11-12-08 – Float Like a Butterfly

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-12-08 – Float Like a Butterfly

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    SilverStag
    Participant

Ye Gods redwoodcruzr. Has there been like, a reactor accident in your neighborhood recently?

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What do you think folks? Butterflyish enough? Haven’t a clue what it is, but it eats nectar, has a fuzzy body and double wings.

If you know what it is, shout out.

It’s some type of clearwing, possibly one of the hummingbird clearwings. Check out bugguide.net and search on clearwing and you will probably find a close match somewhere in there.

redwoodcruzr
    Participant
    Elsinore wrote:

What do you think folks? Butterflyish enough? Haven’t a clue what it is, but it eats nectar, has a fuzzy body and double wings.

If you know what it is, shout out.

It’s some type of clearwing, possibly one of the hummingbird clearwings. Check out bugguide.net and search on clearwing and you will probably find a close match somewhere in there.

Great lead Elsinore. It is indeed a clearwing. Found it right away on Bugguide.net. It is a Scarlet-bodied Wasp Moth (Cosmosoma myrodora). Since it is a moth, you’ll be seeing it again when the contest goes live.

Morningbreath
    Participant

This one did not make the cut tonight.

I like the face on this one. I can’t tell if its Jesus with sunglasses, Sam Elliott or the Grateful Deads “Steal Your Face”

Elsinore
    Keymaster

lol Morningbreath! I’m not sure either, but that’s some pretty sweet fur!

Contest linky: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=4014393

SilverStag
    Participant

It looks like Grandma Chewbacca

Claff
    Participant

I see Homer Simpson with biker sunglasses, a thick goatee and a Beatles wig.

Morningbreath
    Participant

I used a different photo of that moth in the contest, the face is still there, just not as prominent. I am saving this photo for some future contest.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

Here’s a couple I didn’t use this week for your enjoyment.

geometry puzzle

nice headlights

flying V

refueling before takeoff

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

And for what it’s worth redwoodcruzr, I think that scarlet clearwing is gorgeous!

orionid
    Participant

This one did not make the cut tonight.

I like the face on this one. I can’t tell if its Jesus with sunglasses, Sam Elliott or the Grateful Deads “Steal Your Face”

Nah, man, nah….. That’s obviously ZZ Top.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Great shots so far!

I have to ask. How do you guys get such good bug shots.

Ever since this theme was added to the que I have been trying to photograph a butterfly.

I have spent several hours sitting in a field, sitting on my deck, sitting in the yard, all to no avail.

The only time this whole summer and fall I was close enough to shoot a butterfly I didn’t have my camera.

I found this guy dead outside my door a few days ago but he is in rough shape and I couldn’t get a good shot.

So after all this I looked around the house last night and managed to find a few somethings with butterflies to shoot.

Oh well ..at least I found something.

swampa
    Participant

I went to the butterfly enclosure at the Melbourne Zoo to take mine

orionid
    Participant

I have to ask. How do you guys get such good bug shots.

While my butterfly isn’t quite up with everyone elses, I have a few other nifty bug pics from just walking around with a 300mm zoom lens from 6-10 feet away. A good size bug or flower will fill up the frame and my lens in particular does exceptionally great bokeh. It’s the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR with manual focus override. Can’t recall the arperature specs off hand, it’s not terribly fast, but it gives great color and shots as far as I’m concerned. It’s the same lens I used for the barbed wire photo last week.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Mine were either in my yard, at the park up the road, or at a local friary’s nature preserve. I often have better luck with my digicam on macro than my 30D, because the DOF is deeper with the smaller sensor. Some butterfly species seem more skittish than others, so a long lens definitely helps with those.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘11-12-08 – Float Like a Butterfly’ is closed to new replies.