12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful

Forums Forums Farktography General Chat This week’s contest 12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Elsinore
    Keymaster

Nothing complex here. Capture the beauty in something plain. Difficulty: People and/or animals cannot be your main subject(s).

agent00pi
    Participant

How’s about a concrete factory? I’m not sure if it really fits the criteria, though.

//Edited to take down picture – I may have jumped the couch by actually putting the photo up before the contest goes up. Or is that acceptable?

Thanks.

Mr.BobDobalita
    Participant

Rule question:

Can you use a photo of a subject that you have used before, but has different composition? Just curious. Thx!

Elsinore
    Keymaster

agent001pi: You can post anything you want here; it’s up to you whether or not you wish to post photos you intend to use for the contest. The actual contest takes place on Fark, though. The idea for this theme is to find the beauty in something that otherwise seems plain, so there’s quite a lot of leeway there.

Mr. BobDobalita: As long as it’s a different photo than one you’ve used before, it’s fair game.

Choc-Ful-A
    Participant

When I read the description of the contest I thought is was “beauty in something which is simple/uncomplicated” and was headed in that direction. Now I gather it’s really “beauty in something normally considered plain”, which seems pretty different. I think I can still reconcile the photos I’ve been working on, but I’m not 100% certain the two ideas are close enough. I might post the photos here for feedback before posting in the contest, so thanks for clarifying that we could do that. I’d hate to burn a photo I can’t use again because I misread the theme. 🙂

Elsinore
    Keymaster

I don’t really think either interpretation–beauty in something simple/uncomplicated vs beauty in something plain–is out of line. The description includes the phrase “nothing complex” and “beauty in something plain” so I think your interpretation is equally valid. And again, this is going to be one that will be somewhat open to interpretation (“beauty” and “plain” are pretty subjective, no?) other than the difficulty, of course, which specifically excludes people/animals as primary subjects.

Translation: I wouldn’t sweat it, though if you’d feel safer posting something here for a ruling, then feel free.

corsec67
    Participant

I was thinking about entering one of my “lighting a lighter” pictures:

Flickr page

(I guess my interpretation would be “Beauty in something ordinary”, although one of my friends said that a lighter could be considered “complex”, having quite a few moving parts, most of which I am using in this picture.)

millera9
    Participant

That qualifies under my interpretation of the theme corsec! I say use it!

FutherMucker
    Participant

(I guess my interpretation would be “Beauty in something ordinary”, although one of my friends said that a lighter could be considered “complex”, having quite a few moving parts, most of which I am using in this picture.)

Haha! This was also some thought of mine. On weekend, a friend teach me meaning of the word (mundane), and explain to me that maybe this challenge is to find beauty in things of ordinary, and not usual things of normal to consider beauty on. For example, flowers have already beauty, precious stones have already beauty, but who notice the real beauty of some spark until is capture a unique photo of it in action? corsec67, I think this photo is perfect for description. Nice!

U-Man
    Participant

Corsec67, I also think that your photo fits the theme perfectly.

When I was thinking of this theme, I initially wanted to get folks to see beauty in things not usually recognized as beautiful. However, in my opinion, a simple photo of a flower is OK too. I think that MrBob’s tree-grass-blue sky photo nicely meets the subjective criteria. One of the fun things about these contests is the various interpretations of the theme you all present. It makes me take a step back and say to myself, “Yeah…I didn’t think of that…cool”.

Elsinore
    Keymaster

Yeah, there are some themes that have a pretty narrow focus, while others are much more open to interpretation. It’s nice to have a mix of the two, and it’s always interesting to see where some people go with things.

FutherMucker
    Participant

I know there are people who don’t think on insects as animals. I do. But maybe this must be clear before? If no, then I have some nice image from the small world. Please let us know.

Flavivirus
    Participant

Insects = Animals

corsec67
    Participant

Animals are much more than just mammals, and would definitely include insects, and spiders.

kmmontandon
    Participant

I don’t think “nothing complex” is a guideline – it’s just saying that the topic isn’t complicated.

As well, I predict lots of close-up pictures of flowers and sunsets, with a fairly predictable winner. Which is why I prefer more narrow themes, as the obvious ones have obvious winners …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • The topic ‘12-26-07 – Simply Beautiful’ is closed to new replies.