12-03-08 – Pinhole Camera

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-03-08 – Pinhole Camera

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    mopsy
    Participant

Okay all you technical Farkers. Here’s what this novice did. Tell me if I can enter my photos. First, I have been told how easy it is to get dust in your camera when taking the lens off. So it did not do that. I took construction paper, go ahead and laugh, cut a circle, folded it and folded it again to find the middle. Poked a hole in the middle with a needle. Hole was too small to show anything. Read Soosh’s suggestion that digital may need a larger hole and did that. Adhered it directly on the lens. Put the camera on manual, played with the f-stop, focused and took pictures. I like the way they turned out. Kinda whispy looking. But you need to tell me if I can enter them.

nobigdeal
    Participant

Okay all you technical Farkers. Here’s what this novice did. Tell me if I can enter my photos. First, I have been told how easy it is to get dust in your camera when taking the lens off. So it did not do that. I took construction paper, go ahead and laugh, cut a circle, folded it and folded it again to find the middle. Poked a hole in the middle with a needle. Hole was too small to show anything. Read Soosh’s suggestion that digital may need a larger hole and did that. Adhered it directly on the lens. Put the camera on manual, played with the f-stop, focused and took pictures. I like the way they turned out. Kinda whispy looking. But you need to tell me if I can enter them.

Thats is similar to what I did this summer just messing around. If you look at my earlier post you see an example.It kind of gives a bit of a Holgaish effect.

As for if it is acceptable, nobody ever ruled it out when I brought it up the first time.

Kilerclaw? Elsinore?

I have been playing with the pinhole lens cap but am still not overjoyed with anything yet.
    I think pinhole photography is better suited to film but I don’t have the time to shoot off a roll and develop it before tomorrow.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

It’s fine by me. It’s not unlike the pinhole I made with one of the aperture disks on my Lensbaby. This is such a specialized contest, that I think we need to allow for any and all methods of producing a pinhole picture, whether that involves a lens or not, special camera, film or digital, whatever. Turnout’s likely to be low as it is, so I would prefer to err on the side of inclusion. Unless Killerclaw raises a serious objection, I don’t think any good faith effort at pinhole photography should be disqualified.

nobigdeal
    Participant

It’s fine by me. It’s not unlike the pinhole I made with one of the aperture disks on my Lensbaby. This is such a specialized contest, that I think we need to allow for any and all methods of producing a pinhole picture, whether that involves a lens or not, special camera, film or digital, whatever. Turnout’s likely to be low as it is, so I would prefer to err on the side of inclusion. Unless Killerclaw raises a serious objection, I don’t think any good faith effort at pinhole photography should be disqualified.

Good because I’d rather use this

than this

even though the second one is a true pinhole the dust on my sensor is ruining all the shots I am taking.

🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

How did you do the dog shot again?

sleeping
    Participant

A hole stuck on the front of a lens in most cases is going to produce mechanical vignetting rather than functioning as a pinhole aperture (basically just blocking out light from the edges of the image). You can tell that NoBigDeal’s example isn’t working as a pinhole because the background is out of focus and the foreground is sharp. If the hole was functioning as an aperture it would all be more or less the same sharpness (or unsharpness)

Some lenses are designed so the aperture is near/at the front of the lens (like the lensbabies), in which case you could produce pinhole images by adding a pinhole aperture to the front of the lens, but the results would look like they were shot with a pinhole camera.

nobigdeal
    Participant

How did you do the dog shot again?

I took a piece of construction paper cut it to the size of the lens, poked a small hole in it and put it behind a uv filter.

So in effect I had a pinhole lens , sorta, kinda

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Hmm those are good points, sleeping.

nobigdeal
    Participant

A hole stuck on the front of a lens in most cases is going to produce mechanical vignetting rather than functioning as a pinhole aperture (basically just blocking out light from the edges of the image). You can tell that NoBigDeal’s example isn’t working as a pinhole because the background is out of focus and the foreground is sharp. If the hole was functioning as an aperture it would all be more or less the same sharpness (or unsharpness)

Some lenses are designed so the aperture is near/at the front of the lens (like the lensbabies), in which case you could produce pinhole images by adding a pinhole aperture to the front of the lens, but the results would look like they were shot with a pinhole camera.

I doubt that I am going to use those shots. Even though they are shot through a pinhole they are not true pinhole shots. The ones where I adjusted the aperture & focal length to just show what comes through the hole are pretty close though.

I’ll probably pick the least bad three that I used a true pinhole.

nutkick_42
    Participant

Ugh, looks like my triumphant return will have to wait another week. I wanted to do this one, but I didn’t have time to build a camera and my digital doesn’t use a lens cap so that wasn’t an option.

/will vote anyway

Elsinore
    Keymaster
    cretinbob
    Participant

Too much work. Pinholes are a lot of fun, but I don’t think this is a particulary good assignment. I liked the challenge and wish I had been paying closer attention and I would have started a rig weeks ago. But unless you have a DSLR and a body cap you are willing to sacrafice, this isn’t pinhole photograpy. 😈

cretinbob
    Participant

Yeah a “pinhole” is really a misnomer. They usually are quite large. It sounds like what you have done are valid images. The thing with pinhole cameras is they tend to be very distored, depoending on the back, and out of focus because of the relatively large apeture and lack of (omst time) fucosing adjustment.

cretinbob
    Participant

this

nobigdeal
    Participant

Yeah a “pinhole” is really a misnomer. They usually are quite large. It sounds like what you have done are valid images. The thing with pinhole cameras is they tend to be very distored, depoending on the back, and out of focus because of the relatively large apeture and lack of (omst time) fucosing adjustment.

I beg to differ. Done correctly with the right equipment it is an amazing way to take pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfduggan/sets/1359738/

(not mine)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘12-03-08 – Pinhole Camera’ is closed to new replies.