10-23-13 – Weather 2: Weather or Not

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 10-23-13 – Weather 2: Weather or Not

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Photograph terrestrial based weather phenomena: sunshine, clouds, rain, snow, fog, wind, lightning, tornadoes, hurricanes, sleet, hail, ice, mudslides, flooding and rainbows. For photos in which the main subject isn’t the weather itself but rather evidence of weather, the subject should be directly affected or interacting with the weather. Difficulty: Each entry must have a different kind of weather.

Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays Yugoboy from swiftly bringing you this theme!

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Thanks again for the link, Els. And a preemptive FYI – two of my entries this week look similar to previous entries but are different frames.

I’m outta here until the 28th, y’all. I’ve hopefully got the scraper setup to automatically start the next contest, so everyone keep their fingers crossed.

// Almost forgot – actually have a few b-sides this week if anyone’s interested

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Enjoy your time away, CISS! Thanks as always for everything you do with Bibliostats!

ennuipoet
    Participant

Els: Not to be a tattler (snitches get stitches) but Dark Johnson’s entry in this thread is an either iPhone Pano or a stitched Pano. (http://www.fark.com/comments/7979829/Theme-of-Farktography-Contest-No-442-Weather-2-Weather-Not-Details-rules-in-first-post-LGT-next-weeks-theme&new=1#c87118545)

No, wait, never mind, you got it.

Guess I won’t get no stitches.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m struggling with that distinction, too. Is an iPhone pano where it’s simply scanning across a scene to create a pano in a single exposure in violation of the rules? Perhaps not the letter, but the spirit? But we’ve been doing that with giant panning film cameras for years, so isn’t that kind of the same thing? I’m really torn here…

nobigdeal
    Participant

I’m inclined to let it slide.It’s technically a single exposure, same as if you used a pano film camera. It is just done with technology.

Yugoboy
    Participant

How different would it be if I took a wide-angle attachment and then cropped the top and bottom off my image. Not that I’m a fan of iPhone pics, but if that’s what he’s using and it’s a single exposure without HDR… why not?

I suppose if the pano function turned out a near-impossible picture, I’d feel differently but having watched how it works when my wife has used it, I don’t see a big deal. It’s limited to a reasonable arc, not like you can do 360-degrees.

But, I certainly won’t object if it’s disallowed, as I can’t do one with my Nikon without significant fish-eye type distortion.

sleeping
    Participant

I’m fairly sure the sweep panorama on the iphone works the same way as it does on Sony cameras, it’s basically a stitched multi-exposure panorama created in camera, not technically a single exposure the way it would be e.g. on a swing-lens film camera, although the interface seems to do a pretty good job of hiding that fact.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’m fairly sure the sweep panorama on the iphone works the same way as it does on Sony cameras, it’s basically a stitched multi-exposure panorama created in camera, not technically a single exposure the way it would be e.g. on a swing-lens film camera, although the interface seems to do a pretty good job of hiding that fact.

See, that was my concern, because I think that’s what my Android phone does, too. You’re panning across the scene and it’s “scanning” things in, but in actuality taking separate snaps of the scene. There’s a lag time at the end where everything is actually patched together.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Also, guys n gals: the difficulty on this theme requires different weather in each photo.

Yugoboy
    Participant

Did I say that?

Damn.

Back to the drawing board (or external hard drive, as the case may be)!

linguine
    Participant

Well that messes up my plans

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I’d honestly be ok with ignoring that, cause I don’t care personally. The issue there, though, is that it’s already been posted and people have started submitting under that requirement.

Barracuda
    Participant

Hummm… guess I’m back to the drawing board for my last shot… guess I’ll post up my first two for now…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘10-23-13 – Weather 2: Weather or Not’ is closed to new replies.