10-15-08 – See You at the Fair

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-15-08 – See You at the Fair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photos from State Fairs, County Fairs, or Carnivals.

Thanks go to SilverStag for the theme suggestion!

kmmontandon
    Participant

… do Rodeos count? Because if not, we’re gonna need a separate theme.

(not that I’ve participated for six months, or anything …)

SilverStag
    Participant

I think Rodeos would classify as a different theme, but what do I know (says the guy who’s never been to one and doesn’t like horses to begin with 🙂

staplermofo
    Participant

What about music/cultural fairs/festivals?

SilverStag
    Participant

My thought process was fairs of the cotton candy, rides on trailers/bright lights/carnival games variety. Places where you can spend insane amounts of money trying to win cheaply made stuffed animals playing crooked games. What did the theme suggest to you?

corsec67
    Participant

Hmm, would pictures from fairgrounds, but not taken during a fair, count? Or how about a sprint car race at a fairgrounds?

In July I camped for 2 weeks in the Chico, CA fairgrounds while doing firefighting just east of Chico, CA.

SilverStag
    Participant

Fairgrounds without a fair or carnival, I think not. The fair is the thing. I might stretch to include a Ren Faire, even.

corsec67
    Participant

So, something like this might work? (Ren Festival in Larkspur, CO)

SilverStag
    Participant

I’d say that was a fair, yes.

staplermofo
    Participant

My thought process was fairs of the cotton candy, rides on trailers/bright lights/carnival games variety. Places where you can spend insane amounts of money trying to win cheaply made stuffed animals playing crooked games. What did the theme suggest to you?

It suggested that when I have kids I do a better job of exposing them to this stuff than my parents did, and the slightest hint that maybe this kind of thing doesn’t happen in Chicago proper. Then it starting singing about parsley and some other crap and hanging out with guys with swords and flagons.

headfreckle
    Participant

Would the Maker Faire count? Here’s an example

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2508075363_713a2fac23_b.jpg

U-Man
    Participant

Hey Stag, I neglected to take the summer fair photo opportunities. 🙁 You seem to be keeping the definition of fair pretty narrow and I have nothing that fits. While it wouldn’t kill me to sit out a week, I wonder if there are others in the same situation.

Again, I don’t really care how this one works out. But I ask you to consider opening it up a bit. Empty fairgrounds would be do-able any time of the year. What about theme-parks?

soosh
    Participant

There’s no fair here at all without at least a ferry ride and an overnight stay. And that’s a pretty damned sad one.

I was planning on buying a few HO scale toy fairground pieces to make a diorama, but won’t have time for that. Guess I’m out, too, unless I can think of something.

SilverStag
    Participant

I guess theme parks could fit loosely. soosh, I’m sorry if this contest was unfair to you, it wasn’t intended to be.

soosh
    Participant

Well no, of course not. There are other contests that include things that don’t occur where I live, and I’m cool with that. It won’t be the first time I go outside the box a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • The topic ‘10-15-08 – See You at the Fair’ is closed to new replies.