11-25-09 – Hello Old Friend. It’s Nice to Meet You.

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 11-25-09 – Hello Old Friend. It’s Nice to Meet You.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Everyday we pass sights that catch our eye but don’t register in our brains. Stop and take a picture of something that you pass by regularly. Something very familiar to you, but you have never really paid much attention to or have always wanted to photography but haven’t. Difficulty: subject cannot be a person.

Theme suggestion by NoBigDeal–thanks!

olavf
    Participant

Went down to Old Sacramento and that general area to take some shots for this one today. The cloud cover was spotty, but when the sun was cooperating, the light effects were pretty cool. Apparently we weren’t the only ones with that idea because I saw at least five or six other people doing stuff – all amateurs presumably, but serious about what they were doing. Pretty cool to just stand back and watch other people in between the stuff I wanted to shoot along the way.

But, I’ve a question – can there be people in the shots if they’re not the subject? I have a few where I just couldn’t get a point where there wasn’t someone in the background (in a few cases they’re hardly noticeable unless you know where to look, but they’re there) that I might like to use, but had in my mind ‘no people’ at all in the shots. Have enough to work with either way, but…

linguine
    Participant

I think people in the background would be allowed, it just says the subject can’t be a person.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

What ^^^^ said.

olavf
    Participant

Cool. That makes my job easier (or harder depending on how you look at it…)

nobigdeal
    Participant

Background people are cool.

U-Man
    Participant

I really like this theme but life has conspired against me and I have nothing. I’m pretty sure that the idea is to take specific pics for the theme. If I don’t get any between now and go-time, would an archive search for photos that “fit’ be OK?

/I’d be cool if that doesn’t work. It would probably be healthy for me to skip one of these weeks anyway. 🙂
    //you down with OCD. Yeah, you know me.
    ///…sorta like another way to call a cat a kitty…is a great lyric
    ////aaaaand I’m going back to work.

thepostess
    Participant

If I can’t pull from archive, I’ll only have 1 shot.

1 of the archive shots is of something that is sort of an old friend, it’s a thing that was special to me and since I do not live there anymore, I miss it. I used to see it everyday as it was across from where I worked.

Can we get a judgment on this, or am I making this more difficult than needed?

nobigdeal
    Participant

Archive shots are fine.

I always stop and shoot stuff I pass on the road and have been way too busy the past few weeks to get out and shoot so…

/besides I’ve probably stopped and shot most everything around here already!

thepostess
    Participant

Cool.

Kestrana
    Participant

Oh cool, that helps me too. I was really not happy with one of the pictures I took for this week but I didn’t really have anything else I could think of to shoot since I live in strip mall wasteland.

nobigdeal
    Participant

The only thing I would say is if you pull from the archives it should be something that is local to you. Not something you shot while on a road trip and only passed one time, but something that you pass many times.

orionid
    Participant

The only thing I would say is if you pull from the archives it should be something that is local to you. Not something you shot while on a road trip and only passed one time, but something that you pass many times.

So, I was going to avoid this question, but now I’m going to split hairs anyway. What if it’s a frequent road trip. Example: I’ve driven from upstate NY to Northern VA and back close to 20 times now (and I’m doing it again tomorrow, with a short detour in CT). Several of the Farkholga photos (Orange county overlook, Army Heritage museum) were stuff along the way that I kept wanting to stop and shoot and finally had an excuse.

/TMI shots, as much as I like them, are out. That was an intentional 90 minute detour.
    //If still too road-trip-ish, no worries. I actually had other shots already designated for this contest.

Kestrana
    Participant

Yeah I have so many neat pictures of Mt. Rainier since you can see it from just about everywhere here but I didn’t think I could use them because it wasn’t something “new” per se.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Orionid, that should be ok. I did say something you passed once.

I think you understand the spirit of the theme so I trust your judgment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘11-25-09 – Hello Old Friend. It’s Nice to Meet You.’ is closed to new replies.