
    Participant

Nitpicky again… I love the composition of the four seasons on one bridge (by digidorm), but it looks to me like 4 photographs… it’s a fantastic art piece but more of a gallery piece than one that conforms to the contest. I believe 4 shots photoshopped together is too liberal (though it opens up a world of possibilities!)

Sorry guys, I wondered about it, too, but I figured the photos themselves were not altered… I know what you’re saying though. That’s what I get for trying to crossover from Photoshop contests! 🙂 I don’t take many pictures anyway. One deleted post in almost six years isn’t bad!

schnee
    Participant

(ignore the current FSM fails at making the thumbnails).

fails are gone.

I’m so cool

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Elsinore can you disable voting at this point? i’d like to leave it up just so folks who might be interested can see what’s happening there.

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier–had a performance to get to. I had planned on leaving it for this one, because it was up for so long, I didn’t feel it was fair to pull it at this point. However, I hadn’t planned on the FSM issue, so I can certainly disable the voting if you want, but it’s your call.

digidorm: I really hope we see you again soon–your photos were beautiful!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

fails are gone.

I’m so cool

You seriously rock, schnee! Are the OBO’s fixable?

Curious
    Participant

Elsinore lets leave it as is. i’ll live with the FSM thing if you all can live with my unorthodox double post.

and turning off voting now doesn’t seem fair for those 9 folks that voted for it.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

‘kay

Flavivirus
    Participant

Sorry guys, I wondered about it, too, but I figured the photos themselves were not altered… I know what you’re saying though. That’s what I get for trying to crossover from Photoshop contests! 🙂 I don’t take many pictures anyway. One deleted post in almost six years isn’t bad!

To be really really really clear, I love the photo as a composition, and I think it is a fantastic idea and very well executed. I really hope you didn’t take my critique in this contest as a critique of your work. It was truly eye-catching and vivid.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘10-10-07 – Farktography Classic: Bridges II’ is closed to new replies.