11-07-12 – Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-07-12 – Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Create photos of the paranormal or extraterrestrial, ie UFOs, Sasquatch, alien autopsies and so on. Inspired by the cheesy photographs manufactured by people from the 1950-1970 era, in all their grainy goodness. Standard farktography rules apply.

I’m not sayin’ it’s fluffybunny who suggested this theme. But…it’s fluffybunny.

fluffybunny
    Participant

Man I wish I had time to play, but alas I do not. May not even be able to answer questions so if you don’t hear back from me, ya’ll just work it out amongst yourselves.

ravnostic
    Participant

Standard f’graphy rules apply, but ‘in all their grainy goodness’ confusses me, then. I’m guessing that photoshop is of course out, but pp’g for ‘grain’ is in? Please explain, as you would to a child….

(I’m certain I haz 2 for this, though fuggin’ ST is back and posting on time will be iffy at best, for the next 4 months…why don’t we just get rid of ST and call DST the standard, anywayz?)

ennuipoet
    Participant

Standard f’graphy rules apply, but ‘in all their grainy goodness’ confusses me, then. I’m guessing that photoshop is of course out, but pp’g for ‘grain’ is in? Please explain, as you would to a child….

(I’m certain I haz 2 for this, though fuggin’ ST is back and posting on time will be iffy at best, for the next 4 months…why don’t we just get rid of ST and call DST the standard, anywayz?)

Traditionally, photos of these phenomena are enlarged significantly to show the “entity” or the “spaceship”

thus the cliche of the grainy image. You can, of course, ramp your ISO as high as it will go and use no no reduction to emulate this, though sensor noise and grain really look nothing alike IMO.

ravnostic
    Participant

I have ideas…

That image, though, is totally real.

cameraflage
    Participant

I want to believe…

Yugoboy
    Participant

I want to have props…

Gonna be sitting this out unless an actual UFO crosses my path tomorrow.

No ideas, no props… looking forward to the general weirdness Thursday

ennuipoet
    Participant

I want to have props…

Gonna be sitting this out unless an actual UFO crosses my path tomorrow.

No ideas, no props… looking forward to the general weirdness Thursday

Yeah, I’m out as well, unless I find a really compelling streetlight tonight.

CauseISaidSo
    Participant

Yugo and ennui, if it helps, remember the “paranormal” part of the theme which would include ghosts and apparitions. No need for props there necessarily.

I’m hoping to get time to get a couple of entries for this one, but I’ve got several things going on so I’ll have to play it by ear.

emiliogtz
    Participant

You can, of course, ramp your ISO as high as it will go and use no no reduction to emulate this, though sensor noise and grain really look nothing alike IMO.

Threadjack.

This is something that baffles me to this day, why do so many people think that grain looks like noise and viceversa? I’ve had some people tell me my B/W shots have lots of noise, they even get upset (and look at me as if I was crazy or joking) when I tell them that it’s grain what they are seeing.

/Threadjack.

ennuipoet
    Participant

You can, of course, ramp your ISO as high as it will go and use no no reduction to emulate this, though sensor noise and grain really look nothing alike IMO.

Threadjack.

This is something that baffles me to this day, why do so many people think that grain looks like noise and viceversa? I’ve had some people tell me my B/W shots have lots of noise, they even get upset (and look at me as if I was crazy or joking) when I tell them that it’s grain what they are seeing.

/Threadjack.

Because so many people don’t know what grain is, why it is or how it can be used artistically.

Kestrana
    Participant

I don’t know that we’ve really had a grain discussion on Farktography but for this contest I’m totally cool with grain.

/2 cents

Yugoboy
    Participant

Yugo and ennui, if it helps, remember the “paranormal” part of the theme which would include ghosts and apparitions. No need for props there necessarily.

I’m hoping to get time to get a couple of entries for this one, but I’ve got several things going on so I’ll have to play it by ear.

You reminded me of an “Ooops” shot from this past summer’s trip to the Adirondacks. My dog got in the way of a long exposure shot… So… I’ll have one.

Barracuda
    Participant

I’m out this week, no shots and no time. I had one possible, but would have taken too much touch up to make it even remotely believable.

ravnostic
    Participant

I don’t know that we’ve really had a grain discussion on Farktography but for this contest I’m totally cool with grain.

/2 cents

post election, I’m hoping this refers to alcohol….

//damn; you mean I still have to process my shots?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘11-07-12 – Close Encounters of the Third Kind’ is closed to new replies.